Cutch Hitting .211

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

676265636B6178656C7F79740D0 wrote: Anyone else see the quick TV interview with Cutch about his struggles?  If so please jump in if you feel I mischaracterize him.

He said he was not losing sleep over his struggles, that their were more important things in life.  He also said he was doing his best.

To me, he seemed too comfortable with the whole situation.  I wonder if his problem is that he doesn't have the fire- the drive- any more.  A lot of guys get to this level because they are almost obsessed with the game.  To borrow from Andy Barkett, Cutch is not playing "with his hair on fire".  He seems way too relaxed and may have just lost his edge.  If this is the case, I am ready to move on from him- not because I disagree with him (my family is more important than my job too) but because I do not think he will turn things around.
I saw it but got a different impression. To me he looked like a guy who is frustrated, who has probably been talking about it with coaches all season, responding to questions from media all season and is just tired of failing but has no answers. I suspect he's very tired of these questions and just downplayed it on camera rather than get all worked up about something he can't seem to fix. It's got to be very difficult-and embarrassing-for him to go from an elite player the struggling guy of this year and last. I didn't read anything more into it than him being frustrated and tired of being asked about it.
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

Thanks. You're take is more than likely closer to the truth than mine.
Ecbucs

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Ecbucs »

we all handle things a little differently and I think Cutch is frustrated.

He just doesn't have the personality to throw bats or temper tantrums in public (which is a nice change from many players).
IABucFan

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by IABucFan »

I haven't posted on here in quite a while for various reasons. But, I figured I'd chime in here. It's incredibly sad what has happened with Andrew McCutchen. If his jersey had any other name on the back besides McCutchen, he long ago would have been relegated to bench duty at best, or, more likely, DFAd. But, the reality is that his jersey DOES say McCutchen on the back of it. And that's worth something, if for no other reason than an ode to the best player this team has seen, certainly since Bonds.

Remember back when it was discovered that Jason Kendall needed glasses? I honestly wonder if it's something like that. I don't think McCutchen is hurt. Your skill set doesn't decline that drastically from 28-29, and then again from 29-30. Less than two years ago, he was one of the top five players in the world. Now, I've got to believe there are guys in AA that would be outperforming him.

I realize the game is more about the name on the front of the jersey than the back. It certainly is for me. I root for the Pirates, not any one player. But this isn't just any one player. I know that. You know that. NH knows that. Hurdle knows that. Cutch knows that. Everyone knows that he gets special treatment, as well he should IMHO.

But, there comes a time when the special treatment runs out. Is it the offseason? We buy him out, bid him farewell, and say thanks for the memories? Trade him? I don't think you can bench him. I just don't. As much as they have jerked him around, from the changing of his positioning in center, to the trade talks, to changing his spot in the order, to changing his position, can Clint really walk up to him and say, "Andrew, you're hitting 7th tonight?" I don't think he can. This isn't MLB The Show, but for the same token, it's not Little League either. Cutch is a professional and an adult. If he can't handle being told what the rest of the world (and probably himself if he's honest) can see, namely that he isn't a superstar anymore, maybe it is time to move on.

Sad that two years ago, we had people flooding this board talking about how cheap ownership was not to extend Cutch and that he would have a statue outside PNC one day. Now, we're talking about whether or not the bag of balls we get for him can at least be new baseballs, not the cheap used ones they use in BP.

Maybe if Bobster says that Cutch isn't a good player anymore, like he did with Cole, Cutch will turn it on like Cole did? ;D
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

Cutch isn't a good player anymore! ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

090102352306212E400 wrote: I haven't posted on here in quite a while for various reasons.  But, I figured I'd chime in here.  It's incredibly sad what has happened with Andrew McCutchen.  If his jersey had any other name on the back besides McCutchen, he long ago would have been relegated to bench duty at best, or, more likely, DFAd.  But, the reality is that his jersey DOES say McCutchen on the back of it.  And that's worth something, if for no other reason than an ode to the best player this team has seen, certainly since Bonds.

Remember back when it was discovered that Jason Kendall needed glasses?  I honestly wonder if it's something like that.  I don't think McCutchen is hurt.  Your skill set doesn't decline that drastically from 28-29, and then again from 29-30.  Less than two years ago, he was one of the top five players in the world.  Now, I've got to believe there are guys in AA that would be outperforming him.

