Is Jordy injured?/Game thread 7/6

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

29222A262322397C7A0D342C252222632E224D0 wrote: The batter should go with the pitch, but like wvbucco and mouse pointed out, they either can't or don't.

Since they are trying to pull everything, you pitch outside since they will roll over their hands and hit a soft contact to the left side of the infield.  If the batter starts going with the pitch, I am sure the shift will change and maybe be pitched to a little differently. 
You usually see hitters rolling over on off speed pitches that they get out in front of not 99 MPH fastballs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If you are a pull hitter, where do you want the ball?

I assume you answered "inside".

If you are a pitching knowing a batter is going to pull the ball, where would you pitch him?

This why McCutchen was/is such a dangerous hitter. When he is going well, he sprays the ball everywhere. Bell is like that too.

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I once played a high school game against Brad Nelson, who later got a cup of coffee with the Brewers. He hit the longest home run I've ever seen in high school. Pulled a pitch right down the line and hit a shelter house about 100 feet behind the right field foul pole, and it was 335 down the right field line.

Anyway, our catcher came back to the dugout after the inning and said, "That pitch was six inches OUTSIDE." Still pulled it.

Anyway, I get what you're saying. It does make sense. If a guy is a dead pull hitter, even on something on the outside corner, then I suppose that makes sense. Harrison made a great play just to get to that ball, but had no chance to throw the guy out.