Lol. Dave Littlefield interviewed by the Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. 
Quail

Post by Quail »

For hot dog vendor?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1531252D28440 wrote: For hot dog vendor?
He'll use the cheapest hot dogs and stale buns but he'll look exquisite in his uniform.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The thing is that despite everything, he just had to have some baseball knowledge right? Like more than the average fan. Not that he was good at his job, haha. Maybe he's a guy who's better as part of a team than running the thing.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I liked the line at the end of the mlbtr note on Littlefield -

"Of course, his seven-year run at the helm of the Pittsburgh roster was not terribly successful."
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Haha.

Neither was the Titanic
PMike

Post by PMike »

I'm a big believer in our ability to grow and learn. I've been at my job for 10 years. I'm not at all the same leader as I was 10 years ago. I like to think I have learned a ton and that I am much more wise.

The same, to some extent, has to be true of him, right? He has stayed around the game and would therefore continue to learn. He may not be the best person for the Mets job, but he probably isn't the same guy who GM'd for the Pirates years ago.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ya.

As much as we like to make fun of him, I guarantee that he knows more about "the game" than any of us.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

61535F5F4B795A535E5B5453320 wrote: Haha. 

Neither was the Titanic
LOL!!!

We'll never know what Littlefield might have done with looser purse strings. But his drafting was weak other than Cutch and Walker. The only other notable picks were Hughes, Watson and Gorzelanny. His first draft was to take Bryan Bullington #1 overall in a year with Zack Greinke, Melvin Upton Jr, Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Nick Swisher and Denard Span and proclaim that Bullington had the potential to be a middle of the rotation starter. The Moskos pick was a disaster but was obviously money driven.

Then there was the Matt Morris trade. At that time rumors were spreading that Littlefield was on a very short leash and making a splash at the trade deadline was probably the only thing that could save his job. SF was trying to unload a no longer effective Morris at the end of his career and were willing to pay part of the 10+ mil left on his contract. But on the final day of the trade deadline, Littlefield seemed so desperate to make some deal that he offered to take on the entire 10+ mil for a washed up pitcher whose old team no longer wanted him. Morris had a 6.10 ERA as a Pirate the rest of 2007 and Littlefield was fired that September. NH released Morris the following April after 5 games with a 9.67 ERA as the Pirates ate the 10 mil owed Morris in 2008. The Morris deal looked like nothing more than Littlefield's desperate attempt to save his job and, since it didn't, he didn't have to work around the salary constraints it imposed on the team the following year. Littlefield has worked in the business many years and I'm sure he has some knowledge but his decision making as a GM was very suspect.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

50626E6E7A486B626F6A6562030 wrote: Ya. 

As much as we like to make fun of him, I guarantee that he knows more about "the game" than any of us. 
Well sure, but I wouldn't want to go to a bad surgeon just because he knows more about medicine than me. ;)