June 17th. I really don't like Arrieta.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think any Fathers' Day game should mention the famous Ralph Kiner quote, "On Fathers Day, we again wish you all happy birthday." ;D
steve49

Post by steve49 »

6562736073222F160 wrote: The closer concept only works well when you also have a strong setup man. It's great to have a closer who slams the door in the 9th. But if you don't have the strong set up guy, the closer gets fewer leads to save and often sits idle in the pen watching the other relievers blow the game in an earlier inning. In those cases, managers can either blindly follow the formula and accept losing games in the 7th or 8th in order to keep the closer fresh for the 9th in those games where the lead hasn't gotten away. Or they can use the closer more liberally and try to make sure there is still a lead by the 9th even if that means using another pitcher for that inning. That seems to be the situation hurdle finds himself in. For a guy who usually adheres strictly to formulas, I'm glad he's thinking outside the box. I don't care what other teams do. Some don't have the right personnel for the closer concept but do it anyway. That's not good managing.

It's really not thinking "outside the box" to say if your BP get's their butt blown apart in the 7th and 8th inning , you are going to lose a lot of ballgames. It's pretty elementary . Hopefully  you don't think me and around the 30 managers that seem to adhere to a specified closer are not capable of that thinking. It's really not outside the box or advanced thinking. That said , you next decide how you win more ballgames. I think it's going by the standard "formula" the rest of the league has come too use. Even Cleveland uses Allen as the closer now. Also if Hurdle didn't say he was going to use his great mind decide when to use Rivero -Nicasio , I would have had no problem with Friday night as that one really did favor Rivero facing the top of the order . I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Bottom line is this is not a good baseball team and there is nothing Hurdle is going to do about it. I actually hope he stops running Rivero out there for 5 out saves. Once these kind of guys are "abused" enough to lose 3-4 MPH , they are pretty useless.
Was I unclear? Isn't this whole discussion about the traditional use of the closer vs the way Hurdle said he wanted to use Rivero? Since Hurdle's comments seemed to go against the standard philosophy I call that "thinking outside the box." I cannot imagine why you take exception to that. 

Not taking exception to that and no , you were not unclear.Just saying that IMO , this is not really new or innovating thinking. It's been used , thought about and tinkered with a lot. No big deal, just a little difference on how to interpret "thinking outside the box." Managers to me seem like they are intact "going back " to more of a role for the BP aces. For instance Terry Francona , country to what Dog thought , used Miller in the following ... in 2016 he had 26 appearances.. finished 7 games with 3 saves. 2017 in 30 games he has finished 2 with ZERO saves. But I do understand fully that if you get blown up in the 8th , the game is over. Just disagree a little on the best way to get to the 9th.

Ha Ha .. Miller gets his first save of the season. So we move off the never stuff for Allen and Miller.