Official Game Day Thread - 4/7 - Bucs vs O's

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Official Game Day Thread - 4/7 - Bucs vs O's

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:15 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:04 pm Another case of someone who should have just ate the ball git the one out and keep it tied. We exchanged runs on bad defense so I'm slapping the first person using lucky
If you’re referring to the misplay by Cruz, I’m going to disagree. Henderson was trying hard to make a play, ill advised as it may have been. Cruz was being lazy.

I don’t want you to think I’m not a fan of Cruz. I think he has the chance to be extra special, and I want him to be that kind of player sooner rather than later. But he can’t just rest on his potential. He has to prove he has it everyday. He has to want to be the best.
My comment was strictly about Henderson. I only had the opportunity to see it live, yet to see the replay. It just seemed he rushed his throw, didn't really get set. If he lobs it over, Olivares beats it out, if he gets set for a good throw, Olivares beats it out. So he made a low percentage play it seemed, to be able to get the ball off with some zip. Like I said, have to see the replay.

Trust me, a lot of us in the stands were not happy about the entire play with Cruz. Again, without the benefit of a replay, it looked like Reynolds took a bad angle, it looked like he expected Suwinski to be right there, it looked like there was confusion briefly between the two of them, then Cruz forgetting there's a guy who hit the ball that's still running.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Now having seen the replay, Henderson should have at the ball. Great job by Rowdy just lumbering in the way, that forced him to throw around him, again, he never really got set, he rushed the whole thing, and Olivares is safe just about every scenario except if the rushed throw is on target. For an April game, not a bad risk.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:24 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:15 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:04 pm Another case of someone who should have just ate the ball git the one out and keep it tied. We exchanged runs on bad defense so I'm slapping the first person using lucky
If you’re referring to the misplay by Cruz, I’m going to disagree. Henderson was trying hard to make a play, ill advised as it may have been. Cruz was being lazy.

I don’t want you to think I’m not a fan of Cruz. I think he has the chance to be extra special, and I want him to be that kind of player sooner rather than later. But he can’t just rest on his potential. He has to prove he has it everyday. He has to want to be the best.
My comment was strictly about Henderson. I only had the opportunity to see it live, yet to see the replay. It just seemed he rushed his throw, didn't really get set. If he lobs it over, Olivares beats it out, if he gets set for a good throw, Olivares beats it out. So he made a low percentage play it seemed, to be able to get the ball off with some zip. Like I said, have to see the replay.

Trust me, a lot of us in the stands were not happy about the entire play with Cruz. Again, without the benefit of a replay, it looked like Reynolds took a bad angle, it looked like he expected Suwinski to be right there, it looked like there was confusion briefly between the two of them, then Cruz forgetting there's a guy who hit the ball that's still running.
Your observation is right, Henderson did hurry his throw, but it was as you pointed out: if he doesn’t throw it hard from the kneeling position he was in, he had no chance to throw out Oliveras. He took a chance hoping to get two outs, which is what most young players would do. He’ll learn from it.

It looked to me on the replay that Reynolds did take a bad route but I’m still not sure if he’d have been able to make the catch. My problem with Cruz was twofold: first, he didn’t adjust to Suwinski’s short throw by either taking a few steps forward to catch the ball in the air, or to take a couple of steps back to get a longer hop. Either takes little effort and eliminates dealing with a short hop. But then, secondly, he didn’t try to retrieve the ball immediately. No effort is worse than Henderson’s making a bad throw by trying too hard.

I want Cruz to be great but, in watching him so far in his time here, I’m seeing evidence of a lack of hustle from him. I’ve seen him stand and watch on defense when he could’ve been moving to aid in the event he could help. When I see that, I’m reminded of Derek Jeter’s incredible play against Oakland when he moved all the way over to the first base line in case of an errant throw and, what do you know, one happened. He put himself in a position to make a play, and he did, which saved a run. If Cruz played with that intensity, that desire, with his talent he might end up being one of the 100 greatest players ever to play.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Tellez did a good job of just being in the way on Henderson's throw. Tellez didn't slide into 2B. Just ran toward the base, forcing Henderson to sidearm the throw around him. He hooked the throw too much and the rest is history. :)
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

My apologies. The replays I saw on my I-Pad were very small and I thought Suwinski’s relay to Cruz was shorthopped. I just saw a replay of the throw on my TV and saw that Cruz simply misplayed a high throw. It was not a difficult throw to handle for a major league player.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I watched the first eight innings and missed the 9th. Ironically, the Orioles made one fantastic
play after another the whole series and lost the game on a bad throw.
Getting back to "Rabelo strikes again" I just don't understand why he sent Triolo . It
was early in the game and Reynolds was the next batter.
Yes he did drive in a run with a sacrifice. I know its early but Davis has got to start hitting.
I believe he is hitting around .140.
So far, both Gonzales and Perez have proven to be good signings.
As of today, the PIrates and the Yankees have the best records in baseball at 8-2
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Getting to watch the game replay now, it's in the first, doubt I'll make it through to the end. We knew before there was even a replay that Hayes was out, we were laughing because we said, "this review will be the fastest in history".

What I'd like to know for those who got to see the game on television and the replays that I'm certain were shown of the play, do you think Hayes beats it out if he slides head first? The replay on the board looked like he slowed just a bit to prepare for the feet first slide.

Just now found out how Jose Hernandez was added to the roster, I didn't know it had occured until he entered the game. The Pirates were also able to trade Colin Selby for a 22 year old minor league pitcher Connor Oliver to the Royals. He's a LHP, and was assigned to Bradenton. Welcome aboard matey!

I share a similar concern with Doc about Cruz, but I don't call it laziness, because I don't think he is. I call it aloof, and we've seen it before here, with Starling Marte. I think they both love playing, but I don't think either of them grasp the importance of what they do to everyone else around them. Neither of them impress me as being the type who want to do what it takes to be a great ball player. I hope I'm wrong on Cruz.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Saw the replay of the Cruz double....Triolo had slowed down before he hit second base, that was a bad read on his part, and obviously, Rabelo made a bad call sending him, I don't think he payed attention to Triolo and that he had slowed down. I have no idea why Triolo slowed down, what he possibly could have been reading.

But hey, we are the Pirates. We give away so many outs and runs and still win. It's like they want to give the other team a chance.