Lol. Dave Littlefield interviewed by the Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

23213B3D2B4E0 wrote: The Moskos selection itself was driven at least in part by the idea he was close to the majors and could provide a boost to Littlefield's job chances. It confirms, to me at least, that Littlefield's movements towards the end were looking out for his interests in whatever way he could, and not for those of longer term benefit to the team.

If I recall, he was drafted as a reliever and not a starter. You don't use that prime pick to do that, especially when starters were needed.
mouse

Post by mouse »

:) Unless you are Dave Littlefield and trying to hang onto your job. He touted Moscow as having a wipe-out slider and hinted he would be the next great closer . . . And only a year from the majors. I remember watching his first game. It was the ultimate in discouraging.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D7F656375100 wrote: :) Unless you are Dave Littlefield and trying to hang onto your job. He touted Moscow as having a wipe-out slider and hinted he would be the next great closer . . . And only a year from the majors. I remember watching his first game. It was the ultimate in discouraging.

he was tremendously disappointing. He did come into the draft pretty highly rated by Baseball America. Was supposed to be a top 10 pick.

I became a lot more skeptical about draft prospects because of Moskos and others who just didn't make much of an impact.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Littlefield didn't make the cut to the final three candidates.

Not a big surprise.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

586A66667240636A67626D6A0B0 wrote: The Moskos draft was probably the most blatant instance of the old "Drive for 75." 

That is true.

And the actions of our owner and front office over the last eleven years is definitely the most blatant example of the new, "Drive for 78-82."
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

103139103B33540 wrote: I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with Boras, any player who signs with him shows very weak intelligence no matter how good the athlete.

But you gotta admit that he has gotten a lot of them big, big money.  Not always in the most team or fan friendly ways but the player usually is set up for life.  Also the teams he dealt with and go to sign his players were also very gullible and willing to spend big sometimes on players who were not worthy of the big contract.
The big disastrous dealing we had with Boras was a total disaster for both PA and the Pirates. He was over hyped which put hugh pressure on him and he couldn't handle it. This fiasco turned me off on any reason to ever deal with Boras. Players need to realize they are limiting there chances to play soon in the Majors which if successful could bring an even bigger contract. I completely don't understand the Pirates lack of ability to negotiate with players. It seems to me we keep players in the minors to long, many times to the players detriment. A smart GM would stress the likelihood of them getting to the majors much sooner than with other teams. Instead we seem to do the opposite keeping them down forever in the minors. Pitchers are especially abused in our minor league system. The more pitches a pitchers throws in the minors means the less time he'll pitch in the majors, I believe they only have so many pitches in their arm. The Glasnow fiasco was just an example of poor managing of pitchers. I advocated putting him in the bullpen his first year to get to work with major league coaches. Instead after several failures they kept running him out damaging his confidence and dooming him to struggles.