Game Thread: 5-28-18 Bucs vs. Cubs, Memorial Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote: 5-0 Cubs and Hurdle is whining about the umpires and Block thinks he is an umpire.
That was as clear a violation of the "Buster Posey" rule as you'll ever see. Not only did the unnecessary contact (the runner veered from the baseline into the grass to hit Diaz) cause an errant throw, but it also could have significantly injured Diaz. I cannot believe the rule was ignored on such a blatant play. Rizzo went out of his way to hurt Diaz. I hope he bats again and gets a high hard one.

I saw the replay, but it was the Cubs announcers. They were saying how clean it was as he was all over home plate. I didn't think so. His chest slid across home plate, not his legs. That was a dirty play. Was it reviwed? Challenged? How man runs did that cause?

it was viewed a legal slide by replay and that is why Clint got tossed. I saw the video you saw https://www.mlb.com/news/clint-hurdle-e ... -278692024

To me, this has to be a bad call as it means catchers that are a couple feet away from the plate can be hit. Rizzo slid over the plate but went in sideways so he was taking a 3 or 4 foot wide path.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Replay shows Rizzo running straight toward the plate, then veering to his left with his legs in the grass in order to take out Diaz while he reaches for the plate sideways. That's illegal.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why were Cora and Freese fighting in the dugout?

That's not good. A veteran and a coach getting into it. They need to start winning again. Winning brings teams together more than anything.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Replay shows Rizzo running straight toward the plate, then veering to his left with his legs in the grass in order to take out Diaz while he reaches for the plate sideways. That's illegal.

Awful adjudication of that rule. Wonder what would have happened had that been Cervelli ?

Rizzo comes in with Polanco level numbers and naturally has a big day. I hope the events put a charge in the Bucs' energy level for the rest of the series.
Quail

Post by Quail »

77705C4B5D3E0 wrote: Replay shows Rizzo running straight toward the plate, then veering to his left with his legs in the grass in order to take out Diaz while he reaches for the plate sideways. That's illegal.

Awful adjudication of that rule.  Wonder what would have happened had that been Cervelli ?

Rizzo comes in with Polanco level numbers and naturally has a big day.  I hope the events put a charge in the Bucs' energy level for the rest of the series.

As brittle as Cervelli has been Rizzo would have probably taken his leg off below the knee. It was evident from the replay that Rizzo used his legs to target Diaz' leg in order to break up a double play. Dirty and illegal play, the official review and adjudication of which was NHL worthy in its dumbfounding ignorance.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I missed the whole game.

Did Rizzo get another plate appearance after the slide on Diaz, and was he popped first pitch?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

363F372628520 wrote: I missed the whole game.

Did Rizzo get another plate appearance after the slide on Diaz, and was he popped first pitch?

Nope. Two run single in his next at bat.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Whoever was pitching and didn't try to square him up first pitch while losing big late,  should be optioned to Indy for 10 days. 

Someone has to be furious in that clubhouse, holy smokes.  What a sissy to not hit him next at bat.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: Why were Cora and Freese fighting in the dugout?

That's not good. A veteran and a coach getting into it. They need to start winning again. Winning brings teams together more than anything.
That does not sound good. I wonder what they had words about. With only two hits in the game, I would doubt it had nothing to do with Cora sending a runner home. I hope we hear something about why they had words after the game.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

616D6C373E373F32352A30070 wrote: Why were Cora and Freese fighting in the dugout?

That does not sound good. I wonder what they had words about. With only two hits in the game, I would doubt it had nothing to do with Cora sending a runner home. I hope we hear something about why they had words after the game.

Maybe because the pitching staff didn't back Diaz and start whacking people with the game out of hand and the skipper ejected?