The Bench for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Bench for 2017

Post by Bobster21 »

2925247F767F777A7D62784F0 wrote: To follow up on my previous text maybe the best way to avoid all these situations regarding player movement to and from the roster it would be in the best interest of the owners, players and fans to expand rosters to 27, but game day roster be limited to 25. This might be a better scenario than putting a player on second base in extra innings. If a team has a a rally in the eleventh inning the manager has that extra bench player to pinch hit instead of let's say Jeff Locke. If I recall back in the mid sixties teams opened up the month of April with a couple extra players on the 25 man roster. As you look at rosters today a team actually has only 22 or23 players available each game. Managers are not going to use the previous or next days starting pitcher in the game that day. I think this change would be good for the game.

Yes, the rule was that teams opened the season with 28 players and had 30 days to cut down to 25. Not sure when that changed.
ChitownBucco

The Bench for 2017

Post by ChitownBucco »

373B3A6168616964637C66510 wrote: Since the Bucs won't need a fifth stater until the Sunday game against the Braves I wonder if they bring Osuna north for the first five games and then send him down and bring up whomever is the stater who wins the fifth slot in the rotation.

can't do it

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3506

A player who is optioned to the minors generally must remain on Optional Assignment for at least ten days. (A player optioned to the minors during Spring Training generally must remain on Optional Assignment for the first ten days of the MLB regular season). The only exceptions are if the player is recalled as the "26th man" for a day where a doubleheader was scheduled at least 48 hours in advance (or for the second game of the doubleheader only if the doubleheader was scheduled less than 48 hours in advance), or is recalled to replace a player on the 25-man roster who is placed on an MLB inactive list (Disabled List, Bereavement List, Paternity List, Restricted List, et al), or if the player is traded.
If a player must remain in the minors for ten days could not a team option a pitcher to Indy on March 27th and then recall him for that start on April 8th vs the Braves ? I think that would be permissible.

no, if they are optioned to the minors at ANY point in spring training, whether it is the first day of spring training or the last day. that means they would have to spend the first 10 days of the MLB schedule off the 25 man roster.

if it was legal and do-able, i'm pretty sure some smart gm's and managers would have done this already
DemDog

The Bench for 2017

Post by DemDog »

Seems the Bucs have decided on their bench to open the season as reported by the Tribune Review Pirates Bench Comes Into Focus

Jaso, Stewart, Gosselin, Hanson, Fraser. No true #4 OF or really experience backup SS. It is a shame that Osuna is like Dave Kingman in the OF.
BucsFaninGA

The Bench for 2017

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I think Osuna has given management the option and opened their eyes to his ability. Several teams were rumored to have been inquiring about him during the winter, therefore the Bucs moved Jose to the 40 man roster. While I think John Jaso is a good team guy, I like Jose's bat. I think it is a matter of time before Jose moves up to the big leagues. Beatem Bucs! 8-)
CarolinaBucco

The Bench for 2017

Post by CarolinaBucco »

So bench power is going to fall of DRAMATICALLY, like falling off a cliff.

Total HRs off the bench over/under 10 ?
PMike

The Bench for 2017

Post by PMike »

1032213C3F3A3D32112630303C530 wrote: So bench power is going to fall of DRAMATICALLY, like falling off a cliff.

Total HRs off the bench over/under 10 ?

No one expected the power we got out of the bench last year.

Secondly, I'd say that power is overrated. I'd much prefer that each of those guys would give you a quality at bat and be able to move runners or get rallys going.
mouse

The Bench for 2017

Post by mouse »

There were a lot of times last year when a simple base hit would have done wonders. That's why I like batters like Osuna.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Bench for 2017

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If Mercer goes down for an extended period of time, it could be trouble. Mercer's defense is very solid and very underrated in my opinion. He's a smart player too. I am predicting a breakout year for Mercer. He is a free agent in 2019.
BucsFaninGA

The Bench for 2017

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I totally agree with you Dog. Jordy is a very dependable SS. And his hitting continues to improve! Hoping for #10 to have a great 2017 campaign! Beat'em Bucs!
SammyKhalifa

The Bench for 2017

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, he's easy to forget about (which in this instance is a good thing)