The Bucs And Free Agents

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: I am generally a patient person.  I also believe that BC is on the right path  (in reality, it is the only one available to him).   That said, it is now February 13, spring training is about to start, and the Pirates have little starting pitching. 

The Official Pirate Site lists 7 pitchers who they identify as starting options for the Pirates on the current roster, including 4 of last year's holdovers in Kuhl, Brault, Brubaker and Keller; Ponce who started a game or two last year; and two new guys, Crowe and Yagure; neither of whom has ever started a major league game.

BC must act soon to add at least one starter with at least some MLB experience and another option or two who can pitch at AAA and who can be recalled when the inevitable injuries happen.  Perhaps the previously released Holmes is one of those less than ideal options, but few teams, if any, can make it through a season relying on 7 starters; particularly considering the past injury histories of Keller, Kuhl and Brault, and the inexperience of everyone else.

At present, it doesn't look like a trade of Frazier is in the offing (not many more teams looking for 2nd basemen), thus, there is no more salary that BC realistically can shed to free up some funds to pay a starter.   Hoping that BC can make an argument that Nutting will hear and that he is given a few more dollars to work with to bring in someone who can suck up some innings.  The options are getting pretty thin.

Bucs may need to carry 14 pitchers on the 26 man roster next year just so they have enough warm bodies between the starters and relievers to make it through a week's worth of games.  Disappointing to say the least.          
Frazier is versatile enough that he wouldn't necessarily have to traded to a team looking for a 2Bman. He could also play OF, probably 3B or be a super sub. Another possible SP is RHP Chase De Jong (minor league contract). He's started a handful of games for Seattle, Minnesota and Houston. But his stats are not impressive.
I too am getting a little impatient since pitchers and catchers report early this upcoming week. There are still a few starting pitchers on the free agent list who could help eat up some innings for the Bucs. I am hoping that tomorrow or Monday there will be a pitcher or two signed.
SCBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

Paxton to Seattle.

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Homer Bailey

Trevor Cahill

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

This is what we are down to.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6878794E5858543B0 wrote: Paxton to Seattle.

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Homer Bailey

Trevor Cahill

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

This is what we are down to.
I would like Walker, or Porcello but they are long shots . From the remaining group, Tyler Anderson, Shoemaker, Cahill, or Ross. A couple starters from those 6 would help the rotation.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With the slow movement in signing a starting pitcher, I wonder if BC is working on a trade that would bring a veteran pitcher to the Pirates. Possibly a team that wants to move a pitcher with a larger salary which they would like to move to Pittsburgh along with a prospect or two.
Ecbucs

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by Ecbucs »

515D5C070E070F02051A00370 wrote: With the slow movement in signing a starting pitcher, I wonder if BC is working on a trade that would bring a veteran pitcher to the Pirates. Possibly a team that wants to move a pitcher with a larger salary which they would like to move to Pittsburgh along with a prospect or two.

very possible. This is going to be a strange year if full season is played. No pitcher pitched 100 innings last year so I think very few pitchers will pitch over 120 innings this year. Few relievers will pitch more than 50 or 60.

That means more pitchers are going to see action but the limited innings will trickle down to minor leaguers too. Teams will just want to keep pitchers in AAA sharp rather than giving them a full workload as they will be needed by the major league team.
johnfluharty

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by johnfluharty »

614746514757240 wrote: With the slow movement in signing a starting pitcher, I wonder if BC is working on a trade that would bring a veteran pitcher to the Pirates. Possibly a team that wants to move a pitcher with a larger salary which they would like to move to Pittsburgh along with a prospect or two.

very possible.  This is going to be a strange year if full season is played.  No pitcher pitched 100 innings last year so I think very few pitchers will pitch over 120 innings this year.  Few relievers will pitch more than 50 or 60.

That means more pitchers are going to see action but the limited innings will trickle down to minor leaguers too.  Teams will just want to keep pitchers in AAA sharp rather than giving them a full workload as they will be needed by the major league team.It would not surprise me if some managers still try to run guys out there for close to 200 innings.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates were very slow with diving into free agency this offseason, but I think Tony Wolters, Tyler Anderson, Brian Goodwin and Todd Frazier were all good choices. Frazier is past his prime, but he will be a good platoon with Moran. Brian Goodwin can play all 3 outfield positions so I expect him to get a lot of playing time. Wolters is a good defensive catcher, and he will have to have a good spring because I would think it is between he and Perez for the backup catcher position. I like the signing of Tyler Anderson a lefty who has had some success in the past as a starting pitcher. He has had some injuries, but if he is fully recovered I could see him having success pitching at PNC.