Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Spring Training Baseball

Post by DemDog »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: Another interesting point, eventually I think MLB will go to having a computer call balls and strikes.  The technology is already there to be able to do this.  When such a change occurs, it will effectively eliminate pitch framing as a skill.

Interesting clips Dog. Thanks for posting them. But I have my doubts that even if the technology is there why do what Byrnes is suggesting. Yes it will take all ball/strike errors out of the game but it will also take out more of the human factor. If we keep up with the tech but do not think thru how it is applied we as fans may some day be rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates robots or androids instead of human players. Then it becomes a game of robot/android mfg can make the best and cheapest units for playing the game.

I really enjoyed this segment on HBO's Real Sports:

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/hbo-throws ... -computers

There are some You Tube clips of the game too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKGqkqvigWo

SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5F7E765F747C1B0 wrote:

Interesting clips Dog.  Thanks for posting them.  But I have my doubts that even if the technology is there why do what Byrnes is suggesting.  Yes it will take all ball/strike errors out of the game but it will also take out more of the human factor.  If we keep up with the tech but do not think thru how it is applied we as fans may some day be rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates robots or androids instead of human players.  Then it becomes a game of robot/android mfg can make the best and cheapest units for playing the game. 

sounds a lot like the late 90s/early 2000s. ;)
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm totally in favor of electronic balls/strikes. Not a fan of the "human factor" if it's something humans can't get right and I'm so tired of watching umpires miss calls that change games. Calling the pitches was never exact but years ago, umpires didn't have to call pitches thrown near 100 mph. But athletes throw harder now than ever before and if they aren't in the mid-90s they're considered soft tossers. That split second umps have to make the call just isn't enough. The home plate ump is still needed for plays at the plate and to signal the ball or strike as it's relayed in his earpiece. It would also speed up the game by calling a strike a strike. And batters might take fewer pitches if they knew they weren't going to "get a call' on a close pitch.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"Former Pirate Reese McGuire will start at catcher for the Blue Jays today."
johnfluharty

Spring Training Baseball

Post by johnfluharty »

0D3F33332715363F3237383F5E0 wrote: you gotta love spring training gameday reporting

5 by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

That new 5-strikes rule is really going to slow down the game! ;D
johnfluharty

Spring Training Baseball

Post by johnfluharty »

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote: I'm totally in favor of electronic balls/strikes. Not a fan of the "human factor" if it's something humans can't get right and I'm so tired of watching umpires miss calls that change games. Calling the pitches was never exact but years ago, umpires didn't have to call pitches thrown near 100 mph. But athletes throw harder now than ever before and if they aren't in the mid-90s they're considered soft tossers. That split second umps have to make the call just isn't enough. The home plate ump is still needed for plays at the plate and to signal the ball or strike as it's relayed in his earpiece. It would also speed up the game by calling a strike a strike. And batters might take fewer pitches if they knew they weren't going to "get a call' on a close pitch.

If it could be managed, I'd like to keep the umps but give them augmented-reality headgear which could assist them with calling balls and strikes, calling safe or out, and so forth. Not sure just how it would work, but give the umps the tools to do a better job while keeping the human element in the game.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I want the calls to be right. Remember the 2015 WC game against the Cubs? Arietta had a much larger strike zone than Cole. That is not an opinion either, that is a fact.

I think Byrnes did it perfectly. He saw the lights, he got it in his ear piece too. The hitters and catchers will see the lights too.

The "human factor" questions the games. I do think the umps are the best officials in sports. Only getting 88% correct is not good enough.

I also don't understand the age of umpires. One's eye sight gets weaker with age. How come umpires aren't late 20's, early 30's? It shouldn't take 15 years to make it to the majors.
mouse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by mouse »

A run scored the other day on a balk. Is there an RBI for that? And if so, who gets it - the batter at the plate?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

57554F495F3A0 wrote: A run scored the other day on a balk. Is there an RBI for that? And if so, who gets it - the batter at the plate?

Not an RBI.

Just like a passed ball, wild pitch, or stealing home.
BenM

Spring Training Baseball

Post by BenM »

Today's ninth inning is not going well.