4/13 Game Thread - Back to Boston

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

38333B373233286D6B1C253D343333723F335C0 wrote: Why didn't they stay with Hudson?  Nicasio come sin and walks the guy on four pitches. 

Need some hits now.

Hudson is probably headed for DL. He doesnt look right
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6760767E7067202C557278747C793B767A78150 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

Hudson was brought in to Hold.  I have no problem with not using Watson.  Kuhl might have been tired, Stewart might have pulled him (who knows?). 

Hudson blew it.  The Nicasio made it worse.  I don't blame Hurdle for using his set up man in the 8th inning.

No, Clint blew it too.  No way Nicasio should have been pitching to  Ramirez. One of a series of "bad plays" that combined to gift this game to the Sox.

This should be in the W column. 

I rarely agree with Dog at all, but I do with this one.  Yes, it should have been in the win column.  It's convenient to always blame Hurdle in defeat when a loss happens.  It seems like its always the thing to do.  I think this was someone else than Hurdle today. This simply isn't a good team regardless.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

0E0C161006630 wrote: My reaction was that the defense gave the game away. Marte does not look like a center fielder at all. Then add that Mercer played the ball coming from Marte (on the one he let drop in front of him) as though it were a tag play. He could have been on the outfield side of the base and reached out for the ball and had a force at second.

Wasn't that Gosslin ? Believe he was even charged an error on that play ?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

38333B373233286D6B1C253D343333723F335C0 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

Hudson was brought in to Hold.  I have no problem with not using Watson.  Kuhl might have been tired, Stewart might have pulled him (who knows?). 

Hudson blew it.  The Nicasio made it worse.  I don't blame Hurdle for using his set up man in the 8th inning.

Besides the strike zone "suddenly" getting smaller on both sides of the plate when he entered the game , Nicassio gave up a pop up to center which Marte played like a lazy 8 year old. Then a fly ball to center that Matre should have caught .. played it like a 10 year old. And then a cheap "stick out your bat .. poke it to right field" single on a very good pitch. Did you watch the game or just looking at the box score ?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

6171704751515D320 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

No, Clint blew it too.  No way Nicasio should have been pitching to  Ramirez. One of a series of "bad plays" that combined to gift this game to the Sox.

I rarely agree with Dog at all, but I do with this one.  Yes, it should have been in the win column.  It's convenient to always blame Hurdle in defeat when a loss happens.  It seems like its always the thing to do.  I think this was someone else than Hurdle today.  This simply isn't a good team regardless. 

Nicasio was a victim not a goat.
Quail

Post by Quail »

7654475A595C5B54774056565A350 wrote: Hate to be a downer, but folks this isn't going to end well.

Well that was unfortunately prescient. >:(
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1017061506575A630 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

I rarely agree with Dog at all, but I do with this one.  Yes, it should have been in the win column.  It's convenient to always blame Hurdle in defeat when a loss happens.  It seems like its always the thing to do.  I think this was someone else than Hurdle today.  This simply isn't a good team regardless. 

That is fine to think that way. However, this wasn't a blame it on Hurdle loss. There were other factors here than Clint. Pittsburgh is generally an organization that makes a starter go 6 innings and then turn it to the bullpen. Well, Kuhl did just that. Pitched well for 6.1 innings and then turn it to the pen. This was a failure on different levels then Hurdle.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

1202033422222E410 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

That is fine to think that way.  However, this wasn't a blame it on Hurdle loss.  There were other factors here than Clint.  Pittsburgh is generally an organization that makes a starter go 6 innings and then turn it to the bullpen.  Well, Kuhl did just that.  Pitched well for 6.1 innings and then turn it to the pen.  This was a failure on different levels then Hurdle.

Yeah .. I mean Hurdle did nothing outrageously bad in the game. It was pretty much a Starling Marte meltdown with some bad luck mixed in. He just has to catch the lazy fly ball to center or the little more difficult one that was better hit or just make a good throw to 2nd base to get the force. One of those 3 probably does it. Plus he was caught stealing and fanned with 1st and 3rd 1 out.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This team just has a bad feel to it right now. Flaws and issues all over the place.

Never for one moment today did I think the Pirates would win.

And I'm sure Red Sox fans felt the same way ... they just knew that somehow they would win and somehow the Pirates would blow it.

I hope no one is anticipating even one win at Wrigley.

This could snowball in a hurry.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6166776477262B120 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

That is fine to think that way.  However, this wasn't a blame it on Hurdle loss.  There were other factors here than Clint.  Pittsburgh is generally an organization that makes a starter go 6 innings and then turn it to the bullpen.  Well, Kuhl did just that.  Pitched well for 6.1 innings and then turn it to the pen.  This was a failure on different levels then Hurdle.

Yeah .. I mean Hurdle did nothing outrageously bad in the game. It was pretty much a Starling Marte meltdown with some bad luck mixed in. He just has to catch the lazy fly ball to center or the little more difficult one that was better hit or just make a good throw to 2nd base to get the force. One of those 3 probably does it. Plus he was caught stealing and fanned with 1st and 3rd 1 out.

There is a fine line between winning and losing with this team. It's becoming evident that every facet must be right in order for this team to secure a win. Right now, this is a bad team on so many levels. There is some talent, but not the talent that will compete for a title. Too many questions remain and no answers seem to be evident.