Cubs Indians...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Cubs Indians...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Cubs fans now will be more obnoxious then ever now that they have won a World Series. We will never hear the end of it.
SammyKhalifa

Cubs Indians...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Honestly, if slamming my own head with the cardoor of a late-model Buick would somehow have kept the Cubs from ever winning anything, I'd have considered it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cubs Indians...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: Yep it won't change anything with the way the Pirates think with the Cubs winning. The Pirates are nowhere near close to being as good as or having a chance to realistically compete with the Cubs to win the division. You gotta spend some more money if you want to win that's the bottom line. That's why Cleveland blew a 3-1 series lead they didn't have the big name money guys like a Zobrist for the Cubs or a Lester or Chapman for the Cubs that got those one or two extra hits or runs last night. You can't win a World Series being 22nd in payroll out of 30 teams. I told everybody on here when the Cubs got off to their ridiculous start they did that this team was in a class of its own and that it was the best team since the 98 Yankees and they didn't dissapoint at all.

Class of their own that barely won and needed seven games and extra innings against a team with a 21st highest payroll?

The Pirates spent $9 million less than the Indians. It isn't always about spending money. It is spending it on the right players. The Pirates did well in doing that the last three out of four years.

The Pirates need some pieces. They can compete next year for sure if the right players are added. The core and line up is in place.
rucker59@gmail.com

Cubs Indians...

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Three things that jump out to me:

1) the Cubs are simply not in the Pirates universe; there is no pressure on the Pirates from the Cubs FO perspective.

2) the Indians FO can put enormous pressure on the Pirates FO. It will be very interesting to see what the Indians do this off season verses the Pirates moves.

3) there was a two year window where the Pirates had one of the very best teams in MLB. Most of us thought the window was open for several more years and "we'd get our WS". Unfortunately the Pirates are not catching the Cubs in our division and are no longer among the teams in MLB. Our best chance is in the rear view mirror. Morel: real opportunities are rare; never take those opportunities for granted.
Bobster21

Cubs Indians...

Post by Bobster21 »

It'll be interesting to see if the Indians follow the Royals' 2014-15 model ("we got close so let's spend a little more to further improve a good team") or the Pirates' 2015-16 model ("well, we gave it a try, now it's time to save some money"). The Pirates' problem next year is that a slight improvement won't mean much when competing with the Cubs and Cards. After a rare down year for St.L., they figure to get better as well. The Pirates should have a solid lineup but the rotation needs more than a #4 reclamation project. But what can we expect after NH's announcement of a tight budget next year? Seems like we all agree that this is a good roster other than the rotation and another solid reliever so they only need a couple players. But those are the exact types the Pirates' FO has an aversion to paying for.
Jerseykc

Cubs Indians...

Post by Jerseykc »

0F28393D38251A2E393838255C0 wrote: Yep it won't change anything with the way the Pirates think with the Cubs winning. The Pirates are nowhere near close to being as good as or having a chance to realistically compete with the Cubs to win the division. You gotta spend some more money if you want to win that's the bottom line. That's why Cleveland blew a 3-1 series lead they didn't have the big name money guys like a Zobrist for the Cubs or a Lester or Chapman for the Cubs that got those one or two extra hits or runs last night. You can't win a World Series being 22nd in payroll out of 30 teams. I told everybody on here when the Cubs got off to their ridiculous start they did that this team was in a class of its own and that it was the best team since the 98 Yankees and they didn't dissapoint at all.

Gotta disagree with you this time Freddy

With Carrasco of Cleveland's rotation out for the series and the playoff run, that really hurt them going with basically a 3 man rotation. They probably win it in 6. I think Miller, who is a workhorse, was showing that he was human pitching as much as he was, plus Cubs saw him a lot in the series.

It was great, though to see Rajai Davis have a great game. Would have been even sweeter had he gotten them over the top. Super nice guy, we've always been rooting for him since his days in Altoona.

