Huntington comments on Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

050E060A0F0E155056211800090E0E4F020E610 wrote:

I don't think it was all luck involved when they traded for Burnett and signed Liriano. The Pirates have been very good in bringing in guys and they pitching well. That is a pattern to me, not all luck.  Hopefully, Hutchison will fall in line too. They traded a lot and signed him to some money.

Cole and Taillon could be fixtures for a long time. They were drafted to be top of the rotation pitchers. Glasnow and Keller could be next too.

We need better years from the line up and the Pirates should be in the hunt again. We can't fear the Cubs as much as we are. It is very rare to win back to back 100 games.

Yes, but it's necessary to also realize that any Pirate move is tied to maintaining a low payroll. The Yankees paid most of Burnett's salary. When he re-signed it was for a modest amount. Liriano signed on the cheap when it looked like his career was going nowhere. And when he had success and signed a new deal, they traded him and added 2 top prospects to get out from under his salary. We've also seen reclamation projects like Worley, Vogelsong, Nicasio, Liz, Axford and Jonathan Sanchez not work out. So it's not as of the Pirates have discovered a magic formula. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a risky strategy when that's your main plan to improve the team.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Glasnow had better be the guy then this season if the Pirates aren't going to trade him for Quintana. Huntington cant come out and make a comment like this and then the Pirates not give Glasnow an opportunity to make this rotation. If you weren't going to trade Quintana for him you better damn well make sure he pitches up here and works out his problems at the Major League level. If Glasnow isn't going to be the guy right now then when is he gonna be??
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

123F32232435226261500 wrote:

I don't think it was all luck involved when they traded for Burnett and signed Liriano. The Pirates have been very good in bringing in guys and they pitching well. That is a pattern to me, not all luck.  Hopefully, Hutchison will fall in line too. They traded a lot and signed him to some money.

Cole and Taillon could be fixtures for a long time. They were drafted to be top of the rotation pitchers. Glasnow and Keller could be next too.

We need better years from the line up and the Pirates should be in the hunt again. We can't fear the Cubs as much as we are. It is very rare to win back to back 100 games.

Yes, but it's necessary to also realize that any Pirate move is tied to maintaining a low payroll. The Yankees paid most of Burnett's salary. When he re-signed it was for a modest amount. Liriano signed on the cheap when it looked like his career was going nowhere. And when he had success and signed a new deal, they traded him and added 2 top prospects to get out from under his salary. We've also seen reclamation projects like Worley, Vogelsong, Nicasio, Liz, Axford and Jonathan Sanchez not work out. So it's not as of the Pirates have discovered a magic formula. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a risky strategy when that's your main plan to improve the team. As I have said on here numerous times the Pirates don't really spend money they tread water more or less and sign a guy for 2 million here or 4 million there, or 3 million here. They are adding payroll but they aren't adding guys that can help them get over the hump and make them a team that can compete for a World Series. I think the best rotation the Pirates can hope for this year and win with would be Cole,Taillion, Nova, Glasnow, and Kuhl. If Cole and Taillon can be solid and stay healthy and Nova can pitch like he did after they acquired him at the deadline, and if Glasnow can develop and look like he can be dominant like he was in the Minors and Kuhl can be a solid 5th guy which he is capable of doing I think this rotation can be pretty good and the Pirates can win with it. That is a lot of IF's though. Glasnow I think has to be the guy this year. If he can figure it out and pitch like he is capable of I think this team can be very good. I don't think guys like Brault,Hutchison, or Williams are going to give the Pirates a better chance to win games or be a better team then having a guy like Glasnow in there.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

62677063354447060 wrote: If the rumors of a Glasnow-Meadows asking price is correct, I am glad the Pirates did not pull the trigger.

I agree 100% with this. In fact, it should be next to impossible for any team to pry Meadows away from us.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

15322327223F00342322223F460 wrote:

Yes, but it's necessary to also realize that any Pirate move is tied to maintaining a low payroll. The Yankees paid most of Burnett's salary. When he re-signed it was for a modest amount. Liriano signed on the cheap when it looked like his career was going nowhere. And when he had success and signed a new deal, they traded him and added 2 top prospects to get out from under his salary. We've also seen reclamation projects like Worley, Vogelsong, Nicasio, Liz, Axford and Jonathan Sanchez not work out. So it's not as of the Pirates have discovered a magic formula. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a risky strategy when that's your main plan to improve the team. As I have said on here numerous times the Pirates don't really spend money they tread water more or less and sign a guy for 2 million here or 4 million there, or 3 million here. They are adding payroll but they aren't adding guys that can help them get over the hump and make them a team that can compete for a World Series. I think the best rotation the Pirates can hope for this year and win with would be Cole,Taillion, Nova, Glasnow, and Kuhl. If Cole and Taillon can be solid and stay healthy and Nova can pitch like he did after they acquired him at the deadline, and if Glasnow can develop and look like he can be dominant like he was in the Minors and Kuhl can be a solid 5th guy which he is capable of doing I think this rotation can be pretty good and the Pirates can win with it. That is a lot of IF's though. Glasnow I think has to be the guy this year. If he can figure it out and pitch like he is capable of I think this team can be very good. I don't think guys like Brault,Hutchison, or Williams are going to give the Pirates a better chance to win games or be a better team then having a guy like Glasnow in there.

