Official Game Thread 7/24/2021 Bucs vs. Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4F71747C6F77777C5C796E7D2A180 wrote: Great game, Gregory!  Keep it going for the next few days.
Polanco made me eat my words tonight.

Bucs are 4-2 against the Giants.

It's great that he had a terrific game. It can only benefit the Pirates if another GM thinks Polanco can play like he did last night. But I'm not going to get excited that this will be the norm. His history is that he'll play well for 3-5 games and then bad Gregory will reappear for two-three weeks.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Same can be said for the team as a whole. We lose to the Diamondbacks, do well vs. the Mets and Giants. Win a few here. Lose a few more there. Must be Polanco, Shelton, and Block's doing.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

487D6A6A61586A6A61666A0F0 wrote: Same can be said for the team as a whole.  We lose to the Diamondbacks, do well vs. the Mets and Giants.  Win a few here.  Lose a few more there.  Must be Polanco, Shelton, and Block's doing. 

3 guys who need to go. Block can go today and there would not be a lot of dead money owed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

457067676C5567676C6B67020 wrote: Same can be said for the team as a whole.  We lose to the Diamondbacks, do well vs. the Mets and Giants.  Win a few here.  Lose a few more there.  Must be Polanco, Shelton, and Block's doing. 
I think Michael McKenry deserves a lot of the blame too. :D
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

43626A436860070 wrote: Same can be said for the team as a whole.  We lose to the Diamondbacks, do well vs. the Mets and Giants.  Win a few here.  Lose a few more there.  Must be Polanco, Shelton, and Block's doing. 

3 guys who need to go.  Block can go today and there would not be a lot of dead money owed. 

It takes fewer fingers to count the guys who need to stay.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: Great game, Gregory!  Keep it going for the next few days.

It's great that he had a terrific game.  It can only benefit the Pirates if another GM thinks Polanco can play like he did last night.  But I'm not going to get excited that this will be the norm.  His history is that he'll play well for 3-5 games and then bad Gregory will reappear for two-three weeks.
This is why it's great to listen to the other announcers in this game, you learn some pretty cool stuff.

First, Polanco on this "tear" he's having, has done most of the damage against Arizona and San Francisco. To basically paraphrase two different sets of announcers in two different cities, "Against us, he doesn't look like someone hitting .204" Polanco has for whatever reason hit very well in Arizona, and against the Giants, and Gausman in particular. I think he was hitting some video game kind of average against him.

Of course, there are those who do nothing but bash the Pirates at every turn, and when the team does well, they can turn it into a negative. Somehow, they don't use that overall perspective when applying it to Polanco. I won't name names.
2drfischer@gmail.c

597F786D64687F69610A0 wrote: Great game, Gregory!  Keep it going for the next few days.

It's great that he had a terrific game.  It can only benefit the Pirates if another GM thinks Polanco can play like he did last night.  But I'm not going to get excited that this will be the norm.  His history is that he'll play well for 3-5 games and then bad Gregory will reappear for two-three weeks.
This is why it's great to listen to the other announcers in this game, you learn some pretty cool stuff.

First, Polanco on this "tear" he's having, has done most of the damage against Arizona and San Francisco. To basically paraphrase two different sets of announcers in two different cities, "Against us, he doesn't look like someone hitting .204"  Polanco has for whatever reason hit very well in Arizona, and against the Giants, and Gausman in particular. I think he was hitting some video game kind of average against him.

Of course, there are those who do nothing but bash the Pirates at every turn, and when the team does well, they can turn it into a negative. Somehow, they don't use that overall perspective when applying it to Polanco. I won't name names.

The Polanco of the past four-five games isn’t what the team will get for the next year and two months. I hope no one, especially Cherington, thinks Polanco’s turned some sort of corner. He’s not a good baseball player in any fashion. The sooner he’s gone, the better it will be for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

085E485C534959525F487A5D575B535614593A0 wrote:

The Polanco of the past four-five games isn’t what the team will get for the next year and two months.  I hope no one, especially Cherington, thinks Polanco’s turned some sort of corner.  He’s not a good baseball player in any fashion.  The sooner he’s gone, the better it will be for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

What I find so laughable about those who will not be named, is that somehow they know better than the 29 other GM's who still never traded for him. If he gets traded, it's because of an injury, and the Pirates probably picking up 75% of the salary. I hope he stays hot, it obviously makes the team better, fun to watch, but also makes the game day threads a little more electric!
2drfischer@gmail.c

4B6D6A7F767A6D7B73180 wrote:

The Polanco of the past four-five games isn’t what the team will get for the next year and two months.  I hope no one, especially Cherington, thinks Polanco’s turned some sort of corner.  He’s not a good baseball player in any fashion.  The sooner he’s gone, the better it will be for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

What I find so laughable about those who will not be named, is that somehow they know better than the 29 other GM's who still never traded for him. If he gets traded, it's because of an injury, and the Pirates probably picking up 75% of the salary. I hope he stays hot, it obviously makes the team better, fun to watch, but also makes the game day threads a little more electric!

Exactly. I’m sure both Huntington and Cherington have tried to unload him at various times. Outside of a dire need, there couldn’t have been a single reason for any other GM to want him. Apparently, there hasn’t been a need dire enough in the past two to five years.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Bob Walk really annoys me when he talks about how Polanco is having a down year - Bob, when's the last time he had a good year?