Can a team pull together if the veterans are this grumpy?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Sorry, for using the term 'always". I sometimes forget how I am taken so literally most of the time.

Do you think the media has no influence on how or what people think?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

777C74787D7C672224536A727B7C7C3D707C130 wrote: Sorry, for using the term 'always".  I sometimes forget how I am taken so literally most of the time.

Sure. But a fair media is what’s important, not trying to be a lackey for any institution.

And I wasn’t trying to gig you on being too literal about “always”. I felt that you discounted the media’s response when the team had positive things to write about. I felt you were trying to say the media has always, generally, been against the Pirates. And I think the media was all-in when there was a good story to report.

Just like I think most of us were all in when it seemed the Pirates were executing a plan. This is what happens when any organization betrays its community purpose.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2E293F37392E69651C3B313D3530723F33315C0 wrote: Sorry, for using the term 'always".  I sometimes forget how I am taken so literally most of the time.

Sure.  But a fair media is what’s important, not trying to be a lackey for any institution.

And I wasn’t trying to gig you on being too literal about “always”. I felt that you discounted the media’s response when the team had positive things to write about. I felt you were trying to say the media has always, generally, been against the Pirates. And I think the media was all-in when there was a good story to report.

Just like I think most of us were all in when it seemed the Pirates were executing a plan.  This is what happens when any organization betrays its community purpose.   
Dog, your exact words were, "The media has always been against the Pirates. Now, with social media it got worse." Social media didn't just happen this year. Your message was clear that you think the media has always been against the Pirates since before social media. Now you say that's not what you meant. It's not a matter of wrongly taking you literally. You were very clear. You also said, "I am not saying the media is wrong. They could just report things or have some feel good stories about their current players (not Gerrit Cole). Lately, it has mostly been negative opinion reporting." But everyday the Trib and Post-Gazette have articles profiling the players in ST. There's also a lot of criticism of the BMTIB, which you admit is not wrong. It's well deserved. The fans have been screaming about it before the media took up the cause. So I don't think the fans' outrage has been influenced by the media. If anything, it's the other way around. If you don't like reading the negative opinions, then focus on the positive stories about Polanco, Bell, Frazier, Moran and others in the local papers. It sounds like you are so defensive about the team that you focus only on the negative comments and accuse the media of always being biased against the team even tho you acknowledge the negative comments are not wrong. You're making my head spin. (And I hate when that happens.) :)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: It’s not the media’s fault Bob Nutting doesn’t spend enough money and dip into free agency a little bit and try to improve this team on the field. Also, not the media’s fault that  Neal Huntington can’t acquire better players when he makes trades and he hasn’t drafted very good in the last few seasons. Do those two things which they are capable of doing more often and the media and fan base will get off your back. Keep in mind Huntington always likes to bring up 2013-2015 success to the media while doing interviews, and I’ll still say while they were fun exciting seasons the Pirates still basically accomplished nothing in those 3 years. They won one wildcard game that’s it. They didn’t win a division title, they didn’t win a playoff series, and they didn’t win a pennant or World Series. So Huntington can’t keep falling back on those years every time he gets asked a tough question. Those years are done and gone and nobody cares about get anymore. You have had two straight losing seasons that’s the now. Fix the problem now and quit talking about the 3 years where you essentially accomplished nothing.

I think we all understand that the media doesn't sign players and draft players. 

Since you brought up 2013-2015, how many times was it reported how the low payroll Pirates did a great job?  They won with a low payroll.  They were the second best team in the league record-wise in 2015.  Instead, it was why didn't they spend more to be even better.  Do you see the difference.

The same people are praising the moves the Brewers made this off season to bring their payroll up to par with the Pirates.  That's a shot against the Pirates.  You don't see that? 

The Post-Gazette ran a story about Gerrit Cole and how relaxed he is now in Houston.  Cole doesn't play for the Pirates, he isn't even in the same league anymore.  Again, that is a shot against the Pirates.  Where is the story about Taillon taking over the #1 rotation spot? 

