Winter Meetings Begin Sunday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

I really don't know how Nutting does it. I don't know one person that has one good thing to say about him as an owner. He may be the nicest guy in the world, but it has to take a toll on you as a person to know that everyone of your fans hates you as an owner. You would think there would be a point to where he just says, I don't need this crap any longer and sells.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

5A6660667D74627B150 wrote: I really don't know how Nutting does it.  I don't know one person that has one good thing to say about him as an owner.  He may be the nicest guy in the world, but it has to take a toll on you as a person to know that everyone of your fans hates you as an owner.  You would think there would be a point to where he just says, I don't need this crap any longer and sells. 

I had a long-running argumen with someone about this. He finally got it through my brain that the people Bob hangs with don't think in those terms. Profit equals winning, and the little box in the newspaper every day is incidental.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

406661747D71667078130 wrote: I base payroll comparisons more on the Brewers than I do the Mets, and that Disney money makes me think that we can afford to keep Bryan Reynolds.
I was talking with a guy while I was cleaning, and he and I agreed the Pirates should be able to spend the same money as the Brewers, Cardinals, Twins, etc.

The sad part, whether we do or not, is all those teams spending 150-170 million dollars are still being outspent by almost 2-1 by the Mets, Yankees, Phils, Rangers, Angels, Dodgers, Red Sox, Astros and some other teams that are trying to really spend up, like the Padres, Blue Jays.

The Dodgers sat two guys for the playoffs who made a combined 48 million! That's where the difference lies. The Yankees can afford Joey Gallo being a semi bust at 10.275 million. They were able to afford Chapman and Lemahieu not suiting up for 31 million a year between the two of them.

The only chance the Bucs have is to follow the same model as St. Louis and Atlanta, draft well, identify who is worth offering a long term deal with risk of the player never doing well (Polanco) after that first season, and adding in some quality trades/FA like the Cards did with Arenado and Goldy.

I'm liking our chances less and less :-/

I acknowledge and accept your point.  How could anyone not?

I'll temper it, though, by thinking that I focus on only teams like the Cubs and Cardinals.

We haven't played teams in other divisions as often.

With the new balances schedule, we will.

I would like to know which teams voted in favor of the current CBA.  Did the Pirates?  If yes, then why.

We know that smaller revenue clubs are in the minority. 

I continue to believe that the Pirates are able to hold onto our own players.  If they're not, then I'd like a better explanation. 

It bothers me to go through this all too often, but what can we do about it?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Clayton Kershaw signs one year deal with the Dodgers for 20 million.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Josh Bell 2 years, 33 million with an opt out after '23, with the Guardians.

Looks like the money is really moving this offseason.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

55667A7B7870467B607C6760717D7A140 wrote: I really don't know how Nutting does it.  I don't know one person that has one good thing to say about him as an owner.  He may be the nicest guy in the world, but it has to take a toll on you as a person to know that everyone of your fans hates you as an owner.  You would think there would be a point to where he just says, I don't need this crap any longer and sells. 

I had a long-running argumen with someone about this. He finally got it through my brain that the people Bob hangs with don't think in those terms. Profit equals winning, and the little box in the newspaper every day is incidental.

I think that's true. Nutting apparently sees his operation of the Pirates through the prism of a businessman. His operation is very profitable and therefore very successful. He probably considers himself more successful in this business than owners who spend big bucks to have good teams and then have to worry about generating tons of revenue to make a profit.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Economies of scale.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Cubs sign Cody Bellinger for 1 year 17.5 million.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Mitch Haniger to the Giants 3/43.5