Bucs need a backup CF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by Bobster21 »

646F676B6E6F743137407961686F6F2E636F000 wrote:

I don’t think Huntington is a poor GM. He works for boss who pinches pennies for his baseball team. I would like to see what Huntington could do if he worked for an owner who permitted him to spend 15 -20 million dollars per year more.

NH is one of the longest tenured GMs in baseball,  and just upped for four more tears. Either he sees eye to eye with his boss, or else he's not wanted elsewhere.

According to Wiki, Huntington is 4th in tenure behind Yankees, Rangers, and Royals.

That's interesting. This will be his 11th year. I'm surprised only 3 others have more time.

Since he took over in 2008, 8 other organizations have won WS and 14 organizations overall have participated in WS. Yet only 3 of them still retain the same GM. Of the 16 organizations who have not participated, only one retains the same GM and he just got a 4-year extension even though the success he experienced was brief and limited and his team is now headed in the wrong direction. I guess the Pirates are just smarter than everyone else.
Ecbucs

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by Ecbucs »

3A36376C656C64696E716B5C0 wrote: If Nava stinks, they will just cut him like they have to so many other players they brought in. I'm not sure why so many people are up in arms over a minor league contract?

Because this cheap organization is too busy bringing in non talent on minor league contracts and not addressing the key problems.  They aren't solving anything.  That is why.

You need to realize they are rebuilding. I am not sure why you haven't yet.

Why would a rebuilding team waste at bats on a 35yr old never has been in a corner OF spot?  NH says we aren't rebuilding.   

It was a minor league contract for Nava.

You didn't believe Huntington before, so why do you believe him now?

Because his actions and trade returns indicate that he stupidly really believes what he's says.   He one of the worst GMs in the game and about 24 hours after your make believe boss, Bob Nutting, fires him you'll mysteriously come to the same conclusion.

Just like with Littlefield

You deserve this team
I don’t think Huntington is a poor GM. He works for boss who pinches pennies for his baseball team. I would like to see what Huntington could do if he worked for an owner who permitted him to spend 15 -20 million dollars per year more.

I used to think that. But apparently NH doesn't care, he doesn't try (or at least hasn't been successful in getting more money for his budget).

Also, he had a chance to become a free agent gm. If he really wanted to win he would at least have put his name out there rather than signing an extension.
MaineBucs

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by MaineBucs »

Broxton would have been a cheap and viable alternative if he had remained in the Pirate organization. He would not have cost any talent to acquire and he would be earning less than $600,000.

However, he is not a good candidate to bring into the fold if it takes real talent (e.g. someone like Harrison or even someone like Moroff to obtain him). Broxton is a poor stop gap and is not a building block. He wiff's far too often and doesn't get on base at an acceptable rate. His defensive metrics in CF weren't that good either.
dmetz

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dmetz »

6D7A777373777D752D1E0 wrote: i was PO when they traded Broxton for Jason Rogers, i think he'd be available now....i doubt it takes Harrison to get him.  Get it done, i think he'd be an excellent, cheap, backup CF.

I don't know. NH traded broxton and 2nd rounder Trey Supak for Rogers, who barely played an inning....it may take him Taillon to pry Broxton away from the Brewers!
SCBucco

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by SCBucco »

3B323A2B255F0 wrote: i was PO when they traded Broxton for Jason Rogers, i think he'd be available now....i doubt it takes Harrison to get him.  Get it done, i think he'd be an excellent, cheap, backup CF.

I don't know.  NH traded broxton and 2nd rounder Trey Supak for Rogers, who barely played an inning....it may take him Taillon to pry Broxton away from the Brewers!

You are catching on to the brilliance of NH.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It's weird how no one cared at the time of the Broxton trade. People actually liked the move as they were bringing in some depth with MLB experience for a team that was supposed to compete. Rogers was brought in because he had some 3B and OF experience. This trade happened before the Freese signing and Kang was injured.

We can all go back and see some posts too.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I liked Keon when he was here but didn't think he'd do what he did in MIL. I thought the trade would work out okay on our end.

Whelp I blew that one.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

01333F3F2B193A333E3B3433520 wrote: I liked Keon when he was here but didn't think he'd do what he did in MIL.  I thought the trade would work out okay on our end.

Whelp I blew that one. 

You weren't alone. The Pirates went with ML ready, the Brewers took the chance on potential. Both did well in the minors.

Broxton doesn't play 3B.
DemDog

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by DemDog »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Right now it appears Rodriguez is the first guy off the bench for any position except catcher.   

Ya know, I don't think that is a bad idea. SRod as the first guy off the bench when it comes to be filling in for a few games when say Marte goes on DL. And he can fill in on occasion as a defensive replacement.

My only concern after praising SRod is the Clint will feel my vibes and play him too much and make a near-regular out of him.
Bobster21

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by Bobster21 »

56777F567D75120 wrote: Right now it appears Rodriguez is the first guy off the bench for any position except catcher.   

Ya know, I don't think that is a bad idea.  SRod as the first guy off the bench when it comes to be filling in for a few games when say Marte goes on DL.  And he can fill in on occasion as a defensive replacement.

My only concern after praising SRod is the Clint will feel my vibes and play him too much and make a near-regular out of him. 

Agreed. As the roster stands, S-Rod is probably the best qualified reserve at any INF or OF position. But depending on who winds up on the roster, it may be better in the long run for Luplow or Osuna or Moroff (if their not in AAA) to get some of that PT.