Game Thread: 5-28-18 Bucs vs. Cubs, Memorial Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

All gave some; some gave all. May we never forget the sacrifices so many have made so that we get to enjoy things like baseball.

I haven’t started a game thread in awhile. Bucs need a win.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Harrison 2B

Meadows RF

Marte CF

Bell 1B

Dickerson LF

Freese 3B

Rodriguez SS

Diaz C

Kuhl P

Looks like Clint heard those who wanted Meadows moved up in the order. Freese in against the lefty. Perhaps Cervelli is still sick. And I don't mind Rodriguez against the lefty, either.

Zobrist RF

La Stella 2B

Bryant 3B

Rizzo 1B

Baez SS

Schwarber LF

Gimenez C

Montgomery P

Almora CF

I've never understood the strategy in batting the pitcher 8th. The reasoning goes, "It makes your nine-hole hitter like a second leadoff hitter." OK...then why not bat the nine-hole hitter leadoff?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

And according to Adam Berry, who's the Pirates MLB.com beat reporter, Vazquez says he's "fine." We'll see. I'm skeptical until I see him out there throwing again. He's definitely not available to pitch today though.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

And one more bit of news...Nova officially to the DL. Kingham starts tomorrow. Potentially addition by subtraction. You could make the argument that with this move, the Pirates finally have their 25 best players on the roster, with a debate between Frazier and Osuna.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

131B182F391C3B345A0 wrote: Harrison 2B

Meadows RF

Marte CF

Bell 1B

Dickerson LF

Freese 3B

Rodriguez SS

Diaz C

Kuhl P

Looks like Clint heard those who wanted Meadows moved up in the order. Freese in against the lefty. Perhaps Cervelli is still sick. And I don't mind Rodriguez against the lefty, either.

Zobrist RF

La Stella 2B

Bryant 3B

Rizzo 1B

Baez SS

Schwarber LF

Gimenez C

Montgomery P

Almora CF

I've never understood the strategy in batting the pitcher 8th. The reasoning goes, "It makes your nine-hole hitter like a second leadoff hitter." OK...then why not bat the nine-hole hitter leadoff?
I think the idea is that after the 1st inning, the #1 batter rarely leads off an inning. So batting a "2nd lead-off hitter" ahead of him provides a better chance that there will be someone on base when the top of the order comes around again instead of an automatic out.

EDIT: Not sure it makes much difference in today's MLB because by the time a pitcher's spot comes around a 3rd time, there's usually a pinch hitter or a double switch as starters rarely go long enough to get 3 or more ABs.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

674A47565140571714250 wrote: Harrison 2B

Meadows RF

Marte CF

Bell 1B

Dickerson LF

Freese 3B

Rodriguez SS

Diaz C

Kuhl P

Zobrist RF

La Stella 2B

Bryant 3B

Rizzo 1B

Baez SS

Schwarber LF

Gimenez C

Montgomery P

Almora CF

I think the idea is that after the 1st inning, the #1 batter rarely leads off an inning. So batting a "2nd lead-off hitter" ahead of him provides a better chance that there will be someone on base when the top of the order comes around again instead of an automatic out.

EDIT: Not sure it makes much difference in today's MLB because by the time a pitcher's spot comes around a 3rd time, there's usually a pinch hitter or a double switch as starters rarely go long enough to get 3 or more ABs.

I suppose...just seems superfluous to me. Unless Bumgarner or Ohtani is your starting pitcher, I just think the best spot for him is the nine hole.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

Harrison flies out to deep center.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

Meadows flies out to right.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

Montgomery with a no no. :(