Lol. Dave Littlefield interviewed by the Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

The point you may be missing is the local press was all over him, as were fans on this board and the PG board. Nutting listens to Nutting, though. At that point he was evaluating. He didn't care what Littlefield did, he wan't a full view of the operation, from the Latin American program to the MLB level. Littlefield hoped for a miracle from Morris, something to save his job, but didn't get it. And Nutting decided on a complete rebuild, including an investment in the camp in the Dominican, right up through. He hired someone he felt would build with promising players and let them grow.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

33312B2D3B5E0 wrote: The point you may be missing is the local press was all over him, as were fans on this board and the PG board. Nutting listens to Nutting, though. At that point he was evaluating. He didn't care what Littlefield did, he wan't a full view of the operation, from the Latin American program to the MLB level. Littlefield hoped for a miracle from Morris, something to save his job, but didn't get it. And Nutting decided on a complete rebuild, including an investment in the camp in the Dominican, right up through. He hired someone he felt would build with promising players and let them grow.
Problem with that theory from everything I know about the Morris deal SF was willing to pay a large portion of his salary and everyone knew it, that's why I believe he intentionally was trying to harm the Pirates.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2B333136362130372A2B3D580 wrote: The point you may be missing is the local press was all over him, as were fans on this board and the PG board. Nutting listens to Nutting, though. At that point he was evaluating. He didn't care what Littlefield did, he wan't a full view of the operation, from the Latin American program to the MLB level. Littlefield hoped for a miracle from Morris, something to save his job, but didn't get it. And Nutting decided on a complete rebuild, including an investment in the camp in the Dominican, right up through. He hired someone he felt would build with promising players and let them grow.
Problem with that theory from everything I know about the Morris deal SF was willing to pay a large portion of his salary and everyone knew it, that's why I believe he intentionally was trying to harm the Pirates.
It seemed to be common knowledge that Littlefield was probably going to be fired by the end of the season. His only chance to save his job was to make a splash at the trade deadline. Morris was obtained on the last day of the deadline. I believe Littlefield was desperately working the phones to try to save his job but couldn't make a deal. Morris had once been a star pitcher and was clearly on the block. I believe when when he could make no other deal, Littlefield made sure he could at least obtain Morris by offering to take on the full salary so that SF, which was shopping Morris around, would choose the Pirates' offer over any others. Littlefield had nothing to lose. Making no deal would ensure his firing. In the absence of any other deal, obtaining a "name" pitcher who used to be a star might save his job if Morris could put together a few good games as a Pirate. Grossly overpaying for Morris ensured that Littlefield made the only deal he could make by the final day of the trade deadline and at least gave him the opportunity to save his job if Morris exceeded expectations. And if the ploy failed and Littlefield was fired while the Pirates were stuck with paying 10 million for Morris, it wouldn't be a problem he had to deal with.

So while I disagree that he was intentionally trying to harm the Pirates, I believe that Littlefield put the Pirates in a terrible situation in a desperate attempt to save his job when he couldn't think of any other option to save his own neck.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: The point you may be missing is the local press was all over him, as were fans on this board and the PG board. Nutting listens to Nutting, though. At that point he was evaluating. He didn't care what Littlefield did, he wan't a full view of the operation, from the Latin American program to the MLB level. Littlefield hoped for a miracle from Morris, something to save his job, but didn't get it. And Nutting decided on a complete rebuild, including an investment in the camp in the Dominican, right up through. He hired someone he felt would build with promising players and let them grow.
It seemed to be common knowledge that Littlefield was probably going to be fired by the end of the season. His only chance to save his job was to make a splash at the trade deadline. Morris was obtained on the last day of the deadline. I believe Littlefield was desperately working the phones to try to save his job but couldn't make a deal. Morris had once been a star pitcher and was clearly on the block. I believe when when he could make no other deal, Littlefield made sure he could at least obtain Morris by offering to take on the full salary so that SF, which was shopping Morris around, would choose the Pirates' offer over any others. Littlefield had nothing to lose. Making no deal would ensure his firing. In the absence of any other deal, obtaining a "name" pitcher who used to be a star might save his job if Morris could put together a few good games as a Pirate. Grossly overpaying for Morris ensured that Littlefield made the only deal he could make by the final day of the trade deadline and at least gave him the opportunity to save his job if Morris exceeded expectations. And if the ploy failed and Littlefield was fired while the Pirates were stuck with paying 10 million for Morris, it wouldn't be a problem he had to deal with.   