I agree with this. I've said before and I'll do so again: Glasnow is the guy that determines whether this is a pretty good/good team or a contending team. He's the complete wildcard. Dominate in the minors, a deer in the headlights in Pittsburgh. If he could be dominate the Pirates could be ready to give the Cubs a run. If he's a lamb among wolves then expect the Pirates to be slightly better than last year.

But non of this excuses the Pirates inaction. Even if Glasnow is dominate the Pirates still need depth.

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: If the rumors of a Glasnow-Meadows asking price is correct, I am glad the Pirates did not pull the trigger.

I agree 100% with this.  In fact, it should be next to  impossible for any team to pry Meadows away from us.

Agreed, in this case. The problem is Neal laid out the Pirates overall Philosophy: they won't trade for needed pieces. In this case, I agree the cost is way too high. But Neal's basically saying prospects are always off the table.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He said if the fans would have known what the asking price was for Quintana they wouldn't have wanted to make the trade. Why say this?? What makes Neal think that nobody wants the Pirates to trade guys like Glasnow and Meadows in order to try and win now.  At some point this team if the right deal is in place has to go for it and pull the trigger with these prospects if they are close and want to have a chance to seriously win a championship. With the Cubs making the World Series and winning it last season the Pirates now join the Seattle Mariners who have never made the World Series and the Washington Nationals who were originally the Montreal Expos and never made the World Series either for the longest drought of not making it to the World Series as it will be 38 years if they fail to do so this season. Every team currently in baseball right now has at least made the World Series one time since 1979 with the exception of these 3 teams. At some point you gotta go for it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1D3A2B2F2A37083C2B2A2A374E0 wrote: He said if the fans would have known what the asking price was for Quintana they wouldn't have wanted to make the trade. Why say this?? What makes Neal think that nobody wants the Pirates to trade guys like Glasnow and Meadows in order to try and win now.  At some point this team if the right deal is in place has to go for it and pull the trigger with these prospects if they are close and want to have a chance to seriously win a championship. With the Cubs making the World Series and winning it last season the Pirates now join the Seattle Mariners who have never made the World Series and the Washington Nationals who were originally the Montreal Expos and never made the World Series either for the longest drought of not making it to the World Series as it will be 38 years if they fail to do so this season. Every team currently in baseball right now has at least made the World Series one time since 1979 with the exception of these 3 teams. At some point you gotta go for it.

The Yankees said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Astros said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Pirates said the White Sox wanted too much.

But somehow people given this information draw the conclusion that it's the Pirates that were being unreasonable.  People act as if Quintana punches our ticket to the World Series.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

31030F0F1B290A030E0B0403620 wrote: He said if the fans would have known what the asking price was for Quintana they wouldn't have wanted to make the trade. Why say this?? What makes Neal think that nobody wants the Pirates to trade guys like Glasnow and Meadows in order to try and win now.  At some point this team if the right deal is in place has to go for it and pull the trigger with these prospects if they are close and want to have a chance to seriously win a championship. With the Cubs making the World Series and winning it last season the Pirates now join the Seattle Mariners who have never made the World Series and the Washington Nationals who were originally the Montreal Expos and never made the World Series either for the longest drought of not making it to the World Series as it will be 38 years if they fail to do so this season. Every team currently in baseball right now has at least made the World Series one time since 1979 with the exception of these 3 teams. At some point you gotta go for it.

The Yankees said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Astros said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Pirates said the White Sox wanted too much.

But somehow people given this information draw the conclusion that it's the Pirates that were being unreasonable.  People act as if Quintana punches our ticket to the World Series. There are never any guarantees of that but a rotation of Cole,Taillon,Quintana,and Nova if they stay healthy is pretty damn good and makes you a much better team. I think next to Kershaw and Bumgarner Quintana is the best left handed pitcher in baseball. He is very underrated just because he plays on the White Sox.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Not saying he wouldn't have been a good add but by all reports the ChiSox weren't being very reasonable. My guess is they're waiting for a late-ST injury or mid season deal to some desperate team.