WS - Braves vs Astros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 
WildwoodDave2

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2E786E7A756F7F74796E5C7B717D7570327F1C0 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 
Congratulations to The Braves ! Last night is the last time we will see the DH
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

1B2520283B232328082D3A297E4C0 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

The AL is getting rid of it? Might be the last time we see pitchers in a regular lineup spot. If they go in, it will be as pinch hitters. We'll see.

The games behind the games start today.
2drfischer@gmail.c

WS - Braves vs Astros

66585D55465E5E557550475403310 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

I'm happier that the Astros lost than that the Braves won, but they deserve a lot of credit, from the GM on down, for not giving up on the season when Acuna went down.

I'd be delighted if that was the last time the game will be played with a DH.
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

Key deadline deads may have made a contribution.  Some guys they added had good post-seasons.  We've discussed one who didn't.

The paper in Philadelphia wonders whether the Phillies should've been more agressive; the Braves having more cap room to work with may have been a factor.
WildwoodDave2

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1E485E4A455F4F44495E6C4B414D4540024F2C0 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

I'm happier that the Astros lost than that the Braves won, but they deserve a lot of credit, from the GM on down, for not giving up on the season when Acuna went down.

I guess I have to rephrase that. The last time pitchers will be batting. That I know, will not make you happy
2drfischer@gmail.c

WS - Braves vs Astros

407E7B73607878735376617225170 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

I guess I have to rephrase that. The last time pitchers will be batting. That I know, will not make you happy

No, it won't. Anything that changes the game as drastically as the DH, the replay system, Interleague play, runners placed at 2nd base to start innings, and seven inning games, I'm against.
Bobster21

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Bobster21 »

2F796F7B746E7E75786F5D7A707C7471337E1D0 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

No, it won't.  Anything that changes the game as drastically as the DH, the replay system, Interleague play, runners placed at 2nd base to start innings, and seven inning games, I'm against.
I agree except that I'm totally for replay. The umps are bad enough that there has to be a system to reverse their mistakes. I hate when the broadcasters give the obligatory "the umps are right 90% of the time." They probably are. But most calls are obvious. I think that on the very close plays they are closer to 50% correct.
2drfischer@gmail.c

WS - Braves vs Astros

230E03121504135350610 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

No, it won't.  Anything that changes the game as drastically as the DH, the replay system, Interleague play, runners placed at 2nd base to start innings, and seven inning games, I'm against.
I agree except that I'm totally for replay. The umps are bad enough that there has to be a system to reverse their mistakes. I hate when the broadcasters give the obligatory "the umps are right 90% of the time." They probably are. But most calls are obvious. I think that on the very close plays they are closer to 50% correct.   

I can understand your argument for the replay system but it takes far too long to review plays, even the obvious ones. Also, there are way too many challenges. There’s no consistency in how the cameras are arranged in the various parks. And worst of all, they still get plays wrong even with multiple cameras filming the play.

There has to be a better way to manage this mess. Restrictions have to be put in place as to what can be reviewed. Tag plays and force outs should stand as the umpire calls them. I would like to see two umpires on the warning track to determine if a ball is a HR or not, and I wouldn’t allow a challenge or review.

I do, however, think that balls and strikes now need to be determined using technology. I think pitches are thrown too hard and with too much movement for umpires, with their older eyes, to follow them with the precision that’s needed.
Ecbucs

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Ecbucs »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 

Yes, twenty years ago I would never have imagined that many replay calls would over turn call on field. I don't know the percentage but it is substantial. I am all for electronic strike zone too. Recently saw a clip of Clemente's foul ball in the 1971 World Series. Bob Prince and Gowdy both said it was close and Prince pointed out the ball was slicing towards right and bounced to the left (implying that it hit the foul pole). The camera coverage back then was nothing like today and the major replay problem seems to be the amount of time it takes to make a decision.