7/10 Game Thread - Niese v Lackey

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Get Niese out of here.  And I don't mean the game, I mean out of a Pirate uni.  This is unexceptable. 

Problem is i can't imagine anyone taking Niese off our hands unless we pick up pretty much 100% of a salary.

I dunno. Niese gets 9 mil this year and the season is more than half over. So he's owed less than 4.5 mil the rest of the way. To most teams, that's pocket change. Also, Niese is just 29 and has been a serviceable LHP until this year. There is no risk on his contract because there is a $500,000 buyout for both of the 2 remaining years. And if the team wanted to keep him, the 10 and 11 mil due the next 2 seasons is less than what a lot of pitchers make these days. 

Those option years were alluring to the Pirates when they made the trade because he wasn't that far removed from average performance. I don't think anyone values those option years now, so he wouldn't seem to have any value. Maybe you can unload him, but there's no value coming back.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

45797F79626B7D640A0 wrote: Nice start for Niese. 4 hits and 2 runs in an unfinished first.  I've seen enough of him. 

Nope. Two of those hits should have been errors. No earned runs. The error star is going away for some reason.

Dog - i will fight the fight with you on the Locke and Pedro ordeals, but can't do it on Niese.  He has shown me nothing to keep him in the roster.  Just my $.02

This is the game thread. I am just talking about this game. The score should be 4-1 Pirates. Instead it is 5-4 Cubs.

McCutchen just did a show on a fly ball using two hands. That tells me right there that he knew he should have caught the two balls he missed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

725744514D464D4C4941250 wrote: Get Niese out of here.  And I don't mean the game, I mean out of a Pirate uni.  This is unexceptable. 

Problem is i can't imagine anyone taking Niese off our hands unless we pick up pretty much 100% of a salary.

I dunno. Niese gets 9 mil this year and the season is more than half over. So he's owed less than 4.5 mil the rest of the way. To most teams, that's pocket change. Also, Niese is just 29 and has been a serviceable LHP until this year. There is no risk on his contract because there is a $500,000 buyout for both of the 2 remaining years. And if the team wanted to keep him, the 10 and 11 mil due the next 2 seasons is less than what a lot of pitchers make these days. 

Those option years were alluring to the Pirates when they made the trade because he wasn't that far removed from average performance.  I don't think anyone values those option years now, so he wouldn't seem to have any value.  Maybe you can unload him, but there's no value coming back.
I agree. My point is that those 2 additional years on the contract will have no bearing on trading him. If they trade him to a team that doesn't want to keep him it costs only $500,000 to void the remaining 2 years. If by some chance he has a good second half, a team could keep him at a reasonable price.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Nice work by Locke to keep it 5-4. Do we ever get Rizzo out anymore?? He is ridiculous.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

49424A464342591C1A6D544C454242034E422D0 wrote: Nice start for Niese. 4 hits and 2 runs in an unfinished first.  I've seen enough of him. 

Nope. Two of those hits should have been errors. No earned runs. The error star is going away for some reason.

Dog - i will fight the fight with you on the Locke and Pedro ordeals, but can't do it on Niese.  He has shown me nothing to keep him in the roster.  Just my $.02

This is the game thread. I am just talking about this game. The score should be 4-1 Pirates. Instead it is 5-4 Cubs.

McCutchen just did a show on a fly ball using two hands. That tells me right there that he knew he should have caught the two balls he missed.

Dog, two drops today doesn't change the fact that hes still been terrible all year...and continues to boast a HR/FB rate >20%
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Bell gets down 0-2, only to work a lead off walk in the 7th...
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

013736212A2B3123002D3131420 wrote: Bell gets down 0-2, only to work a lead off walk in the 7th...

They need to send Bell down. He adds nothing to the team. ::)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Great base running by Bell. Never run into an out and always force a throw. Bad play by the Cubs.

Bell scored. I am starting to like this kid.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

153835242332256566570 wrote: Bell gets down 0-2, only to work a lead off walk in the 7th...

They need to send Bell down. He adds nothing to the team.  ::)

Thanks to some quality base running, Cutch brings Bell home to tie it 5-5.

Those hipster glasses on the other side must be steaming!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

477170676C6D7765466B7777040 wrote: Nice start for Niese. 4 hits and 2 runs in an unfinished first.  I've seen enough of him. 

Dog, two drops today doesn't change the fact that hes still been terrible all year...and continues to boast a HR/FB rate >20%

I never said he hadn't been terrible all year. His line this game is not accurate. All I am saying. This is the game thread, not the Jon Niese needs to go thread.