We need to sell.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SpeedyG

We need to sell.

Post by SpeedyG »

I feel like we need to take one of two approaches:

1) Add legitimate impact players.

2) Sell off impending free agents or easily replaceable players and re-tool during the offseason. Melancon, Freese, Jaso, Feliz, Niese, Locke, and maybe even Liriano should be made available.

There's no middle ground, in my mind. Adding a John Niese type from another team and hoping he turns into JA Happ isn't worth it. I think you come out in the negative at the end of the year.
PMike

We need to sell.

Post by PMike »

Speaking of trading (Melancon)...

The Mets just blew another game. Familia has now blown a couple this week. Perhaps they'd be interested in Melancon and tossing in Niese (for old times sake). I have no idea who they have in their system that we'd want to trade for.
rucker59@gmail.com

We need to sell.

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0A1733313F5A0 wrote: Speaking of trading (Melancon)...

The Mets just blew another game.  Familia has now blown a couple this week.  Perhaps they'd be interested in Melancon and tossing in Niese (for old times sake).  I have no idea who they have in their system that we'd want to trade for.

Mets are 1/2 game in front of us. The Fish and Cardinals are 2.0 games up. I'm not giving up on this season. We need Malancon and we're heading to the playoffs.
rucker59@gmail.com

We need to sell.

I'm not going to single out any post because clearly I'm the outlier on this board. Almost everyone on here is apparently selling and especially Malancon.

I don't get it.

To made even the wildcard is huge, a lot of WS teams have come from the WC.

At this moment we're 2 games out with a favorable schedule. I'm not trading anyone that gives this team its best chance to advance. Especially I'm not trading Malancon nor anyone on our bench. I'd consider Jaso in order to free a spot for Bell and free some money. Add one pitcher (I like Matt Moore as a solid addition to this team and the next couple years through his options) and this team could be the team to beat by October.

The Pirates can easily be a contender if the vets start playing as expected and one (just 1 Neal!) legitimate pitcher is added to the rotation.

We've hung in the race despite subpar performances from key players and a brutal schedule. If they get swept in Milwaukee maybe I'll feel different. But I expect the Pirates to inch a bit closer by the end of the weekend. I'm buying.
Quail

We need to sell.

Post by Quail »

I figure the Pirates chances of making the playoffs at pretty much 50-50 if they stand pat.

As currently constituted they have a great bench, a very good back end of the bullpen, a better than average offense, and a below average starting rotation that is in transition. Those elements are likely good enough to at least keep them around .500 and in the WC hunt for most of the rest of the season.

If any one of these things happen during the final two months the Pirates could finish with a WC spot:

1. Cutch and/or Kang return to their normal offensive production.

2. Liriano returns to legit #2 form.

3. Either Taillon, Glasnow or one of the other AAA starters puts together a good run.

4. Josh Bell arrives as the offensive impact player he's shown he can be.

If two or more of the above happen sooner rather than later between now and the end of the year the Pirates might even push the Cubs for the Division Championship. I don't see any TDL move improving the Bucs more this year than any of the four things listed above, and given the inflated acquisition cost associated with TDL deals I think the Bucs are better off playing the hand they have.

Bobster21

We need to sell.

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't expect the Bucs to make a deal. Understandably, they don't want to part with any top prospects. This is an organization that does not replace lost talent via free agency, so prospects are gold to them. The type of pitcher they would be more likely to acquire (without having to give up much) would be someone not much better than Vogelsong and they already have him. Glasnow and Kuhl did not have significant injuries. I think they'll stand pat and hope for a WC spot. And if they have a bad August, they could be sellers at the next deadline.
SteadyFreddy

We need to sell.

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6463757D7364232F56717B777F7A3875797B160 wrote: I'm not going to single out  any post because clearly I'm the outlier on this board.  Almost everyone on here is apparently selling and especially Malancon.   

I don't get it. 

At this moment we're 2 games out with a favorable schedule.  I'm not trading anyone that gives this team its best chance to advance.  Especially I'm not trading Malancon nor anyone on our bench.  I'd consider Jaso in order to free a spot for Bell and free some money.  Add one pitcher (I like Matt Moore as a solid addition to this team and the next couple years through his options) and this team could be the team to beat by October. 

The Pirates can easily be a contender if the vets start playing as expected and one (just 1 Neal!) legitimate pitcher is added to the rotation. 

