Lodolo

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Lodolo

Post by dmetz »

Two thoughts I have

1) I like this kids confidence. Incredibly gutsy to have the courage to walk away from an offer like that. He's gambling, and I like that.

2) #1 being said, he probably needs a new financial advisor. He's playing some long odds and probably will lose.

Like everything else though, it's not an all or nothing scenario all the time. He may enjoy a solid college career and end up with a signing bonus payout that is less, but still nice.

Good luck
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

555E565A5F5E450006714850595E5E1F525E310 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

Nope. When it comes to athletic scholarships, there are 2 types of sports -- "head count" and "equivalency."

In "head count" sports, if you're given a scholarship, you get a full ride. Those sports are football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis and women's volleyball.

All the other sports (baseball) are "equivalency" sports. A Division I college baseball team is allowed the equivalent of 11.7 full scholarships to spread out over 27 players on the roster. So at a school where it costs $50,000 a year to attend, your first baseman might get $15,000 in scholarship money while your Friday night pitcher might get $35,000. It's exceptionally rare for a college baseball player to get a full ride, though I suppose it's possible.

I saw an interesting story the other day that said the left fielder who made the key play in Coastal Carolina's CWS title-game win will leave school with something like $100,000 in debt.

That's why I said what I said about Lodolo. If you want to take on all that debt, and are confident you'll be able to pay it back with those major league checks you're sure you'll be cashing, hey, lots of luck, pal. I know what I'd choose if my options were a.) $100K in debt or b.) $1.5M right now.

I did not know that.  Kind of weird.  This happens for schools whose sport generates money too? 

It wasn't too long ago when I was in college and many soccer players (both genders) got full rides.

Thanks for the info. 

They still can get full scholarships.

You surely have heard about mens programs being cut because of Title IX. This is not really new.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

6F666E7F710B0 wrote: Two thoughts I have

1)  I like this kids confidence.  Incredibly gutsy to have the courage to walk away from an offer like that.  He's gambling, and I like that.

2) #1 being said, he probably needs a new financial advisor.  He's playing some long odds and probably will lose.   

Like everything else though, it's not an all or nothing scenario all the time.  He may enjoy a solid college career and end up with a signing bonus payout that is less, but still nice. 

Good luck

Of note, TCU is known to grind up pitchers and spit them out. There have been some exceptions like Arrieta, but also guys like Matt Purke.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Yes, I know what Title IX is. The college I went to lost its baseball program due to it.

I didn't know about the equivalency sports.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: Yes, I know what Title IX is.  The college I went to lost its baseball program due to it. 

I didn't know about the equivalency sports. 

Well one goes with the other, so you should have.
Ecbucs

Lodolo

Post by Ecbucs »

I remember a big story on Title IX in the Sporting News.

It was going to destroy college sports according to most athletic directors and sports reporters.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Well, I just thought Title IX was in place to offer equal opportunity to both genders to participate in sports. Not identical sports. Also, in place to receive the same treatment when it comes to scholarships, equipment, facilities, travel, etc.

I didn't know the breakdown in certain sports. That is why I asked. Sorry.

When i was in college, Baseball was dropped and Women's Soccer was added because of Title IX.

I assumed Lodolo would still get a full ride. If not, that is even a worse decision to go to the four year school.
OrlandoMerced

Lodolo

Post by OrlandoMerced »

keith law said on twitter that MLB has a scholarship program, so if he wanted to go to school after, it would have been funded.

He either thinks he can improve his draft stock (I'd say there's about a 0% chance he becomes a top 10 pick because that's where he'll need to be in 3 years to make it worth his while to have turned down 1.75M), or he just wanted to go to college and live it up. I think it was the latter. I think in terms of quality of life, I think being a college baseball player is better than being in the minor leagues.
Steve19981

Lodolo

Post by Steve19981 »

575A5B6C7A7A767F7877190 wrote: That sucks.  I thought he was the most intriguing pick they made.

Really?  He seemed like a reach to me.

Silly to pass up over a million dollars to play college baseball.

Even sillier to pass up $1.75.

That said, the kid has the frame and glimpses of stuff that might make you think that he could be an elite college arm. If things break right he has the potential be a number one overall pick.
UtahPirate

Lodolo

Post by UtahPirate »

132E303D32383311392E3F39385C0 wrote: keith law said on twitter that MLB has a scholarship program, so if he wanted to go to school after, it would have been funded.

He either thinks he can improve his draft stock (I'd say there's about a 0% chance he becomes a top 10 pick because that's where he'll need to be in 3 years to make it worth his while to have turned down 1.75M), or he just wanted to go to college and live it up.  I think it was the latter.  I think in terms of quality of life, I think being a college baseball player is better than being in the minor leagues.

I went to an Ogden Raptors game (LA Dodgers rookie league team) the other night and was watching those kids thinking how hard it would be for them. They make so little they have to live with sponsor families. It must be a grind. And long bus trips throughout the Rockies. We were playing Missoula which is about 500 miles from Ogden. College life has to be a whole lot better.

A dozen years ago a friends son was drafted in the third round by the Dodgers. He took the money and spent three years in the minors, then did four years on the MLB scholarship which paid his tuition, books and a living stipend. An accountant now. Can't figure out what LolLol was thinking...

And we signed Austin Shields, who was a late round pick, with what little bonus money we had left. He had to be the fall back plan...

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2016/7/15/121 ... in-shields