So while I disagree that he was intentionally trying to harm the Pirates, I believe that Littlefield put the Pirates in a terrible situation in a desperate attempt to save his job when he couldn't think of any other option to save his own neck. 

Maybe but what about the Moskos deal another bad, bad, bad, bad, acquisition same year, just seems to me no one could make those two acquisitions who knew the 1st thing about baseball, not even Littlebrains could be that stupid, could he. Just looks like he was trying to hamstring the Pirates for years.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

31292B2C2C3B2A2D303127420 wrote: The point you may be missing is the local press was all over him, as were fans on this board and the PG board. Nutting listens to Nutting, though. At that point he was evaluating. He didn't care what Littlefield did, he wan't a full view of the operation, from the Latin American program to the MLB level. Littlefield hoped for a miracle from Morris, something to save his job, but didn't get it. And Nutting decided on a complete rebuild, including an investment in the camp in the Dominican, right up through. He hired someone he felt would build with promising players and let them grow.

Maybe but what about the Moskos deal another bad, bad, bad, bad, acquisition same year, just seems to me no one could make those two acquisitions who knew the 1st thing about baseball, not even Littlebrains could be that stupid, could he.  Just looks like he was trying to hamstring the Pirates for years.
I believe Littlefield was a horrible GM and that the Moskos selection was a combination of Nutting's tight purse (i.e., no Boras clients allowed) and Littlefield's poor decision making. It's not as if Moskos and Morris were the only bad moves he made and, thus, evidence he was trying to sink the organization. He was always a bad GM who made terrible decisions. Those were just the final two. 
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The Moskos draft was probably the most blatant instance of the old "Drive for 75."
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with Boras, any player who signs with him shows very weak intelligence no matter how good the athlete.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5F474542425544435E5F492C0 wrote: I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with Boras, any player who signs with him shows very weak intelligence no matter how good the athlete.

But you gotta admit that he has gotten a lot of them big, big money. Not always in the most team or fan friendly ways but the player usually is set up for life. Also the teams he dealt with and go to sign his players were also very gullible and willing to spend big sometimes on players who were not worthy of the big contract.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

55747C557E76110 wrote: I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with Boras, any player who signs with him shows very weak intelligence no matter how good the athlete.

But you gotta admit that he has gotten a lot of them big, big money.  Not always in the most team or fan friendly ways but the player usually is set up for life.  Also the teams he dealt with and go to sign his players were also very gullible and willing to spend big sometimes on players who were not worthy of the big contract.
Players select their agents before they are drafted out of HS or college. They want the best deal they can get to begin their professional career. I don't think that shows a lack of intelligence. As fans of a small market team, most of us hate when our players are represented by Boras because it means virtually no chance to keep them when they become free agents. But then again, the Pirates never keep their best players thru free agency regardless of the agent anyway. Nor do they sign any top free agents (last year they were the only MLB team not to sign ANY FAs) regardless of the agent. The best the Pirates do is to sign a few players to extensions like Marte and Polanco. But even that won't happen with Boras, as he always shops his FA players to the highest bidder. Boras is great for the players he represents and terrible for fans of small market teams who can't pay what he insists. I guess the big spending teams don't care who the agent is because they pay for the players regardless.
mouse

Post by mouse »

The Moskos selection itself was driven at least in part by the idea he was close to the majors and could provide a boost to Littlefield's job chances. It confirms, to me at least, that Littlefield's movements towards the end were looking out for his interests in whatever way he could, and not for those of longer term benefit to the team.