Extend McCutchen!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Ecbucs »

0C313C3B2C2A316C6F665E0 wrote: Four years and $80 million extension with a no trade clause could get it done. If it doesn't, then that is Cutch's gamble, and at least we made the effort. Remember, Cutch is signed for the next two years (second year option) at $14 and $14.5 million.

Are you tearing up the options?

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Extend McCutchen!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

$20 million a year might not even put him in the Top 30 of highest paid.

It will take more than that. Much lesser players got much, much more.

Unless he doesn't care and wants to stay (wife is from Pgh), he could ask and get a lot more. It would be start and show the Pirates will negotiate, but I think he can get over a $100 million deal easily.
PMike

Extend McCutchen!

Post by PMike »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: $20 million a year might not even put him in the Top 30 of highest paid. 

It will take more than that.  Much lesser players got much, much more. 

Unless he doesn't care and wants to stay (wife is from Pgh), he could ask and get a lot more.  It would be start and show the Pirates will negotiate, but I think he can get over a $100 million deal easily.

Then they shouldn't be involved. I like McCutchen as much as anyone. These last two weeks have made me appreciate him even more. That said, they should not pay him $20 million or more for his age 32 and up years.

If the ownership and payroll continue on the trajectory that they are currently on, sentimentality has to be checked at the door. It's sad but true.
Roberto218

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Roberto218 »

My proposal keeps the last two years of current deal in place. The reason we get a discount is threefold: 2016 performance; his wife is from Pittsburgh with hometown discount; and no trade clause. Could go to five years and $100 million. If Cutch had a 7 WAR year last year, he would be worth a lot more. But once you make a bunch of money like $20 million a year, the marginal value of extra money is reduced...like A. J. Burnett. There is a monetary value to keeping Cutch in Pittsburgh if he bounces back, in television money, ticket sales and merchandise. How many Cutch t-shirts are sold every year? And what about fan loyalty. I have a 2013 playoff t-shirt with the names of the playoff roster players. Who is left? Cutch, Cole, Marte, Mercer and one or two others. Baseball is a business, but there are times when loyalty to the face of the franchise makes business and baseball sense. This is one of those times.
Ecbucs

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Ecbucs »

1B262B2C3B3D267B7871490 wrote: My proposal keeps the last two years of current deal in place. The reason we get a discount is threefold: 2016 performance;  his wife is from Pittsburgh with hometown discount; and no trade clause. Could go to five years and $100 million. If Cutch had a 7 WAR year last year, he would be worth a lot more. But once you make a bunch of money like $20 million a year, the marginal value of extra money is reduced...like A. J. Burnett. There is a monetary value to keeping Cutch in Pittsburgh if he bounces back, in television money, ticket sales and merchandise. How many Cutch t-shirts are sold every year? And what about fan loyalty. I have a 2013 playoff t-shirt with the names of the playoff roster players. Who is left? Cutch, Cole, Marte, Mercer and one or two others. Baseball is a business, but there are times when loyalty to the face of the franchise makes business and baseball sense. This is one of those times.

I would like to see the Pirate make an offer. Could see Cutch turning it down as saying he was underpaid earlier and doesn't want to keep being there especially if team appears to have topped out in salary and not be able to add more to keep team in contention.

rucker59@gmail.com

Extend McCutchen!

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

052322352333400 wrote: My proposal keeps the last two years of current deal in place. The reason we get a discount is threefold: 2016 performance;  his wife is from Pittsburgh with hometown discount; and no trade clause. Could go to five years and $100 million. If Cutch had a 7 WAR year last year, he would be worth a lot more. But once you make a bunch of money like $20 million a year, the marginal value of extra money is reduced...like A. J. Burnett. There is a monetary value to keeping Cutch in Pittsburgh if he bounces back, in television money, ticket sales and merchandise. How many Cutch t-shirts are sold every year? And what about fan loyalty. I have a 2013 playoff t-shirt with the names of the playoff roster players. Who is left? Cutch, Cole, Marte, Mercer and one or two others. Baseball is a business, but there are times when loyalty to the face of the franchise makes business and baseball sense. This is one of those times.

I would like to see the Pirate make an offer.  Could see Cutch turning it down as saying he was underpaid earlier and doesn't want to keep being there especially if team appears to have topped out in salary and not be able to add more to keep team in contention.

I'd also like to see the Pirates make an offer they can live with but also show Cutch "we very much wish we could keep you as a Pirate for life". Something like 6x$75M. "Hey Andrew, we do not want to insult you, you are intitled to that $100M contract and we don't blame you for pursuing it. We can't do that, but we can offer you the biggest contract in Pirate history, because we want you to be part of our history. We believe you're not just a great player and individual, we believe you're a Pirate. Do you have any interest in talking?"

He probably won't, but I bet it would be a tougher decision for him then most of us imagine. And the Pirate fans would be appreciative too. No one expects the Pirates to be able to offer market value for a guy like Cutch. But they would see a real effort to respect him and even to sign him.