Easter double-header thread.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Always great to sweep the first series! Each position player got at least one start and each relief pitcher saw time on the mound against the Tigers.

It took a real rarity to be at 3-0 though. How many times do you win a game in which you have a reliever give up 4 earned runs in less than an inning? Not often. On Friday, the Bucs had two relievers do so.

We deserved a good break out of the gate, and we got it.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Couple of thoughts ...

* First of all, I picked this team to win just 63 games, so hey we are already one-21st of the way there!

* Granted, the Tigers are probably TERRIBLE. But who cares ... 3-0 is 3-0 and it's a road sweep. I don't care how bad the opponent is.

* A bit stunned by the offensive output. Averaging 7.33 runs per game is not sustainable, but it sure is a nice way to start the year.

* Thrilled with Trevor Williams' performance.

* Crossing my fingers that Glasnow MIGHT be turning the corner.

* Rivero obviously ticked off about Friday night and today looked untouchable.

* Only 4 undefeated teams -- White Sox, Nats, Brewers, Pirates.

* I'm just going to enjoy this for the next 15 hours because I never expected this team to be above .500.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I hate to say this, but this sweep doesn't change anything I predicted preseason. Detroit is bad. It probably will be worse than the Pirates come September too.

Yes, 3-0 start sound nice. Let's see how this team plays against relevant teams and it starts tomorrow with Minnesota.

This run output of over 7 runs per isn't sustainable. The pitching is a major concern for all and it should be. Yes, Williams escaped without giving up a run. Five walks isn't that great.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates have a lot of winnable games on the schedule the first month of the season and especially the first few weeks. So they have a great opportunity to get off to a pretty decent start. Can’t get much better then 3-0. It will at least create a little bit of a buzz for the home opener here tomorrow afternoon.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Well that went about as well as you could have hoped. I still don’t see much over 70 wins, as the Tigers are really bad, but a road sweep against an MLB team, I don’t care who it is, is pretty good.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1808093E2828244B0 wrote: I hate to say this, but this sweep doesn't change anything I predicted preseason.  Detroit is bad.  It probably will be worse than the Pirates come September too.

Yes, 3-0 start sound nice.  Let's see how this team plays against relevant teams and it starts tomorrow with Minnesota.

This run output of over 7 runs per isn't sustainable.  The pitching is  a major concern for all and it should be.  Yes, Williams escaped without giving up a run.  Five walks isn't that great.

It's a shame as a Pirates' fan, you claim, that you couldn't enjoy that start to the season. Sorry to tell you this, but there were more positives than negatives in the first three games. The Tigers also have a $45 million more payroll than the Pirates.

Also, Williams didn't give up a Hit.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

29222A262322397C7A0D342C252222632E224D0 wrote: I hate to say this, but this sweep doesn't change anything I predicted preseason.  Detroit is bad.  It probably will be worse than the Pirates come September too.

Yes, 3-0 start sound nice.  Let's see how this team plays against relevant teams and it starts tomorrow with Minnesota.

This run output of over 7 runs per isn't sustainable.  The pitching is  a major concern for all and it should be.  Yes, Williams escaped without giving up a run.  Five walks isn't that great.

It's a shame as a Pirates' fan, you claim, that you couldn't enjoy that start to the season.  Sorry to tell you this, but there were more positives than negatives in the first three games. The Tigers also have a $45 million more payroll than the Pirates.

Cool ... didn't give up a hit, but walked 5.  Sorry, I think walking five is a joke in the amount of innings he pitched.

Detroit sucks.  I don't care about the payroll either.  This to me is like the Pens winning the best of three from Buffalo this year.

I don't get into positives when they beat trash.  I get into positives when they beat good teams.  Sorry.

I enjoy seasons that you can see success coming. I know what's coming down the road.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t expect this to continue either but as I mentioned before if the Pirates are gonna get ahead of the pack some and win games they have to take advantage of a fairly easy schedule in April. They have games against teams such as the Reds,Marlins,the Tigers again for 3 games and the Phillies who are better but still aren’t world beaters. So that is 14 games right there that if the Pirates could go something like 10-4 or even 9-5 they will be in pretty good shape to start the season and I think that record is very doable.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4858596E7878741B0 wrote: I hate to say this, but this sweep doesn't change anything I predicted preseason.  Detroit is bad.  It probably will be worse than the Pirates come September too.

It's a shame as a Pirates' fan, you claim, that you couldn't enjoy that start to the season.  Sorry to tell you this, but there were more positives than negatives in the first three games. The Tigers also have a $45 million more payroll than the Pirates.

Cool ... didn't give up a hit, but walked 5.  Sorry, I think walking five is a joke in the amount of innings he pitched.

Detroit sucks.  I don't care about the payroll either.  This to me is like the Pens winning the best of three from Buffalo this year.

I don't get into positives when they beat trash.  I get into positives when they beat good teams.  Sorry.

I enjoy seasons that you can see success coming.  I know what's coming down the road. 

Enjoy the moment. Why poop on everyone's parade?

I will take 5 walks and 0 hits every time out.

Payroll doesn't matter now? I thought teams with payrolls over $100 million are trying to compete this year (and the Brewers)? Is that no longer true since the Pirates swept a higher payroll team? Ha ha.

Keep pointing out those negatives so the next 159 games will be fun for you.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Why do you care, Dog?   You go into fan-attack mode every chance you get.  Those you always criticize are attacking your beloved front office and this organization.   You, in turn, attack them and challenge their "fan qualifications"

What difference does it make to you? What difference does it make to your bros,  Neil and Bob?  You wanna grab some pom-poms and a miniskirt and cheerlead the FO, nobody is stopping you.   

Why not start a "positive FO only" thread? That can work to isolate you and others from any negatives. Everyone can only say the things they like or liked about what they're seeing. Let's do it