Again, it isn't the media's fault the Pirates are losing and started a rebuild.  In general, the media is very negative against the Pirates.  Any story can be spun to a positive one.  Instead, they are all spun to be negative.  People don't like Nutting.  I get it, it sells.  Now, people will say I am defending the Ownership.  I am not.  I am just pointing it out.

the media didn't praise the Pirates in 2013-15?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

654845545342551516270 wrote: Sorry, for using the term 'always".  I sometimes forget how I am taken so literally most of the time.

Sure.  But a fair media is what’s important, not trying to be a lackey for any institution.

Just like I think most of us were all in when it seemed the Pirates were executing a plan.  This is what happens when any organization betrays its community purpose.   
Dog, your exact words were, "The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse." Social media didn't just happen this year. Your message was clear that you think the media has always been against the Pirates since before social media. Now you say that's not what you meant. It's not a matter of wrongly taking you literally. You were very clear. You also said, "I am not saying the media is wrong.  They could just report things or have some feel good stories about their current players (not Gerrit Cole).  Lately, it has mostly been negative opinion reporting." But everyday the Trib and Post-Gazette have articles profiling the players in ST. There's also a lot of criticism of the BMTIB, which you admit is not wrong. It's well deserved. The fans have been screaming about it before the media took up the cause. So I don't think the fans' outrage has been influenced by the media. If anything, it's the other way around. If you don't like reading the negative opinions, then focus on the positive stories about Polanco, Bell, Frazier, Moran and others in the local papers. It sounds like you are so defensive about the team that you focus only on the negative comments and accuse the media of always being biased against the team even tho you acknowledge the negative comments are not wrong. You're making my head spin. (And I hate when that happens.) :)   

On message boards I pretty much write how one talks. I know it isn't proper and meaning can be distorted. With that said, I think you know what I meant: always = mostly.

Yes, Social Media is bigger than ever now. Twitter and Facebook are two of the busiest websites in the world. It is also giving people with no credentials a voice. The "negative" stories are all over Twitter compared to the "feel good" stories. I have had so many people who I follow post the Harrison/Freese statements and not the Polanco story that was posted here. Stephen Nesbit has retweeted his own story many times. Weird.

I stand by my statement that the media is mostly against the Pirates. I follow all the Pittsburgh teams. The newspapers seem to love to rip on their rival owner.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Dude, if you mean mostly, say mostly- when speaking OR writing.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

This thread sucks.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

262324222A2039242D3E38354C0 wrote: Dude, if you mean mostly, say mostly- when speaking OR writing. 

People use the term "always" on this board. Only now, it is taken literally?

How many times is Polanco "always" hurt or Cervelli is "always" hurt? Or how the Pirates are "always" running themselves out of innings?

Ugh!
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

3A31393530312A6F691E273F363131703D315E0 wrote: Dude, if you mean mostly, say mostly- when speaking OR writing. 

People use the term "always" on this board.  Only now, it is taken literally?

How many times is Polanco "always" hurt or Cervelli is "always" hurt?  Or how the Pirates are "always" running themselves out of innings?

Ugh!

Sometimes the context makes it clear, some times it doesn't, but it's a lot easier to avoid confusion if you are more precise with your language. Of course, around here someone is likely to criticize you either way, so you can't really win.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2A2F282E262C352821323439400 wrote: Dude, if you mean mostly, say mostly- when speaking OR writing. 

People use the term "always" on this board.  Only now, it is taken literally?

How many times is Polanco "always" hurt or Cervelli is "always" hurt?  Or how the Pirates are "always" running themselves out of innings?

Ugh!

Sometimes the context makes it clear, some times it doesn't, but it's a lot easier to avoid confusion if you are more precise with your language.  Of course, around here someone is likely to criticize you either way, so you can't really win.

Exactly. I will go back to watching what words I use again. Remember when I was questioned on the word "just" as in the Pirates were just in the playoffs? Ugh!