4/13 Game Thread - Back to Boston

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This is one of the worst ball/strike called games I've ever seen. At least the ump is equally incompetent for both teams. But he never seems to call a pitch the same way 2 times in a row. Strikes are balls and balls are strikes. Then he tried to pull a Jerry Meals on the easy tag out at the plate.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

Hudson was brought in to Hold. I have no problem with not using Watson. Kuhl might have been tired, Stewart might have pulled him (who knows?).

Hudson blew it. The Nicasio made it worse. I don't blame Hurdle for using his set up man in the 8th inning.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

does anybody else hate game day? My feed is stuck with Ramirez scoring on intentional walk.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: Kuhl did not appear to need help in the 7th. that wasted Rivero who could have pitched the 8th instead of Hudson and Nicasio. And of course with the game on the line in the 8th, Watson, arguably their best reliever, cannot be used to try to keep the lead from evaporating because, as Hurdle explained, he needs saves to increase his worth to some other team in his free agency year next year. And in today's bizzaro world of MLB, this is considered normal managing. 

Hudson was brought in to Hold.  I have no problem with not using Watson.  Kuhl might have been tired, Stewart might have pulled him (who knows?). 

Hudson blew it.  The Nicasio made it worse.  I don't blame Hurdle for using his set up man in the 8th inning.

No, Clint blew it too. No way Nicasio should have been pitching to Ramirez. One of a series of "bad plays" that combined to gift this game to the Sox.

This should be in the W column.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

153332253323500 wrote: does anybody else hate game day?  My feed is stuck with Ramirez scoring on intentional walk.

I now see this has changed to where he scored on a single and Ramirez now does not have a triple.

This is tough loss but good news is 3 runs and 7 hits. That counts as an offensive explosion for 2017.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Should have stayed with Hudson. But I didn't see anything, just watching the box score.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Getting swept in two of your first 3 series is not the way to start the season. The Pirates better start winning some games here within the next week or so in Chicago ,St Louis and home against the Yankees or they are going to dig themselves a hole they won't be able to climb out of. Count me in as worried about this team a great deal after 9 games.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Four losses in a row, and now a trip to Chicago. The Bucs could be digging themselves a very big hole. Nice game from Chad Kuhl,but the bullpen cannot hold the lead.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Brownie and the Rock are RIPPING the Pirate outfield. No excuses for the play. They're both challenging the "urgency" with which they play.

Teke piling on as well. Poor communications.

Marte is back to his frustrating on/off mentality.

Remember when we had "tge best OF in MLB"? They're the worse.
mouse

Post by mouse »

My reaction was that the defense gave the game away. Marte does not look like a center fielder at all. Then add that Mercer played the ball coming from Marte (on the one he let drop in front of him) as though it were a tag play. He could have been on the outfield side of the base and reached out for the ball and had a force at second.