Off Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Off Season

Post by SyrBucco »

I for one would love to see the Pirates resign Taylor Anderson. He was a great fit for our park, and he was the ace of the staff while he was here. Call him a late bloomer. Cost should be reasonable.
UtahPirate

Off Season

Post by UtahPirate »

577D76467167676B040 wrote: I for one would love to see the Pirates resign Taylor Anderson. He was a great fit for our park, and he was the ace of the staff while he was here. Call him a late bloomer. Cost should be reasonable.

M's love the guy. He eats innings, he competes, he's cheap, he'll be a Mariner next year with a new contract in hand.

Until the other night he had the longest run of 5-inning starts in the majors except for the Dodgers Walker Buehler.

I posted here that we should keep him not trade him at the deadline. But we got a prospect catcher who walks a lot instead of a solid starter for next year, which we desperately need.
Bobster21

Off Season

Post by Bobster21 »

74554049714853405544210 wrote: I for one would love to see the Pirates resign Taylor Anderson. He was a great fit for our park, and he was the ace of the staff while he was here. Call him a late bloomer. Cost should be reasonable.

M's love the guy. He eats innings, he competes, he's cheap, he'll be a Mariner next year with a new contract in hand.

Until the other night he had the longest run of 5-inning starts in the majors except for the Dodgers Walker Buehler.

I posted here that we should keep him not trade him at the deadline. But we got a prospect catcher who walks a lot instead of a solid starter for next year, which we desperately need.

You're assuming that as a free agent next year he would turn down other offers from better teams to remain a Pirate. If that's the case, he could still sign with the Pirates in 2022 as a FA. But I think we know that won't happen. Players want to be on competitive teams. Unless the Pirates would grossly overpay, there is no reason Anderson would have stayed if not traded or will sign to return next year.
GreenWeenie

Off Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

So grossly overpay the guy.
UtahPirate

Off Season

Post by UtahPirate »

446964757263743437060 wrote: I for one would love to see the Pirates resign Taylor Anderson. He was a great fit for our park, and he was the ace of the staff while he was here. Call him a late bloomer. Cost should be reasonable.

You're assuming that as a free agent next year he would turn down other offers from better teams to remain a Pirate. If that's the case, he could still sign with the Pirates in 2022 as a FA. But I think we know that won't happen. Players want to be on competitive teams. Unless the Pirates would grossly overpay, there is no reason Anderson would have stayed if not traded or will sign to return next year.

Players also love to be wanted by teams too. And by grossly overpay, do you mean like JA Happ who wanted just one more year. And for a 3rd or 4th starter like Anderson, what is grossly overpay when your team salary is guaranteed to be in the bottom three? Wouldn't want to solidify a pitching staff that already looks like a disaster.

Oh well, we'll keep dumpster diving and get all thrilled by the hope of some deadline trade once again.
GreenWeenie

Off Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

UtahPirate for President, 2024.

A man for The People!
GreenWeenie

Off Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

Grossly Overpay, Yinzer-Style:  $1.00 > LM.
Bobster21

Off Season

Post by Bobster21 »

4061747D457C67746170150 wrote: I for one would love to see the Pirates resign Taylor Anderson. He was a great fit for our park, and he was the ace of the staff while he was here. Call him a late bloomer. Cost should be reasonable.

Players also love to be wanted by teams too. And by grossly overpay, do you mean like JA Happ who wanted just one more year. And for a 3rd or 4th starter like Anderson, what is grossly overpay when your team salary is guaranteed to be in the bottom three? Wouldn't want to solidify a pitching staff that already looks like a disaster.

Oh well, we'll keep dumpster diving and get all thrilled by the hope of some deadline trade once again.
Happ just wanted one additional year with the team that just won 98 games. I would have given it to him. Anderson is not as likely to want to resign with a team that will likely lose at least 98 games. But that's still an option next year f you think they shouldn't have traded him because they could have re-signed him. They can still re-sign him. But I don't think that's very likely.
Ecbucs

Off Season

Post by Ecbucs »

497C6B6B60596B6B60676B0E0 wrote: So grossly overpay the guy. 

I spit coffee out of my mouth when I read this.

Maybe I'll need to get a new computer.
GreenWeenie

Off Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

Probably need some coffee, too.

We need pitching.