I realize the game is more about the name on the front of the jersey than the back.  It certainly is for me.  I root for the Pirates, not any one player.  But this isn't just any one player.  I know that.  You know that.  NH knows that.  Hurdle knows that.  Cutch knows that.  Everyone knows that he gets special treatment, as well he should IMHO.

But, there comes a time when the special treatment runs out.  Is it the offseason?  We buy him out, bid him farewell, and say thanks for the memories?  Trade him?  I don't think you can bench him.  I just don't.  As much as they have jerked him around, from the changing of his positioning in center, to the trade talks, to changing his spot in the order, to changing his position, can Clint really walk up to him and say, "Andrew, you're hitting 7th tonight?"  I don't think he can.  This isn't MLB The Show, but for the same token, it's not Little League either.  Cutch is a professional and an adult.  If he can't handle being told what the rest of the world (and probably himself if he's honest) can see, namely that he isn't a superstar anymore, maybe it is time to move on.

Sad that two years ago, we had people flooding this board talking about how cheap ownership was not to extend Cutch and that he would have a statue outside PNC one day.  Now, we're talking about whether or not the bag of balls we get for him can at least be new baseballs, not the cheap used ones they use in BP.

Maybe if Bobster says that Cutch isn't a good player anymore, like he did with Cole, Cutch will turn it on like Cole did? ;D

Good post. I agree. The radio guys were discussing this during the rain delay on Tuesday.

McCutchen isn't like any other player. He gets the special treatment. He also helped Huntington become a good GM too. There is respect there. He can't be just kicked to the curb.

McCutchen has to know he is hurting the team. Its kind of crazy the last two games the bats exploded and he didn't play (one pinch hit single). I do think he should bat lower in the order. He should tell Hurdle to do what he thinks is right for the team.

Cal Ripken finally stopped his streak. He knew he was hurting the team starting every game and batting in the middle of the order. Very well respected player. I know McCutchen isn't about to retire, but if there was news that he went to Hurdle and said to bat him where ever, I think he would get positive feedback. I hate hearing the boos (got heckled big time last home game as some guy was yelling from the stands) but I also understand the frustration.

Good post, IABuc. And I sure hope Bobster did his magic again.

(P.S. I don't think all the criticism is fair as McCutchen doesn't have a better replacement.)

Ecbucs

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Ecbucs »

Unless he is selfish, I don't think Cutch would have a big problem batting lower in the order especially if he knows he would get the three spot back if he started hitting well again.

The longer he performs poorly the less time he has in the line up. I could see him giving way for Meadows later this season if it gets to the point that the team won't get anything for him in trade and they know they won't pick up his option for next year.

Probably a 90% chance that the team has already decided not to pick up the option.
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

Cutch has been a special player but I don't think the team is held hostage by that. With Polanco coming back and Cutch having been benched the last 2 games, this may be the time he moves down in the lineup. I have a feeling he could be batting 6th tomorrow.
dmetz

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dmetz »

Of course Cutch is selfish.  He's been a selfish, him first player for the last 3-4 years.

The whole reason he stinks now is because he turned into a lazy, showboater and gave up two key facets to his game at the age of 28.

Triples and basestealing.   He decided he would rather pull everything and try to be a 30hr hitter.  He decided he would stare and jog at all those long fly balls rather than dig for a triple.  He decided he wasn't going to steal bases anymore because he didn't want to injure himself.   He decided he wanted to look cool playing center with his feet first sliding etc..., instead of being fundamentally  sound.

He is at fault for what he has become and he's not interested in playing like he's 25 with everything to prove.   He plays the game like he's 38 and ready to retire.

So retire and write articles.  Or man up and play the game 100%. With all of the tools you have
Ecbucs

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Ecbucs »

69606879770D0 wrote: Of course Cutch is selfish.  He's been a selfish, him first player for the last 3-4 years.

The whole reason he stinks now is because he turned into a lazy, showboater and gave up two key facets to his game at the age of 28.

Triples and basestealing.   He decided he would rather pull everything and try to be a 30hr hitter.  He decided he would stare and jog at all those long fly balls rather than dig for a triple.  He decided he wasn't going to steal bases anymore because he didn't want to injure himself.   He decided he wanted to look cool playing center with his feet first sliding etc..., instead of being fundamentally  sound.

He is at fault for what he has become and he's not interested in playing like he's 25 with everything to prove.   He plays the game like he's 38 and ready to retire.

So retire and write articles.  Or man up  and play the game 100%.  With all of the tools you have

will just say I don't see this.