Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

Korean court orders full trial for Kang.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

From what I understand, he plead guilty and the penalty is handed down next friday.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I always thought the other person in the car was a female. I guess I assumed based on his other actions.

One thing that could help the Pirates is that their President went through the same thing a few years ago. I would still be shocked if MLB came down on him. The Pirates, on the other hand, could do something but the Union would probably be all over that too.

I just hope he gets to Bradenton soon.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: I always thought the other person in the car was a female.  I guess I assumed based on his other actions. 

One thing that could help the Pirates is that their President went through the same thing a few years ago.  I would still be shocked if MLB came down on him.  The Pirates, on the other hand, could do something but the Union would probably be all over that too.

I'd guess mandated rehab + community service.

I think the penalty will differ depending on whether MLB considers this a first time offense (first time as a MLBer) or multiple. 

There's also the matter of whether he lied to the Pirates or MLB about his history.  I bet that would be enough for the Pirates to void his contract and place him on the restricted list if they so wished.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6A5854544072515855505F58390 wrote: I always thought the other person in the car was a female.  I guess I assumed based on his other actions. 

One thing that could help the Pirates is that their President went through the same thing a few years ago.  I would still be shocked if MLB came down on him.  The Pirates, on the other hand, could do something but the Union would probably be all over that too.

I think the penalty will differ depending on whether MLB considers this a first time offense (first time as a MLBer) or multiple. 

There's also the matter of whether he lied to the Pirates or MLB about his history.  I bet that would be enough for the Pirates to void his contract and place him on the restricted list if they so wished.

I am sure if he lied, it will be forgiven. Kang would be scooped up in a heartbeat. Many players have done worse. Sad, but true.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: I always thought the other person in the car was a female.  I guess I assumed based on his other actions. 

I am sure if he lied, it will be forgiven.  Kang would be scooped up in a heartbeat.  Many players have done worse.  Sad, but true.

Not if he's on the restricted list they can't scoop him up.

I'm not saying that they would or even should, just that they COULD and there isn't much that the MLBPA could say about it. It could possibly come into play if the "Chicago Incident" ever becomes anything.
mouse

Post by mouse »

The problem here isn't what MLB will do or what the Pirates will do. They both have rehab programs in place for alcohol offenses. The problem is first with the Korean court. If the article is correct, Kang had a deal in place which the judges rejected, given the seriousness of the situation. That's not a good sign, as they could think jail time is more appropriate. The second level of concern is the visa issue. There is an increasing attention to people with criminal records getting into the country. An ordinary person would not make it. We are counting on the athlete exception to the rules of life, and that is normally a pretty reliable exception, but with the new atmosphere, who can say it's certain. I think the Kang situation is more tenuous at this point than the Pirates are letting on.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

5B59434553360 wrote: The problem here isn't what MLB will do or what the Pirates will do. They both have rehab programs in place for alcohol offenses. The problem is first with the Korean court. If the article is correct, Kang had a deal in place which the judges rejected, given the seriousness of the situation. That's not a good sign, as they could think jail time is more appropriate. The second level of concern is the visa issue. There is an increasing attention to people with criminal records getting into the country. An ordinary person would not make it. We are counting on the athlete exception to the rules of life, and that is normally a pretty reliable exception, but with the new atmosphere, who can say it's certain. I think the Kang situation is more tenuous at this point than the Pirates are letting on.

I agree with this. I think Kang will receive favorable treatment on the Visa. The real question is in Korea. I'm not familiar enough with Korean culture to know if they have special rules in place, even unwritten rules, for celebrities as we do in the States. I tend to think, as a general rule of thumb, that Asian cultures tend to treat these things more seriously than we do here, and tend not to give the same star treatment we do here.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Kang has received an 8 month sentence but it is suspended for two years.  In other words if he gets into trouble over the next two years he will serve an 8 month sentence. He still could face a punishment from MLB.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Let's get him that work visa and on a plane.