extend Cutch at a decent price or trade him undervalued?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1B0B0A3D2B2B27480 wrote: Why would cutch sign an extension?

He did before. The Pirates just had a good three run. His pregnant wife is from Pittsburgh. He is the face of the team. He is very popular in a small sports town. Get his number retired.

You really need a reality check.  He did it before doesn't mean he will do it again.  Don't kid yourself Neal.

I don't need a reality check. I was just answering your question on why he could sign an extension.

We don't even know if there is an offer on the table. Or if one is coming.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

123435223424570 wrote: I have to admit.  I'm laughing at this one.  What incentive would Cutch have resigning in Pittsburgh when the cheap owner won't commit to bringing in good pieces to contend?  He WON'T sign for any of those numbers.  As a matter of fact, NH said he would have to sign to a lower amount then he is worth.

The answer is very very simple to comprehend - you deal him in the offseason for a very good return.  Let's him walk after 2018 for nothing in return is criminal.  Trading him at the trade deadline lowers his return.  This team won't commit to bringing in the necessary pieces to contend in 2018, so what's the point of keeping him?  Again, pretty simple answer.

Not having pieces to contend in 2018 is a reason to not bring Neal back.  That would make 2016, 2017 and 2018 lousy seasons and no reason to think that 2019 would be any better.

Not entirely his fault.  The idiot that owns this franchise will have a say in what pieces come in.  I think everyone knows we won't bring in a good piece if we plan to keep Cutch to help win this.  I don't see 2018 being any different than this year.  Cutch needs to be dealt.  Pretty simple rationale for it.

It doesn't have to be entirely his fault.  He has said he could win with the constraints he is under.  If next year is another  building year it is time to give someone else a chance.

Is this remotely possible: Nutting sees the future if he holds the current course - a team teetering on the edge of falling to 4th or 5th in the division, fans staying home, TV contract due in 2 years, his biggest investment beginning to lose value.

As a result, if he is a good business man this would be the winter to shock everyone and give Neal the freedom to build this team out. Sign Cutch, execute trades that are for today and not the future.

If Nutting were willing to take payroll to $120/125M, I wonder if that would allow Neal to make a legit run next year (one not based on 15 variables all breaking the Pirates way)?

Silly I know; but he must surely know he can't keep going the way he current runs the team.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4D5D5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: I have to admit.  I'm laughing at this one.  What incentive would Cutch have resigning in Pittsburgh when the cheap owner won't commit to bringing in good pieces to contend?  He WON'T sign for any of those numbers.  As a matter of fact, NH said he would have to sign to a lower amount then he is worth.

The answer is very very simple to comprehend - you deal him in the offseason for a very good return.  Let's him walk after 2018 for nothing in return is criminal.  Trading him at the trade deadline lowers his return.  This team won't commit to bringing in the necessary pieces to contend in 2018, so what's the point of keeping him?  Again, pretty simple answer.

The question wasn't about whether Cutch would want to sign or if the team wants to sign him.  It was about whether you would do it if you could. 
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6364727A7463242851767C70787D3F727E7C110 wrote: I have to admit.  I'm laughing at this one.  What incentive would Cutch have resigning in Pittsburgh when the cheap owner won't commit to bringing in good pieces to contend?  He WON'T sign for any of those numbers.  As a matter of fact, NH said he would have to sign to a lower amount then he is worth.

Not having pieces to contend in 2018 is a reason to not bring Neal back.  That would make 2016, 2017 and 2018 lousy seasons and no reason to think that 2019 would be any better.

Not entirely his fault.  The idiot that owns this franchise will have a say in what pieces come in.  I think everyone knows we won't bring in a good piece if we plan to keep Cutch to help win this.  I don't see 2018 being any different than this year.  Cutch needs to be dealt.  Pretty simple rationale for it.

It doesn't have to be entirely his fault.  He has said he could win with the constraints he is under.  If next year is another  building year it is time to give someone else a chance.

Is this remotely possible: Nutting sees the future if he holds the current course - a team teetering on the edge of falling to 4th or 5th in the division, fans staying home, TV contract due in 2 years, his biggest investment beginning to lose value. 

As a result, if he is a good business man this would be the winter to shock everyone and give Neal the freedom to build this team out.  Sign Cutch, execute trades that are for today and not the future. 

If Nutting were willing to take payroll to $120/125M, I wonder if that would allow Neal to make a legit run next year (one not based on 15 variables all breaking the Pirates way)?

Silly I know; but he must surely know he can't keep going the way he current runs the team. 

We will know answer before Christmas
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

260001160010630 wrote: I have to admit.  I'm laughing at this one.  What incentive would Cutch have resigning in Pittsburgh when the cheap owner won't commit to bringing in good pieces to contend?  He WON'T sign for any of those numbers.  As a matter of fact, NH said he would have to sign to a lower amount then he is worth.

As a result, if he is a good business man this would be the winter to shock everyone and give Neal the freedom to build this team out.  Sign Cutch, execute trades that are for today and not the future. 

We will know answer before Christmas

Interesting - the FAN Cook and Poni show talked about this very idea: Bob Nutting has a one time opportunity to reinvent himself and jump start team support by signing Cutch to a new deal. 

They even offered up a proposed contract term: 4 years between $74M and $80M. Maybe one of them is an OBN member! :)

The more I think about this the more I think it would be a very wise business move.  And maybe, the force of economic realities will push Nutting toward the unthinkable.  Maybe....probably not....
notes34

Post by notes34 »

We can hope! Cutch is playing at a very high level. Of course that may have teams calling in the offseason with a deal that can't be refused.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Let's trade him at the 2018 deadline with a secret handshake that he will sign as a free agent.

He knows his value will bring a great return to help the Pirates down the road. The same Pirates he will be the "captain" of as he heads into retirement.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think McCutchen is counting down his days in Pittsburgh.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7F425C515E545F7D5542535554300 wrote: I think McCutchen is counting down his days in Pittsburgh.

I don't think he wants to leave, but I don't think he wants to leave much money on the table, if any.
BenM

Post by BenM »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: I think McCutchen is counting down his days in Pittsburgh.

I don't think he wants to leave, but I don't think he wants to leave much money on the table, if any.

And I would totally understand if that was the case.

This is probably his last shot at a big contract.