Official McCutchen trade thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

I'm ok with keeping McCutchen. Giolito, Dunning and a mystery player wasn't enough. I'd want to know who the mystery player was. I'm not a lover of Dunning. I love Giolito but he is a risk. He hasn't really dominated for a year in the minor yet.

The problem still remains pitching for the Pirates. They are 3 months of baseball from having too many all star caliber outfielders. I still expect them to trade someone this offseason. The only other possibility to address the pitching (legitimately) is by signing Nova. Though I think he is suspect. With Nova, you are still hoping everything goes right with Cole and Taillon. Hoping that Kuhl can be a 4.00 ERA innings eater. And hoping that Glasnow and Kingham can put it together and win you some games. That's a tall order across the board. Though, given all of the pedigrees and track records, it's a realistic possibility...
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'd have a hard time moving McCutchen for that package, they really need MLB ready pitchers, so if neither Ross nor Gonzalez were included, that would be tough to make that trade.

It would also be hard to count on Meadows for this upcoming season, aside from limited time at AAA, he's also proven to have a bit of the injury bug.
PMike

Post by PMike »

704D535E515B50725A4D5C5A5B3F0 wrote: I'd have a hard time moving McCutchen for that package, they really need MLB ready pitchers, so if neither Ross nor Gonzalez were included, that would be tough to make that trade.

It would also be hard to count on Meadows for this upcoming season, aside from limited time at AAA, he's also proven to have a bit of the injury bug.

I agree about a major league pitcher needed. Though, I think Giolito and Lopez would slot into the rotation. Sink or swim.

I'm not concerned about Meadows. He has dominated everywhere.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

GM Rizzo was saying how happy he was that he kept his starting five in place. That makes me believe the Pirates were asking for Gio or Ross.

I think Giolito, at least, would have been put in the rotation right away if received too.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

It is going to be interesting to see if the Bucs can get a pitcher without having to get rid of salary.

I can't see them standing pat with current pitchers and feeling like the team would have much of a chance in 2017.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A48525442270 wrote: I can see Cutch having a very good year and having more trade value next year than this.
But the issue then becomes the length of time the trade partner would have Cutch. Right now it's 2 hears so it increases his value. But that value is offset by how bad he played last year. If he has a great year this year, his trade value will be offset by having only one year left on his contract. Best case scenario for a trade is that he has a good first half this year and is traded at midseason while playing well and with 1.5 years left on his contract.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: I can see Cutch having a very good year and having more trade value next year than this.
But the issue then becomes the length of time the trade partner would have Cutch. Right now it's 2 hears so it increases his value. But that value is offset by how bad he played last year. If he has a great year this year, his trade value will be offset by having only one year left on his contract. Best case scenario for a trade is that he has a good first half this year and is traded at midseason while playing well and with 1.5 years left on his contract.

Yes, I agree. But if he is playing well will the Pirates be in the race? It will be the same situation as last year not knowing if they are buyers or sellers (sold Melancon, bought Nova).
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1160 ... huntington

“Our intent coming in here was to have Andrew McCutchen be in our lineup going forward,” Huntington said. “No one changed that. It's unlikely someone changes that going forward. We're not going to close the door but we're not going to be making calls.”

While the Pirates engaged in trade talks with multiple teams regarding McCutchen, no team was willing to meet the Pirates' price.

“The ask was significant,” Huntington said. “We took calls. We listened. We engaged. Not just with Andrew but with other players on one- and two-year deals. As we will always do, if we find the right move … We'll move a player.

“We felt the right move was to hold the player.”
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Buster Olney:

Huntington's comments about holding McCutchen for PIT echo what rival execs say: PIT's trade talks are exploring value, and not dumping him.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

There are also a lot of potential mid-season situations where the Pirates would be looking to move McCutchen.

Either McCutchen stinks again in 2017 and is moved for peanuts, or he regains value and nets the Pirates a return of some sort. He is no longer the integral cog that the team needs to compete. He's a valuable piece that becomes increasingly expendable for the Pirates as Marte, Polanco, Meadows and Bell establish themselves as cogs in the core. But he's still a presence in the middle of a lineup, so NH was right to hold his demands high during trade talks.