Game Thread: 8-15-17 Bucs vs. Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

How embarrassing.  To take that statement literally and then count the 2-3 million we took on as some sort of defense is flat out embarrassing.

Defending this FO has become a religion for some people. 

Take your sacred cow and go home
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I apologize Dog, I don't want you to "go home".   I'm usually mildly entertained by your gymnastics in defense of all things ownership and Front office.

If everyone generally agreed, there would be nothing to discuss. Theres always next year.and perhaps 2023.

I'm finally surrendering 2017
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Pirates are 14 out of 15th in attendance this year. Looks like any playoff action is a dream.

Plusses for the season?

Cutch rebounds

Taillon recovers from cancer

Rivero dominates

Josh Bell has power and should fill the hole at first base.

Adam Frazier is a contributor

Willilams and Kuhl show they belong in rotation

Osuna might be a hitter.

Did I miss any?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

Did any trade returns for bullpen help bring back major league ready players? 

I would think holding onto Nicasio is for next year as he would be needed next year not some kid a few years away. 

Perhaps holding out for an even better deal in August.  I'm pretty sure he is a free agent after this season.

Yes, you are correct.  He is a free agent after this season.  Huntington said he wasn't traded because they still wanted to win this year.  I know many don't believe that statement, but that is why someone like Nicasio wasn't moved.  I assumed the return was pretty bad as I thought Nicasio would have been dealt for sure.

So NH wants to compete this year.  But won't take on a few million and lose a scrub prospect for an outfielder. 

Got it.

He took on over $7 million since August???

7 million? How?

Benoit is due 2.6 mil but Bucs received cash considerations to help pay that. Rodriguez is due about 1.9 million. Kontos is due about 580,000. That's a little over 5 million. Subtract the "cash considerations" from the Phillies for Benoit. Subtract about 1.9 million still owed Watson. So NH has taken on the difference between approximately 3 million and the cash considerations. Or am I forgetting about something?

Yes.

Sean Rodriguez is due $5,750,000 in 2018. 

Ok. I was just looking at this year.

I know we don't nit-pick around here (what I was told), but even your numbers came up with a few million.  Yes, no scrub prospect was lost, but millions of dollars were added.   

My figures for this year are far less than 7 million. And we can't just say they are taking on 5.75 million for S-Rod next year until we know what moves they make to reduce payroll accordingly. Just like we have to factor in what they saved on Watson right now when they added players. Adding Benoit, S-Rod and Kontos and subtracting Watson nets about a gain of 3 million. But all or part of Benoit's 2.6 million for this year is paid by Phillies. So they likely added less than a million.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

Did any trade returns for bullpen help bring back major league ready players? 

I would think holding onto Nicasio is for next year as he would be needed next year not some kid a few years away. 

Perhaps holding out for an even better deal in August.  I'm pretty sure he is a free agent after this season.

Yes, you are correct.  He is a free agent after this season.  Huntington said he wasn't traded because they still wanted to win this year.  I know many don't believe that statement, but that is why someone like Nicasio wasn't moved.  I assumed the return was pretty bad as I thought Nicasio would have been dealt for sure.

So NH wants to compete this year.  But won't take on a few million and lose a scrub prospect for an outfielder. 

Got it.

He took on over $7 million since August???

He didn't bring in quality.  Sorry.  Big difference.  Sure, he took on more, but where is the quality.  Stop defending. S. Rod, Kontos and the garbage arm from Philly, Benoit aren't what I would constitute as difference makers. You make it sound like quality was added.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea to sit here and act like adding Benoit, Kontos and Rodriguez to the payroll is equivilant to Huntington going out and adding significant quality and money to this payroll is a flat out joke. Cmon Dog you can't actually believe this and defend this at the same time.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

3D343C2D23590 wrote: How embarrassing.  To take that statement literally and then count the 2-3 million we took on as some sort of defense is flat out embarrassing.

Defending this FO has become a religion for some people. 

Take your sacred cow and go home I'm with you here definitely one of the most ridiculous comments made on here to try and justify the continued ineptitude and incompetence of this front office and owner.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I didn't say quality was added. I responded to the comment that Huntington won't add a few million to compete. But he literally did that. He added millions to the current roster. Literally.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: I didn't say quality was added. I responded to the comment that Huntington won't add a few million to compete. But he literally did that. He added millions to the current roster. Literally.

Don't you think it is stupid to add millions to the current roster and not improve quality?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2B20282421203B7E780F362E272020612C204F0 wrote: I didn't say quality was added. I responded to the comment that Huntington won't add a few million to compete. But he literally did that. He added millions to the current roster. Literally.

S-Rod and Watson's remaining $ for this year was essentially the same. So what they added for, as you say, "the current roster" was about $580,000 for Kontos and whatever part of Benoit's 2.6 remaining salary was not paid by the cash considerations from Philly. We don't yet know the 2018 roster but S-Rod will make 5.75 million assuming he's still on that roster. If he is, we can't say now that they added that much to the 2018 payroll because we don't know who will be subtracted from that 2018 payroll to compensate. So while it sounds very supportive to say NH added millions to payroll, we don't know that that's true.