Mason Martin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Mason Martin

Post by UtahPirate »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: They have "extended spring training" at Pirate City for the recent signees where they practice, play games and then get assigned to a league depending on how they do. I was there in June 2016 and met Scooter Hightower (aptly named at 6'6") He was a 15th rd pick in 2015, played at Bristol in 2015 and was attending spring training in 2016 to see where he would be assigned. He ended up in WV.

And he's pitched fairly well in WV again this year. 34 K's 4 BB's 2.61 ERA a WHIP just below 1.0 through 38 innings. He's one I personally like and keep track of. He needs to get moved up before the year ends though as he's old for low A at 23.
OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

3/3 this afternoon with 2 doubles.

I was just pulling up some other high profile HS draft picks over the last couple of years, and since the new draft rules moved up the signing date so that picks most picks actually play the season they are drafted. Martin is outpacing all top prospects. The only guy that went to rookie league and raked to this tune was Bo Bichette, a 2nd round pick last year (66 overall) who's now a top 20 prospect in the most recent BA. It's not unheard of for scouts to whiff on a guy like that, it will likely take a bit for the national prospect raters to come around to him, but looks like the scouting dept struck gold that this flier was willing to sign.

I honestly think in like 10 years, we're all going to be pointing at this draft class as the fuel for this team's success.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Mason Martin

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I looked up Bo Bichette, assuming he was the son of Dante Bichette. I didn't even have to click on anything as his picture popped up. He looks just like his father.
CTBucco

Mason Martin

Post by CTBucco »

5A6779747B717A587067767071150 wrote: 3/3 this afternoon with 2 doubles.

He ended up 3-4, 3 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB. Batting average at .400 even. The young guy is if off to one heck of a start.

Shouldn't the atmospheric component (hot, humid, heavy air) of hitting suppression in the FSL apply just as much to the GCL?
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

734E505D52585371594E5F59583C0 wrote: 3/3 this afternoon with 2 doubles.

I was just pulling up some other high profile HS draft picks over the last couple of years, and since the new draft rules moved up the signing date so that picks most picks actually play the season they are drafted.  Martin is outpacing all top prospects.  The only guy that went to rookie league and raked to this tune was Bo Bichette, a 2nd round pick last year (66 overall) who's now a top 20 prospect in the most recent BA.  It's not unheard of for scouts to whiff on a guy like that, it will likely take a bit for the national prospect raters to come around to him, but looks like the scouting dept struck gold that this flier was willing to sign.

I honestly think in like 10 years, we're all going to be pointing at this draft class as the fuel for this team's success.

Pirates do look really smart on this one. The 350 he received for signing is way , way above slot. I can't find the exact number but I see it's like 130 for 10 rounders. So can't be more than around 100K. It's not hard at all for scouts to miss a kid playing for Southridge High in the state of Wash. He also gained 30 pounds his senior year. Btw... Baseball America had him at 312 which would be around top of the 10th round