Can a team pull together if the veterans are this grumpy?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Bobster, you convinced me . Enough is enough.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

777C74787D7C672224536A727B7C7C3D707C130 wrote: The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse.

This is the first time more than one player spoke up that I recall.  Here and there, a player has spoke up, especially around trade deadline.  I also think it goes back to the media.  The media is the one asking questions.  They are usually ignored when the team is winning or it is all positive.

Winning solves everything.  Attitudes change. 

why do say the media is against the Pirates? Can you link to a couple of examples?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

644243544252210 wrote: The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse.

This is the first time more than one player spoke up that I recall.  Here and there, a player has spoke up, especially around trade deadline.  I also think it goes back to the media.  The media is the one asking questions.  They are usually ignored when the team is winning or it is all positive.

why do say the media is against the Pirates?  Can you link to a couple of examples?

Really?

It's all negative. Do you listen to talk radio? They make fun of people following the Pirates. So many bloggers on the internet. People are still talking about Freese and Harrison. Local writers still tweet about 2016. Where are the feel good stories as camp is opening up? I am not saying it isn't justified, but it is all negative. Until they win like the Penguins and Steelers, the Pirates will never be respected.

Nutting owns newspapers. You don't think his rivals love taking shots at his other business?
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s not the media’s fault Bob Nutting doesn’t spend enough money and dip into free agency a little bit and try to improve this team on the field. Also, not the media’s fault that Neal Huntington can’t acquire better players when he makes trades and he hasn’t drafted very good in the last few seasons. Do those two things which they are capable of doing more often and the media and fan base will get off your back. Keep in mind Huntington always likes to bring up 2013-2015 success to the media while doing interviews, and I’ll still say while they were fun exciting seasons the Pirates still basically accomplished nothing in those 3 years. They won one wildcard game that’s it. They didn’t win a division title, they didn’t win a playoff series, and they didn’t win a pennant or World Series. So Huntington can’t keep falling back on those years every time he gets asked a tough question. Those years are done and gone and nobody cares about get anymore. You have had two straight losing seasons that’s the now. Fix the problem now and quit talking about the 3 years where you essentially accomplished nothing.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote: The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse.

why do say the media is against the Pirates?  Can you link to a couple of examples?

Really?

It's all negative.  Do you listen to talk radio?  They make fun of people following the Pirates.  So many bloggers on the internet.  People are still talking about Freese and Harrison.  Local writers still tweet about 2016.  Where are the feel good stories as camp is opening up?  I am not saying it isn't justified, but it is all negative.  Until they win like the Penguins and Steelers, the Pirates will never be respected.

Nutting owns newspapers.  You don't think his rivals love taking shots at his other business?   

Again not the media’s fault the Pirates don’t win. The media doesn’t sign free agents and make trades to help make the team better. Your defense of this ownership and management team is truly unfathomable. They do nothing wrong in your eyes absolutely nothing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

41667773766B54607776766B120 wrote: It’s not the media’s fault Bob Nutting doesn’t spend enough money and dip into free agency a little bit and try to improve this team on the field. Also, not the media’s fault that  Neal Huntington can’t acquire better players when he makes trades and he hasn’t drafted very good in the last few seasons. Do those two things which they are capable of doing more often and the media and fan base will get off your back. Keep in mind Huntington always likes to bring up 2013-2015 success to the media while doing interviews, and I’ll still say while they were fun exciting seasons the Pirates still basically accomplished nothing in those 3 years. They won one wildcard game that’s it. They didn’t win a division title, they didn’t win a playoff series, and they didn’t win a pennant or World Series. So Huntington can’t keep falling back on those years every time he gets asked a tough question. Those years are done and gone and nobody cares about get anymore. You have had two straight losing seasons that’s the now. Fix the problem now and quit talking about the 3 years where you essentially accomplished nothing.

I think we all understand that the media doesn't sign players and draft players. 

Since you brought up 2013-2015, how many times was it reported how the low payroll Pirates did a great job?  They won with a low payroll.  They were the second best team in the league record-wise in 2015.  Instead, it was why didn't they spend more to be even better.  Do you see the difference.

The same people are praising the moves the Brewers made this off season to bring their payroll up to par with the Pirates.  That's a shot against the Pirates.  You don't see that? 

The Post-Gazette ran a story about Gerrit Cole and how relaxed he is now in Houston.  Cole doesn't play for the Pirates, he isn't even in the same league anymore.  Again, that is a shot against the Pirates.  Where is the story about Taillon taking over the #1 rotation spot? 

Again, it isn't the media's fault the Pirates are losing and started a rebuild.  In general, the media is very negative against the Pirates.  Any story can be spun to a positive one.  Instead, they are all spun to be negative.  People don't like Nutting.  I get it, it sells. Now, people will say I am defending the Ownership. I am not. I am just pointing it out.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

735445414459665245444459200 wrote: The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse.

Really?

It's all negative.  Do you listen to talk radio?  They make fun of people following the Pirates.  So many bloggers on the internet.  People are still talking about Freese and Harrison.  Local writers still tweet about 2016.  Where are the feel good stories as camp is opening up?  I am not saying it isn't justified, but it is all negative.  Until they win like the Penguins and Steelers, the Pirates will never be respected.

Nutting owns newspapers.  You don't think his rivals love taking shots at his other business?   

Again not the media’s fault the Pirates don’t win. The media doesn’t sign free agents and make trades to help make the team better. Your defense of this ownership and management team is truly unfathomable. They do nothing wrong in your eyes absolutely nothing.[/quote]

See, I predicted that as I was posting at the same time.  Pointing something out doesn't mean support.  How many more times do I have to say I am not happy with the Ownership and especially, Huntington? 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse.

The media has not always been against the Pirates. But recently the media has become very critical and rightly so. Should they be whitewashing the obvious problems with the nutting regime? Should they be a shill for mgt and tell us what a great plan the BMTIB has and that they are on the right track for a championship despite all evidence to the contrary simply because Nutting, NH and Hurdle say so? Sure, the coverage is negative now. The truth hurts.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

143934252233246467560 wrote: The media has always been against the Pirates.  Now, with social media it got worse.

The media has not always been against the Pirates. But recently the media has become very critical and rightly so. Should they be whitewashing the obvious problems with the nutting regime? Should they be a shill for mgt and tell us what a great plan the BMTIB has and that they are on the right track for a championship despite all evidence to the contrary simply because Nutting, NH and Hurdle say so? Sure, the coverage is negative now. The truth hurts.

I am not saying the media is wrong. They could just report things or have some feel good stories about their current players (not Gerrit Cole). Lately, it has mostly been negative opinion reporting.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

PG just wrote a great piece on Polanco. They gushed over the Pirates when it looked like they were working a real plan. I can even remember Bob Nutting being lifted up, ready to occupy a hero’s position. There was something to write about. There were promises. Attendance was way up. The papers reported all of this. It was one big love fest.

Then the excuses started, promises were not kept, double talk became the standard. The team that looked like a champion was trashed by the FO.

What the heck do you expect the papers to report? The fact you are assigning some sort of blame to media reveals something that maybe you don’t intend, but it sure looks like it: if the media would just be positive then we’d all be more positive and no one would be thinking about failed management. In other words - it sure appears you don’t want management to have to answer any tough questions.

Frankly I think the media has given the Pirates a big ol pass for the most part.