We've hung in the race despite subpar performances from key players and a brutal schedule.  If they get swept in Milwaukee maybe I'll feel different.  But I expect the Pirates to inch a bit closer by the end of the weekend.  I'm buying.     I agree VA you cant punt on this season just yet. People say "yea it's only the wildcard" but as you mentioned wildcard teams have won the World Series numerous times since this system was put into play. All you have to do is win one game and you are in a playoff series where anything can happen. You might not get this close every year to make the playoffs. You simply have to take advantage of it and cannot take it for granted.

The Cards are playing the Marlins this weekend and beat them last night to move into a tie with them for the second wildcard spot. We are going to see in the next few weeks if the Marlins are for real or not before they come into PNC Park in about 3 weeks for a weekend series. They play at Chicago and at Colorado next week, then play the Giants and the White Sox before they play the Bucs. The Pirates schedule is definitely easier over the next 2-3 weeks then the Marlins so you gotta take advantage of this.

The Pirates desperately need to win in Milwaukee this weekend. If you do you are guaranteed to pick up at least one full game each time on either the Cards or the Marlins. Keep in mind the Bucs also have two full games in hand on both the Cardinals and the Marlins.
rucker59@gmail.com

We need to sell.

597E6F6B6E734C786F6E6E730A0 wrote: I'm not going to single out  any post because clearly I'm the outlier on this board.  Almost everyone on here is apparently selling and especially Malancon.   

I don't get it. 

At this moment we're 2 games out with a favorable schedule.  I'm not trading anyone that gives this team its best chance to advance.  Especially I'm not trading Malancon nor anyone on our bench.  I'd consider Jaso in order to free a spot for Bell and free some money.  Add one pitcher (I like Matt Moore as a solid addition to this team and the next couple years through his options) and this team could be the team to beat by October. 

We've hung in the race despite subpar performances from key players and a brutal schedule.  If they get swept in Milwaukee maybe I'll feel different.  But I expect the Pirates to inch a bit closer by the end of the weekend.  I'm buying.     I agree VA you cant punt on this season just yet. People say "yea it's only the wildcard" but as you mentioned wildcard teams have won the World Series numerous times since this system was put into play. All you have to do is win one game and you are in a playoff series where anything can happen. You might not get this close every year to make the playoffs. You simply have to take advantage of it and cannot take it for granted.

The Cards are playing the Marlins this weekend and beat them last night to move into a tie with them for the second wildcard spot. We are going to see in the next few weeks if the Marlins are for real or not before they come into PNC Park in about 3 weeks for a weekend series. They play at Chicago and at Colorado next week, then play the Giants and the White Sox before they play the Bucs. The Pirates schedule is definitely easier over the next 2-3 weeks then the Marlins so you gotta take advantage of this. 

The Pirates desperately need to win in Milwaukee this weekend. If you do you are guaranteed to pick up at least one full game each time on either the Cards or the Marlins. Keep in mind the Bucs also have two full games in hand on both the Cardinals and the Marlins.

Yeah, the Marlins have a tough schedule and I'll be shocked if they're in front or even with the Pirates when they meet. I don't think the acquisitions by the Marlins change this. But that trade could keep the Marlins close, making the series with them huge.
SteadyFreddy

We need to sell.

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4443555D5344030F76515B575F5A1855595B360 wrote: I'm not going to single out  any post because clearly I'm the outlier on this board.  Almost everyone on here is apparently selling and especially Malancon.   

I don't get it. 

Yeah, the Marlins have a tough schedule and I'll be shocked if they're in front or even with the Pirates when they meet.  I don't think the acquisitions by the Marlins change this.  But that trade could keep the Marlins close, making the series with them huge.

The same can be said for the series with the Braves in Atlanta next week for the Pirates. I feel they almost need to sweep that series seeing how bad the Braves are at home this season and have the worst record in baseball. Plus, with the Marlins playing the Cubs if you still have aspirations of catching the Cubs for the division which is not totally out of reach just yet then by winning in Atlanta you are guaranteed to either gain on the Marlins in the wildcard or the Cubs in the division. The Cardinals starting next week play their next 9 games against both the Reds and Braves so the Pirates desperately need to win a lot over the next 2 weeks here before heading out West to LA and San Fran.
SteadyFreddy

We need to sell.

Post by SteadyFreddy »

One more thing since we are talking about pitching. The Pirates need to make sure that they get Gerrit Cole as many starts as possible the rest of the season and that he is pitching every 5th day no matter what. He is their best pitcher and he needs to be pitching every time he is scheduled too as much as possible the rest of the season.