4/10 game thread vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I still think Santana's going to end up being pretty good.
notes34

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by notes34 »

1000013620202C430 wrote: Very solid start.  I'm not buying in just yet.  I will if this type of play continues in June.

Dickerson was a very good add.  I think we as a collective fan base should get credit for that.  If not for the bitching, I think the Pirates would have put Luplow out there instead.

Still concerned about rotation.  Still only have true faith in one starter and that is Taillon.  We shall see.

Bullpen is a major problem to me.  Absent Rivero or Vasquez (think that name change was agreed upon by Nutting so he could sell more jerseys), I think this will be a downfall.  Santana and Neverauskas should be in Indy, not in Pittsburgh. 
I love the start, but I too am very skeptical. If/when Polanco goes on a long dreadful streak it will greatly impact the offense. I do like the rotation more than most here. The BP will be ok, not great. Keep winning and everyone will buy in.
notes34

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by notes34 »

060D05090C0D165355221B030A0D0D4C010D620 wrote: Nova is trash.
Sorry Nova isn't trash. While he isn't great, a guy that doesn't issue any walks and goes 6 innings consistently has some value.

apparently so is tyler chatwood

No.  He got $38 million after going 8-15 with a 4.69 ERA last year.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6F6E7564723235010 wrote: Very solid start.  I'm not buying in just yet.  I will if this type of play continues in June.

Dickerson was a very good add.  I think we as a collective fan base should get credit for that.  If not for the bitching, I think the Pirates would have put Luplow out there instead.

Still concerned about rotation.  Still only have true faith in one starter and that is Taillon.  We shall see.

Bullpen is a major problem to me.  Absent Rivero or Vasquez (think that name change was agreed upon by Nutting so he could sell more jerseys), I think this will be a downfall.  Santana and Neverauskas should be in Indy, not in Pittsburgh. 
I love the start, but I too am very skeptical. If/when Polanco goes on a long dreadful streak it will greatly impact the offense. I do like the rotation more than most here. The BP will be ok, not great. Keep winning and everyone will buy in.

Polanco is batting .190 in the last five games. The Pirates are 4-1 in those games and put up 35 runs.
OrlandoMerced

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by OrlandoMerced »

1F0F0E392F2F234C0 wrote: Very solid start.  I'm not buying in just yet.  I will if this type of play continues in June.

I wasn't that excited about Dickerson, but I was very wrong on that one. I think the strength of the lineup lies in it's ability to generate offense from anywhere, the collective OBP of this lineup has been so impressive.

I trust Williams and Taillon in the rotation, not sure why anyone doesn't trust Williams at this point. I also think Brault knows what he's doing and will rack up QS's. I'm most concerned with Kuhl and I was concerned with Nova until yesterday.
SteadyFreddy

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Why it’s so so important that at some point the better Glasnow continues to pitch out of the bullpen and gain more confidence eventually he can hopefully carry that over and be the dominant starting pitcher we all hoped he would be. If that happens which is still a huge huge IF the Pirates can and will definitely hang around this race for a very long time in the NL Central. Even though it’s still only just 10 games in its still very nice to look at the standings this morning and see you are in 1st place and 3-4 games up on the Brewers, Cubs, and Cardinals. Let’s hope that keeps up and that lead against all those teams gets larger and larger.
notes34

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by notes34 »

6C676F6366677C393F487169606767266B67080 wrote: Very solid start.  I'm not buying in just yet.  I will if this type of play continues in June.

Polanco is batting .190 in the last five games.  The Pirates are 4-1 in those games and put up 35 runs.

That's awesome and I hope it continues. I really like the discipline that Marte is showing right now. If Marte and Harrison can keep setting the table this offense is much better than I expected.
dmetz

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by dmetz »

Dickerson is a real head scratcher to me.   I get it that he's hot and he will cool off, but he's NOT a bad defender in LF.   he's a career. .832 OPS with serviceable OF defense.

What on earth was TB thinking DFAing this guy?   I expected his glove work to be much worse than what I'm seeing.  And he seems to have a good first step too.  He's not lacking range in any big way out there either, so far.

Definitely don't get it.  As long as he doesn't need to throw anyone out, I don't see any defensive issue. TB fans should be very upset.
SammyKhalifa

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

58515948463C0 wrote: As long as he doesn't need to throw anyone out, I don't see any defensive issue. 

In all its SSS glory, as of yesterday Dickerson let the league in OF assists

EDIT--Still does--with three!  :D

RK Player Team Pos G GS INN TC PO A▼ E DP SB CS SBPCT PB C_WP FPCT RF

1 Dickerson, C PIT OF 9 9 80.2 32 29 3 0 1 - - - - - 1.000 3.56

2 Gomez, C TB OF 10 10 89.1 29 27 2 0 1 - - - - - 1.000 2.90

2 Mancini, T BAL OF 11 11 95.0 19 17 2 0 1 - - - - - 1.000 1.73

2 Mazara, N TEX OF 12 11 99.0 24 22 2 0 0 - - - - - 1.000 2.00

2 Pham, T STL OF 10 10 88.2 31 29 2 0 0 - - - - - 1.000 3.10

2 Pirela, J SD OF 12 12 108.2 18 16 2 0 0 - - - - - 1.000 1.50

2 Puig, Y LAD OF 10 10 98.1 24 22 2 0 2 - - - - - 1.000 2.40
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/10 game thread vs Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

333A32232D570 wrote: Dickerson is a real head scratcher to me.   I get it that he's hot and he will cool off, but he's NOT a bad defender in LF.   he's a career. .832 OPS with serviceable OF defense.

What on earth was TB thinking DFAing this guy?   I expected his glove work to be much worse than what I'm seeing.  And he seems to have a good first step too.  He's not lacking range in any big way out there either, so far.

Definitely don't get it.  As long as he doesn't need to throw anyone out, I don't see any defensive issue.  TB fans should be very upset. 

He reminds me of Jason Bay.

Bay had a good first step, got great jumps, never worrisome on balls hit to him, made accurate but weak throws.