Cole/Harrison

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Docjon49

Cole/Harrison

Post by Docjon49 »

1A3F3C3C29023F373522500 wrote: I think Harrison would be extremely valuable to the Yankees. With the 2 young guys in the infield Harrison could spell them at any time and/or start until they are acclimated. He can also move to the OF. The best thing he is very good on defense no matter where you put him.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on this.  I don't.  Again, curious as to what is his value.  I think if you are trading both, you send them in separate deals.

Yep. As I said earlier I would do the Cole for Frazier, Andujar and Adams trade right now. I have no idea what would be offered for JHay alone.
I was hoping for a Cole for Frazier, Adams, and Andujar. The Yanks might be hesitant to do that. I would hate to see JHay go. He is the heart and soul of the team. The clubhouse would suffer in my opinion. Instead I would try to make this a mega deal. Would the Yanks consider Cole, Rivero, and Freese for Frazier, Adams, Andujar, and Torres?

Why would the Yankees want Rivero?  They have Chapman.  Why would they want David Freese?  Truly a part-time guy who has a glove but not enought power or stamina to play 162 games. 

I've been on OBN since almost the beginning and I am afraid that you like me often over estimate the worth of the guys we think the Bucs should trade.  I sure hope that NH is looking elsewhere for deals for Cole, Harrison, Cutch and perhaps Rivero.  Make the Yankees squirm if that is possible.

I can't fault you for being a dreamer.  Who knows that dream might come true!

My thinking is Freese could bridge the gap until Machado is available. Rivero and Chapman gives the Yanks the most dominating bullpen in baseball. Also provides insurance either way in case of injury. Bucs keep JHay and his versatility. My dream aspect is that the Bucs sign Cutch for 4-5 years. They are getting 50 million extra this year. That 50M plus the savings from Cole and Freese would allow the Bucs to offer Cutch 4-5 years at 20M a year.

In summary the Bucs retool with Frazier, Adams, Andujar, Torres and would still be able to compete with most of the roster intact.

WHY?  WHY?  WHY?

Do you really think he's not on the downward slope of his career, with maybe one bounceback year left in him before he becomes a middle-of-the-road player?  Cutch is the archetype of the player we should NOT be paying $20 mil to for years at a time.  Why pay him 20% of the team's salary for 4-5 years?  If we're gonna spend ownership's money (and I'm all for that), let's not buy an albatross.

mouse

Cole/Harrison

Post by mouse »

Exactly. Part of the problem with our minor league system is that we drafted low for several years in a row. We should be looking to trade players like Cutch for (I would think) low level but good prospects. Teams are more willing to give up prospects at a low level than they are one ML ready, so you can get more players. They don't all make it but the ones you get have already passed the jump from high school/college to have value.
dmetz

Cole/Harrison

Post by dmetz »

654E424B4E4F1518210 wrote: I think Harrison would be extremely valuable to the Yankees. With the 2 young guys in the infield Harrison could spell them at any time and/or start until they are acclimated. He can also move to the OF. The best thing he is very good on defense no matter where you put him.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on this.  I don't.  Again, curious as to what is his value.  I think if you are trading both, you send them in separate deals.

Yep. As I said earlier I would do the Cole for Frazier, Andujar and Adams trade right now. I have no idea what would be offered for JHay alone.
I was hoping for a Cole for Frazier, Adams, and Andujar. The Yanks might be hesitant to do that. I would hate to see JHay go. He is the heart and soul of the team. The clubhouse would suffer in my opinion. Instead I would try to make this a mega deal. Would the Yanks consider Cole, Rivero, and Freese for Frazier, Adams, Andujar, and Torres?

Why would the Yankees want Rivero?  They have Chapman.  Why would they want David Freese?  Truly a part-time guy who has a glove but not enought power or stamina to play 162 games. 

I've been on OBN since almost the beginning and I am afraid that you like me often over estimate the worth of the guys we think the Bucs should trade.  I sure hope that NH is looking elsewhere for deals for Cole, Harrison, Cutch and perhaps Rivero.  Make the Yankees squirm if that is possible.

My thinking is Freese could bridge the gap until Machado is available. Rivero and Chapman gives the Yanks the most dominating bullpen in baseball. Also provides insurance either way in case of injury. Bucs keep JHay and his versatility. My dream aspect is that the Bucs sign Cutch for 4-5 years. They are getting 50 million extra this year. That 50M plus the savings from Cole and Freese would allow the Bucs to offer Cutch 4-5 years at 20M a year.

In summary the Bucs retool with Frazier, Adams, Andujar, Torres and would still be able to compete with most of the roster intact.

WHY?  WHY?  WHY?

Do you really think he's not on the downward slope of his career, with maybe one bounceback year left in him before he becomes a middle-of-the-road player?  Cutch is the archetype of the player we should NOT be paying $20 mil to for years at a time.  Why pay him 20% of the team's salary for 4-5 years?  If we're gonna spend ownership's money (and I'm all for that), let's not buy an albatross.

