Brandon Nimmo for Josh Harrison?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: I see no reason why Harrison will be traded. He'll play 2B and bat behind Frazier, who will play LF.

You see no reason or you don't think it will happen?

I don't see a reason to carry a 30 year old who could bring back a decent trade. Harrison is the best 2B on the team, but they also have some guys who can fill the position who seem ready too. Another reason why I think a trade will happen.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

given the quality of returns in deals (to us but also in baseball as a whole) I wouldn't be in a hurry to move him just to move him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: I see no reason why Harrison will be traded. He'll play 2B and bat behind Frazier, who will play LF.

I don't see a reason to carry a 30 year old who could bring back a decent trade.  Harrison is the best 2B on the team, but they also have some guys who can fill the position who seem ready too.  Another reason why I think a trade will happen.

As I said, Harrison will be at 2B and Frazier in LF IMHO. It was no secret they were shopping Cole and Cutch. While there is interest in Harrison, I haven't heard he's being shopped like the other two were. He's under control 3 more years, would leave a gaping hole at 2B, and by process of elimination is now probably the face of the franchise. Payroll is now down to 70 million and further reductions would be hard to justify, especially when accomplished by dealing one of the most useful remaining players who can't be readily replaced. The anti-Pirates sentiment from the fan base, local media and even national media is at an all time high and the BMTIB is wildly spinning the recent trades (we're gonna contend this year, maybe, kinda sorta) but the public's not buying it. If they trade him next year it will just be another trade. But trading him now on the heels of the other two very unpopular trades would be the final nail in the coffin for a FO that's still hoping attendance will at least be semi respectable.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

113C31202736216162530 wrote: I see no reason why Harrison will be traded. He'll play 2B and bat behind Frazier, who will play LF.

I don't see a reason to carry a 30 year old who could bring back a decent trade.  Harrison is the best 2B on the team, but they also have some guys who can fill the position who seem ready too.  Another reason why I think a trade will happen.

As I said, Harrison will be at 2B and Frazier in LF IMHO. It was no secret they were shopping Cole and Cutch. While there is interest in Harrison, I haven't heard he's being shopped like the other two were. He's under control 3 more years, would leave a gaping hole at 2B, and by process of elimination is now probably the face of the franchise. Payroll is now down to 70 million and further reductions would be hard to justify, especially when accomplished by dealing one of the most useful remaining players who can't be readily replaced. The anti-Pirates sentiment from the fan base, local media and even national media is at an all time high and the BMTIB is wildly spinning the recent trades (we're gonna contend this year, maybe, kinda sorta) but the public's not buying it. If they trade him next year it will just be another trade. But trading him now on the heels of the other two very unpopular trades would be the final nail in the coffin for a FO that's still hoping attendance will at least be semi respectable.   

PR took a blow for sure. I think since it is already low, now is the time to trade him. I am believing the rumors that he could bring back a decent return. If that isn't true, I would keep him too. But he isn't happy, so who knows how that will play out. He is a positive guy, but he also had other leaders. I hope that doesn't change, but can't look good that he spoke up saying he wants traded.

With the younger guys like Frazier and Moroff on the team, Rodriguez is there too, there are people to fill his spot. I am not saying they will be better at all, but there wasn't a replacement for McCutchen and he was still moved. Harrison would help those handful of teams that have a shot this year.

I guess we will see.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

So far it looks like a mess of team for 2018.

Moroff, Harrison, Freese, Moran, S-Rod, to cover second and third.

To me, S-Rod should be odd man out because of his age and salary.

He is an example of paying someone for their career year. He should be too risky for a team like the Pirates. (maybe I've jinxed him and he will now be MVP candidate!)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6A4C4D5A4C5C2F0 wrote: So far it looks like a mess of team for 2018. 

Moroff, Harrison, Freese, Moran, S-Rod, to cover second and third.

To me, S-Rod should be odd man out because of his age and salary.

He is an example of paying someone for their career year.  He should be too risky for a team like the Pirates. (maybe I've jinxed him and he will now be MVP candidate!)

I agree, but NH called him a "core player" when he talked about reacquiring him after he left.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Is Rodriguez the emergency catcher? I know he was in 2015 and 2016 as many thought Walker ('15) and Jaso ('16) would jump back there if needed. That wasn't the case then.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think I'd keep Rodriguez over Freese if there's the option.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1B2925253103202924212E29480 wrote: I think I'd keep Rodriguez over Freese if there's the option.

yeah, I could see S-Rod being better than Freese.

I think S-Rod could be valuable on a team like the Yankees, Astros, Red Sox, Angels.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Would Milwaukee trade Domingo Santana for Harrison?