Game Thread: 8-15-17 Bucs vs. Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

71797A4D5B7E5956380 wrote: So Hurdle wastes his challenge on a play with no chance of being reversed and then can't challenge a horrible call that wrongly gives the Brewers a run. Wow.

Exactly. Why they even challenged that Bell play is beyond me. He was out by a country mile.
The challenge was on whether or not the catcher was blocking the sliding lane (which he was), not that he was safe/out. Really don't understand why that rule is in place if it is rarely enforced.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5C575F5356574C090F784159505757165B57380 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

Did any trade returns for bullpen help bring back major league ready players? 

I would think holding onto Nicasio is for next year as he would be needed next year not some kid a few years away. 

Perhaps holding out for an even better deal in August. I'm pretty sure he is a free agent after this season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0E28293E28384B0 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

I would think holding onto Nicasio is for next year as he would be needed next year not some kid a few years away. 

Perhaps holding out for an even better deal in August.  I'm pretty sure he is a free agent after this season.

Yes, you are correct. He is a free agent after this season. Huntington said he wasn't traded because they still wanted to win this year. I know many don't believe that statement, but that is why someone like Nicasio wasn't moved. I assumed the return was pretty bad as I thought Nicasio would have been dealt for sure.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

5C7A7B6C7A6A190 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Perhaps holding out for an even better deal in August.  I'm pretty sure he is a free agent after this season.

That would be a very bad strategy.  He wouldnt pass through waivers.   The claiming team could offer whatever they wanted, we would revoke the waiver.

Then to trade him we would have to try to pass him through waivers again without the ability to revoke.

It could possible work if a player can pass through waivers because then it's a free for all.  (Bruce, Walker)  It's a one team market for the claiming team if they won't pass through.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Yes, you are correct.  He is a free agent after this season.  Huntington said he wasn't traded because they still wanted to win this year.  I know many don't believe that statement, but that is why someone like Nicasio wasn't moved.  I assumed the return was pretty bad as I thought Nicasio would have been dealt for sure.

So NH wants to compete this year. But won't take on a few million and lose a scrub prospect for an outfielder.

Got it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5E575F4E403A0 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Yes, you are correct.  He is a free agent after this season.  Huntington said he wasn't traded because they still wanted to win this year.  I know many don't believe that statement, but that is why someone like Nicasio wasn't moved.  I assumed the return was pretty bad as I thought Nicasio would have been dealt for sure.

So NH wants to compete this year.  But won't take on a few million and lose a scrub prospect for an outfielder. 

Got it.

He took on over $7 million since August???
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

So NH wants to compete this year.  But won't take on a few million and lose a scrub prospect for an outfielder. 

Got it.

7 million? How?

Benoit is due 2.6 mil but Bucs received cash considerations to help pay that. Rodriguez is due about 1.9 million. Kontos is due about 580,000. That's a little over 5 million. Subtract the "cash considerations" from the Phillies for Benoit. Subtract about 1.9 million still owed Watson. So NH has taken on the difference between approximately 3 million and the cash considerations. Or am I forgetting about something?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

230E03121504135350610 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Got it.

7 million? How?

Benoit is due 2.6 mil but Bucs received cash considerations to help pay that. Rodriguez is due about 1.9 million. Kontos is due about 580,000. That's a little over 5 million. Subtract the "cash considerations" from the Phillies for Benoit. Subtract about 1.9 million still owed Watson. So NH has taken on the difference between approximately 3 million and the cash considerations. Or am I forgetting about something?

Yes.

Sean Rodriguez is due $5,750,000 in 2018.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Got it.

7 million? How?

Yes.

Ok. I was just looking at this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

624F42535445521211200 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Got it.

7 million? How?

Yes.

Ok. I was just looking at this year.

I know we don't nit-pick around here (what I was told), but even your numbers came up with a few million. Yes, no scrub prospect was lost, but millions of dollars were added.