IBB called from the dugout.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I actually bit the bullet a few years ago and canceled cable, whether I can still see games or not.  I like radio baseball better anyhow. 

The funny thing is that I'd totally pay a little less for a smaller package that includes ROOT sports, but the smallest level that includes it is like 90 a bucks a month.  How many games could one go to and see LIVE for that much?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: I actually bit the bullet a few years ago and canceled cable, whether I can still see games or not.  I like radio baseball better anyhow. 

The funny thing is that I'd totally pay a little less for a smaller package that includes ROOT sports, but the smallest level that includes it is like 90 a bucks a month.  How many games could one go to and see LIVE for that much?

If $17 is the cheapest ticket, then 5 games.

Parking, a beer, a hot dog - you are around $50 a game.

I watch a lot of TV, I watch a lot of games. So the $100 a month is something I do get my use for. I didn't like the streaming devices to see live games. Kept going in and out and the picture quality isn't that good either. That's the main reason I still have cable.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Well five games a month then--actually more because you'd be buying cable twelve months a year while the baseball season is only six. 

I'm hoping that they realize that cable needs baseball more than the other way around.  They can either cut prices for the "thrifty" (i.e. cheap like me;)) or MLB can finally take the jump and offer better streaming options for IN MARKET subscribers. 

EDIT--I'm not trying to say that people with cable are making a wrong decision. I just found that I wasn't really using it that much other than baseball (which is a LOT mind you, heh).
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I've found that with a good wifi connection, MLB.tv is quite good.  I'm a Mac user, and I've streamed games on my iMac, my MacBook Pro, my iPad, my iPhone, and Apple TV.  If you get a download rate anywhere over 10 Mbps or so, which is really pretty slow anymore, streaming is fine.

Personally, I think the bubble is going to pop sooner or later. Frankly, that's probably why they are being so aggressive in drawing in young fans, allegedly anyway. As millennials continue entering into adulthood, more and more people who are willing to cord cut are threatening MLB's revenue stream. But so few of our generation, compared to our parents, are into MLB. I can count on one hand how many people in my generation are MLB.tv subscribers. Gotta get them hooked into MLB so they keep paying the cable bill.