SteadyFreddy

Cubs Indians...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote: Yep it won't change anything with the way the Pirates think with the Cubs winning. The Pirates are nowhere near close to being as good as or having a chance to realistically compete with the Cubs to win the division. You gotta spend some more money if you want to win that's the bottom line. That's why Cleveland blew a 3-1 series lead they didn't have the big name money guys like a Zobrist for the Cubs or a Lester or Chapman for the Cubs that got those one or two extra hits or runs last night. You can't win a World Series being 22nd in payroll out of 30 teams. I told everybody on here when the Cubs got off to their ridiculous start they did that this team was in a class of its own and that it was the best team since the 98 Yankees and they didn't dissapoint at all.

Class of their own that barely won and needed seven games and extra innings against a team with a 21st highest payroll? 

The Pirates spent $9 million less than the Indians.  It isn't always about spending money.  It is spending it on the right players.  The Pirates did well in doing that the last three out of four years.

The Pirates need some pieces.  They can compete next year for sure if the right players are added.  The core and line up is in place.

25 games behind the Cubs and only competing in a wildcard race being a .500 team because everybody else in the NL was so bad. Sorry gotta do better then that to convince me you're on the same level as the Cubs or even the Cards and compete in this division. This team isn't as close as people think they are. They still have too many holes in the pitching and while they do have a good lineup it's just not consistent enough across the board for me to believe this team can compete with the Cubs.
SteadyFreddy

Cubs Indians...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

0F203736203C2E26450 wrote: Yep it won't change anything with the way the Pirates think with the Cubs winning. The Pirates are nowhere near close to being as good as or having a chance to realistically compete with the Cubs to win the division. You gotta spend some more money if you want to win that's the bottom line. That's why Cleveland blew a 3-1 series lead they didn't have the big name money guys like a Zobrist for the Cubs or a Lester or Chapman for the Cubs that got those one or two extra hits or runs last night. You can't win a World Series being 22nd in payroll out of 30 teams. I told everybody on here when the Cubs got off to their ridiculous start they did that this team was in a class of its own and that it was the best team since the 98 Yankees and they didn't dissapoint at all.

Gotta disagree with you this time Freddy

With Carrasco of Cleveland's rotation out for the series and the playoff run, that really hurt them going with basically a 3 man rotation. They probably win it in 6. I think Miller, who is a workhorse, was showing that he was human pitching as much as he was, plus Cubs saw him a lot in the series.

It was great, though to see Rajai Davis have a great game. Would have been even sweeter had he gotten them over the top. Super nice guy, we've always been rooting for him since his days in Altoona.

My point is the big money guys the Cubs went out and spent money on both this season and a year ago were the difference in winning the last 3 games namely Chapman, Lester and Zobrist. Aside from Miller who was a non factor the last 3 games the Indians lost what big name money players stepped up for the Tribe to help them get that one extra out or hit in the last 3 games they lost that could have made a difference?? They didn't have anybody and the Cubs did and that's why they lost.
SteadyFreddy

Cubs Indians...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Three things that jump out to me:

1) the Cubs are simply not in the Pirates universe; there is no pressure on the Pirates from the Cubs FO perspective. 

2) the Indians FO can put enormous pressure on the Pirates FO.  It will be very interesting to see what the Indians do this off season verses the Pirates moves.

3) there was a two year window where the Pirates had one of the very best teams in MLB.  Most of us thought the window was open for several more years and "we'd get our WS".  Unfortunately the Pirates are not catching the Cubs in our division and are no longer among the teams in MLB.  Our best chance is in the rear view mirror.  Morel: real opportunities are rare; never take those opportunities for granted.

I agree VA the Pirates are an ink spot to a guy like Theo Epstein he isn't concerned about them at all. And why should he be?? His team eliminated the Pirates in a one and done game in their own stadium 13 months ago and beat them 16 out of 19 games this past season. This is what happens when you have an owner who would rather tread water and act like he is spending money over an owner who actually wants to win and goes out and gets players that can actually make a difference.
dmetz

Cubs Indians...

Post by dmetz »

stinks the cubs won but who really cares? we have 5 months until opening day. 5 months for dognot to keep trying to convince people that coming in bottom 3rd in payroll really doesnt matter and the playoffs are a crapshoot.

groundhogs day