Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Trade news

Post by mouse »

Ask McClatchy (sp) how that worked out.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1430242C29450 wrote: Or a new investor?  Does that ever happen anymore?

Typically new investors are sought to add some needed cash when a franchise is in financial difficulty. The Pirate franchise is robustly healthy with a potential return on investment for Nutting already estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Nutting would be foolish to seek another investor. He doesn't need the cash and would have to part with a percentage of his windfall profit.

I get that. It would be selling a low percentage of the team for some big bucks since the team is worth so much.
johnfluharty

Trade news

Post by johnfluharty »

Nutting is principal owner.  He may own less than 100%.  I don't think he has bought everyone else out but I can't find a current list of minority owners.  I doubt he has any interest in decreasing his percentage though.
SCBucco

Trade news

Post by SCBucco »

13363535200B363E3C2B590 wrote: I would think twice about trading Cutch. He has shown in the last month that he can still be an impact player. We don't know if Meadows will be "the Man". Polanco is a mess. What will Marte be like when he returns? I would try to extend Cutch's contract.

My focus would be to get the maximum return on Cole. We have some starting pitching depth, plus we could get additional high end pitching prospects and possibly an impact position prospect.

Need to maximize the value of Cole this year not next year. Too bad Torres blew out his elbow. Still; the Yankees or the Astros could put an attractive package together.

You want to keep Cutch because you're worried Meadows might not work out, but you're willing to trade Cole?  You NEVER have enough pitching, and certainly we don't have it now.  You want to maximize Cole's value, but you're ready to ride out old man Cutch's contract and sign him for more?  I don't see the logic in any of this.

Cole is gone in 2 years. Nutting is not going to pay Cole market value. On the other hand I think Cutch would consider staying.

Cutch is on pace for 30+ HR's 90+ RBI's. Who is going to replace that? Nobody. We don't have any impact bats in the OF. Meadows has not shown that type of power.

I agree with you that you can never have enough pitching. However I believe we have some depth in Brault, Keller, Glasnow, Kingham, Hearns etc. Lets face it. Cole isn't lighting it up.

Not sure if he will ever have a 19 win season again. However if other teams think so, then we need to capitalize on that perceived value now

A good return on Cole may not only replace him but get the offense we need

Right now we need to fix the bullpen and the offense.

My biggest fear is they hold onto Cutch, which would be a mistake. Now that he is turning things around, I fear they decide to hold onto him because they think they are competitive. They aren't. They need to deal him at the TDL this year, not have him come off the books in two years.
JollyRoger

Trade news

Post by JollyRoger »

5242437462626E010 wrote: I would think twice about trading Cutch. He has shown in the last month that he can still be an impact player. We don't know if Meadows will be "the Man". Polanco is a mess. What will Marte be like when he returns? I would try to extend Cutch's contract.

My focus would be to get the maximum return on Cole. We have some starting pitching depth, plus we could get additional high end pitching prospects and possibly an impact position prospect.

Need to maximize the value of Cole this year not next year. Too bad Torres blew out his elbow. Still; the Yankees or the Astros could put an attractive package together.

You want to keep Cutch because you're worried Meadows might not work out, but you're willing to trade Cole?  You NEVER have enough pitching, and certainly we don't have it now.  You want to maximize Cole's value, but you're ready to ride out old man Cutch's contract and sign him for more?  I don't see the logic in any of this.

Cole is gone in 2 years. Nutting is not going to pay Cole market value. On the other hand I think Cutch would consider staying.

Cutch is on pace for 30+ HR's 90+ RBI's. Who is going to replace that? Nobody. We don't have any impact bats in the OF. Meadows has not shown that type of power.

I agree with you that you can never have enough pitching. However I believe we have some depth in Brault, Keller, Glasnow, Kingham, Hearns etc. Lets face it. Cole isn't lighting it up.

Not sure if he will ever have a 19 win season again. However if other teams think so, then we need to capitalize on that perceived value now

A good return on Cole may not only replace him but get the offense we need

Right now we need to fix the bullpen and the offense.

My biggest fear is they hold onto Cutch, which would be a mistake.  Now that he is turning things around, I fear they decide to hold onto him because they think they are competitive.  They aren't.  They need to deal him at the TDL this year, not have him come off the books in two years.

Cole will net a bigger return in Propects. Keep Cutch. We need the offense. He is still the face of the franchise. Without Cutch the Bucs would be a faceless,leaderless, nobody
Quail

Trade news

Post by Quail »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Or a new investor?  Does that ever happen anymore?

Typically new investors are sought to add some needed cash when a franchise is in financial difficulty. The Pirate franchise is robustly healthy with a potential return on investment for Nutting already estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Nutting would be foolish to seek another investor. He doesn't need the cash and would have to part with a percentage of his windfall profit.

I get that.  It would be selling a low percentage of the team for some big bucks since the team is worth so much. 

What makes you think that Nutting doesn't have "some big bucks" already? CNBC has reported that Bob Nutting is the 10th richest owner in MLB. http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com ... hest-owner

If he happens to be cash strapped (for which I have yet to see any evidence) he can get a loan at an extremely favorable rate which would be a much better deal for him than bringing in another investor who would expect a return on investment (directly out of Bob's share) far larger than the interest on the loan.