Troy Tulowitski...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by CarolinaBucco »

The problem is if you sign him and don't bring in another SS.

Then let's say he's terrible and the Pirates have no viable alternative (like a Hechevarria for example) and are left with the Newman/Gonzalez Experiment.

I'm okay with signing Tulo. I agree, there is no risk. But you HAVE to bring in another SS as well.
BucsFaninGA

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Saw where the Evil Empire, New York Yankees, are looking at Tulo. I am okay with securing a more reliable option to play SS. The points posted by other members of the board ring loud and clear...Sure Tulo can be had on the cheap, but he may not be very reliable...Hope to see Neal Huntington secure a SS before the new year!

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
BucsFaninGA

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Good article on Rum Bunter regarding Tulo

https://rumbunter.com/2018/12/18/pittsb ... represent/
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Hmm . . .

Jason Rollison

@jrollisonpgh

Industry Sources: #Pirates are now considered frontrunners for Tulo

Jason Rollison

@jrollisonpgh

4h4 hours ago

Industry Sources indicate that the #Pirates could sign Tulowitzki as soon as tonight.
OrlandoMerced

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Is there any reason to think that Rollison has reliable sources?
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Oh I have no idea.
IABucFan

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by IABucFan »

OK...before this goes down, I want to be on the record as stating my thoughts...no Monday morning quarterbacking from this guy!

If the Pirates sign Tulo, it's such a typical Pirates move. I hope it works, but this type of signing just epitomizes the way the PBC does business. It reeks of Littlefield, frankly. Washed up, past his prime, former star player. Bring him in for one last go round before the reality of retirement hits. In 2003 it was Reggie Sanders and Kenny Lofton. About a decade later, it was Burnett and Liriano.

Now, I realize that Burnett and Liriano worked out. And, I hope that Tulo proves me wrong and works out as well. But, color me skeptical, at best. In my mind, this is a PR move designed to put butts in seats, have more people tuning in to ATT&T Sports, and sell a few jerseys. I don't see this as being a good baseball move at all.

Like I said back on page one of this thread, five to seven years ago, Tulo was the best SS in MLB, and I frankly don't think there was a close second. This isn't five years ago. And he won't be playing in Coors. Instead, he'll be in one of the worst parks in MLB for a RH power hitter. He's lost a step (or two) defensively. He's been oft-injured, and without watching, I'd bet he's lost some bat speed.

Is Tulo an upgrade over Mercer? Maybe. I'd say it's negligible at this point. But, hey, he costs less. Maybe they'll use the money they save and get another starter to take Nova's spot in the rotation. ::)

The Chisenhall signing I liked, because he's only keeping a spot warm until Polanco comes back. My guess is the Bucs are the front runners for Tulo because they've offered him either a guaranteed starting role, or at least the inside track to one. And heck, if they bring him in, he probably SHOULD have the inside track to starting based on name alone. But that doesn't mean he's a better baseball player than Newman, Kramer, Gonzalez, et all AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

If they were bringing Tulo in to be infield depth off the bench, maybe play a little third, a little first, start at ss once a week, fine. But, I'm guessing that they are selling him on Pittsburgh by promising that his name will be written on the lineup card every day with a "6" next to it, and the chance to play for Hurdle again.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like this move.
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4D4546716742656A040 wrote: OK...before this goes down, I want to be on the record as stating my thoughts...no Monday morning quarterbacking from this guy!

If the Pirates sign Tulo, it's such a typical Pirates move. I hope it works, but this type of signing just epitomizes the way the PBC does business. It reeks of Littlefield, frankly. Washed up, past his prime, former star player. Bring him in for one last go round before the reality of retirement hits. In 2003 it was Reggie Sanders and Kenny Lofton. About a decade later, it was Burnett and Liriano.

Now, I realize that Burnett and Liriano worked out. And, I hope that Tulo proves me wrong and works out as well. But, color me skeptical, at best. In my mind, this is a PR move designed to put butts in seats, have more people tuning in to ATT&T Sports, and sell a few jerseys. I don't see this as being a good baseball move at all.

Like I said back on page one of this thread, five to seven years ago, Tulo was the best SS in MLB, and I frankly don't think there was a close second. This isn't five years ago. And he won't be playing in Coors. Instead, he'll be in one of the worst parks in MLB for a RH power hitter. He's lost a step (or two) defensively. He's been oft-injured, and without watching, I'd bet he's lost some bat speed.

Is Tulo an upgrade over Mercer? Maybe. I'd say it's negligible at this point. But, hey, he costs less. Maybe they'll use the money they save and get another starter to take Nova's spot in the rotation.  ::)

The Chisenhall signing I liked, because he's only keeping a spot warm until Polanco comes back. My guess is the Bucs are the front runners for Tulo because they've offered him either a guaranteed starting role, or at least the inside track to one. And heck, if they bring him in, he probably SHOULD have the inside track to starting based on name alone. But that doesn't mean he's a better baseball player than Newman, Kramer, Gonzalez, et all AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

If they were bringing Tulo in to be infield depth off the bench, maybe play a little third, a little first, start at ss once a week, fine. But, I'm guessing that they are selling him on Pittsburgh by promising that his name will be written on the lineup card every day with a "6" next to it, and the chance to play for Hurdle again.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like this move.

To be fair Reggie Sanders had an OPS over .900 with over 30 HR while on the Pirates, and Kenny Lofton wasn't looking too bad either. That team should have been better than it ended up being.
fjk090852-7

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4A7769646B616A486077666061050 wrote: Is there any reason to think that Rollison has reliable sources?
Rollison was the first to report that the Bucs had a strong interest in Chisenhall prior to his signing. That turned out to be a correct report.
mouse

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by mouse »

mlbtraderumors has an article on Tulo this morning -- https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/ ... -cubs.html

Their take is that no one has the lead yet. He apparently would like one position, not a utility role, with a lot of at-bats, and is willing to play second or third (presumably short also).