What Do You Want The Bucs To Add At The Trade Deadline?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

1429373A353F34163E29383E3F5B0 wrote: I'm not going to argue with anybody about what the Pirates will and won't do, but I don't see how trading a coveted prospect for a controlled young pitcher closes any window.  We have team friendly deals throughout our outfield right now and another low contract hitter coming soon.  I am just proposing shifting our assets from the outfield to the mound.

A couple of thoughts.  I think Meadows is viewed as the heir to McCutchen not trade bait.  McCutchen is more likely to be traded.  The Braves are going to demand a ransom, unless blown out of the water, they have years to continue dangling him out there until a team like the Pirates, Dodgers or Red Sox meet their prospect demands. 

Yeah, I'm also not going to argue with anybody about how another team values its players or will negotiate. I don't know what anyone else will do, but I value the chance to win a world series this year more than preserving my best chance for 2020. Within reason, of course. If people want to say Meadows isn't enough to get us the type of pitcher I want to maybe win now and have for a couple more years, fine. If people say he's just too valuable, then I disagree.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5D786B7E62696263666E0A0 wrote: I'm not going to argue with anybody about what the Pirates will and won't do, but I don't see how trading a coveted prospect for a controlled young pitcher closes any window.  We have team friendly deals throughout our outfield right now and another low contract hitter coming soon.  I am just proposing shifting our assets from the outfield to the mound.

A couple of thoughts.  I think Meadows is viewed as the heir to McCutchen not trade bait.  McCutchen is more likely to be traded.  The Braves are going to demand a ransom, unless blown out of the water, they have years to continue dangling him out there until a team like the Pirates, Dodgers or Red Sox meet their prospect demands. 

Yeah, I'm also not going to argue with anybody about how another team values its players or will negotiate.  I don't know what anyone else will do, but I value the chance to win a world series this year more than preserving my best chance for 2020.  Within reason, of course.  If people want to say Meadows isn't enough to get us the type of pitcher I want to maybe win now and have for a couple more years, fine. If people say he's just too valuable, then I disagree. I think the Pirates best chance to win a World Series is going to be between 2017-2019 when both Cole and Cutch are still here along with the core position players we have signed, and the young pitchers we have in the rotation. I don't know if I will go all in this year to win a World Series but next year in 2017 and 2018 I most definitely do.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: Kind of funny how everyone wanted another starter in the off season but now they want the young kids to play?

Funny, how things changed.  Also funny how the non-moves in the off season have put the Pirates in the hunt still this year. 

Nothing odd about that. At the beginning of the season the plan seemed to be to just get by with guys like Vogelsong or Nicasio and Niese until about mid season when the young pitchers were expected to arrive. Well, it's mid season and they've arrived. Meanwhile, the Bucs just did barely get by and the team that had the 2nd most wins last year are a whopping 3 games over .500 at the AS break.

Sure, they''re in the hunt. But that's not saying a lot. In the 15-team NL, they have only the 8th best record. they need to pass 3 teams just to get the 2nd WC spot. So let's not throw a parade because being 3 games over .500 and the 8th best record still keeps them "in the hunt.'
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: Kind of funny how everyone wanted another starter in the off season but now they want the young kids to play?

Funny, how things changed.  Also funny how the non-moves in the off season have put the Pirates in the hunt still this year. 

Nothing odd about that. At the beginning of the season the plan seemed to be to just get by with guys like Vogelsong or Nicasio and Niese until about mid season when the young pitchers were expected to arrive. Well, it's mid season and they've arrived. Meanwhile, the Bucs just did barely get by and the team that had the 2nd most wins last year are a whopping 3 games over .500 at the AS break.

Sure, they''re in the hunt. But that's not saying a lot. In the 15-team NL, they have only the 8th best record. they need to pass 3 teams just to get the 2nd WC spot. So let's not throw a parade because being 3 games over .500 and the 8th best record still keeps them "in the hunt.'

I agree with this. The 12-4 stretch over the last 16 games before the All Star Break when this team was 5 games under .500 at 34-39 and lost 20 of 26 games saved the Pirates season. Had they continued on that death spiral we wouldn't be having this conversation. The Pirates stopped the bleeding just in time before it would have been too late.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote: Kind of funny how everyone wanted another starter in the off season but now they want the young kids to play?

that is the glass half full way of looking at it. The glass half empty view has the Bucs leading to the Division or close to it.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

As a Bucs fan that endured 20+ years of losing, and was 4 years old when they won the World Series in 1979, I love the way Huntington and Company are running this team. While this off-season was painful on some levels (I would have kept Happ), they have kept key pieces, extended budding stars and are really starting to see the fruits of their labor from the draft.

While it sometimes sucks to always think about next year or the year after, we are now a perennial contender. And it isn't too hard to see how a team built around Polanco, Marte, Bell, McCutchen (and/or Meadows) and the young guns of Cole, Taillon, Glasnow along with a number of other players to be added via free agency, the draft and the lower minors could bring us a championship. They look much more formidable to me than the core of McCutchen, Walker and Pedro.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Alright! So far the starting pitchers that have been mentioned as possible TD targets in this thread are:

Matt Moore age 27, contract control thru 2019

Julio Teheran age 25 contract control thru 2020

Chris Archer age 27 contract control thru 2021

All are former all-stars. All look to have considerable upside. Perhaps Moore would potentially be the cheapest to acquire given the contract control length and coming off of TJ surgery. Moore and Archer are arguably having sub-par seasons (for them) while Teheran is having an excellent season.

It seems to me that acquiring any of those pitchers will require giving up at the very least a top prospect (Taillon, Glasnow, Bell, Meadows) plus a couple of lesser prospects (Hansen, Ramirez, Tucker, Diaz, Brault, Kuhl). Fewer assets might be dealt if Marte or Polanco would be the centerpiece of the deal, but I wouldn't even consider doing that unless Teheran is the target.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Those guys aren't going to happen as a Top Prospect will not be traded.

Who are the Happs, Rodriguezs that Hintington acquired before? That is who the Pirates will get. They won't cost a top prospect.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

People keep talking about adding starting pitching but this year's market is either mediocre, injured or controllable, but expensive. There have been better years than this one to need pitching help.
Quail

Post by Quail »

7E59485B481C1414151C2D0 wrote: People keep talking about adding starting pitching but this year's market is either mediocre, injured or controllable, but expensive. There have been better years than this one to need pitching help. 

Excellent points! However this year we happen to need starting pitching more than in recent years.

The question though is what do you want to see the Bucs do at the TD. It doesn't have to be what you think they will do although that's certainly worthy of discussion as well.