Well, we are not going to sign anyone with the 50 million so better Cutch gets it than an imaginary player.

Better yet, trade him and sign other good players with a future. (Haha, I know funny right?)

DemDog

Cole/Harrison

Post by DemDog »

012427273219242C2E394B0 wrote: I think Harrison would be extremely valuable to the Yankees. With the 2 young guys in the infield Harrison could spell them at any time and/or start until they are acclimated. He can also move to the OF. The best thing he is very good on defense no matter where you put him.

No way the Yankees give that much to the Bucs for an upper middle of the road starter, a lefty set up guy who is just like their closer, and a bridge 3Bman.

As for signing Cutch, in my younger days when salaries were not so darn high you have a good point in keeping him. But for what he will make according to you as he regresses in ability his cost goes up. But still, losing him would like losing Clemente for me. As for Harrison, I too love him and hope they can keep him but at his salary level (NH screwed up there) and the demand for someone like him around MLB I think he has to be traded.

Trading Cole, Cutch and Harrison might net the Bucs a few near MLB ready prospects or some rather good prospects that are a few yrs away.

I guess in the long run, the Bucs are do or damned. They anger some for trading their best players and not spending to supplement them. Or they please some for doing the trades in the hope that they can win, win, win, in the near future.

Good discussion my friend.
SCBucco

Cole/Harrison

Post by SCBucco »

795C5F5F4A615C545641330 wrote: I think Harrison would be extremely valuable to the Yankees. With the 2 young guys in the infield Harrison could spell them at any time and/or start until they are acclimated. He can also move to the OF. The best thing he is very good on defense no matter where you put him.

Machado to Pittsburgh? LOL. We have an owner that is concerned about saving 600k of Nicascio and we are signing Machado? Let's dial back the dream.

Freese is a backup at best. We need something better and younger. If you want in house, keep Harrison. I think they should.

Wake up from your dream about resigning Cutch for that long at 20 mill. He is regressing. We need to deal him, not resign him.

Yanks aren't giving up that for Cole.
JollyRoger

Cole/Harrison

Post by JollyRoger »

0B1B1A2D3B3B37580 wrote: I think Harrison would be extremely valuable to the Yankees. With the 2 young guys in the infield Harrison could spell them at any time and/or start until they are acclimated. He can also move to the OF. The best thing he is very good on defense no matter where you put him.

Machado to Pittsburgh?  LOL.  We have an owner that is concerned about saving 600k of Nicascio and we are signing Machado?  Let's dial back the dream.

Freese is a backup at best.  We need something better and younger.  If you want in house, keep Harrison.  I think they should.

Wake up from your dream about resigning Cutch for that long at 20 mill.  He is regressing.  We need to deal him, not resign him.

Yanks aren't giving up that for Cole.
Maybe I wasn’t clear or you misunderstood. I was not talking about Machado in Pittsburgh. I was suggesting that the Yanks would entertain going for him as a free agent in 2019.

I don’t believe that Cutch is guaranteed to regress. I think he will continue to put up numbers like last year for the next 4-5 years. Go ahead and scoff but the man has no body fat and is in great shape. It would be nice for a change to keep one of our own.
notes34

Cole/Harrison

Post by notes34 »

I think Cutch will be a decent player for several more years. A .275/.370/.450 player is still a good player. I think he will come close to that. I just don't think the Bucs will spend the money to keep him.
JollyRoger

Cole/Harrison

Post by JollyRoger »

08232F26232278754C0 wrote: I think Harrison would be extremely valuable to the Yankees. With the 2 young guys in the infield Harrison could spell them at any time and/or start until they are acclimated. He can also move to the OF. The best thing he is very good on defense no matter where you put him.

WHY?  WHY?  WHY?

Actually I don’t think Cutch is guaranteed to regress. I also am Not sold on Meadows. I think he is overhyped. Plus Polanco is an enigma. If ever there was a time the Bucs could lock up one of their own franchise players it is now. I agree that we should not have one player with 20% of the payroll. But we all know Payroll should not be 100M. We all know the reason the Bucs won’t invest in an average 150M ML Payroll is Mr Nutting
mouse

Cole/Harrison

Post by mouse »

But the problem is, that's the reality of the situation. Given that constraint, regardless of whether we like it, extending Cutch (or any top player for his declining years, doesn't make much sense. When the budget goes to $150MM, that's the time such action might make sense.
dmetz

Cole/Harrison

Post by dmetz »

383A202630550 wrote: But the problem is, that's the reality of the situation. Given that constraint, regardless of whether we like it, extending Cutch (or any top player for his declining years, doesn't make much sense. When the budget goes to $150MM, that's the time such action might make sense.

What really doesn't make sense are baseball fans protecting ownership margins. % of payroll is an ownership talking point.  We all know the savings is not going to be spent in later years unless the way it was done the past 8 years changes.

If Cutch is traded for prospects (good idea) can we still sign a FA or 3?