The Other Games 2022

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games 2022

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0937323A2931313A1A3F283B6C5E0 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

It's one of the weirder things in sports that the steel town and the car town, 200 miles apart, never really developed a sports rivalry.
I heard recently that MLB is waiting for 32 teams and  is looking

at 4 divisions with 8 teams in each. Divisions would be based on

geography and National League and American League cities would be in the same division-  Example: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Reds,

Baltimore Detroit etc.

If MLB expands by two teams, and it seems likely they will, the locations of those two teams will have a large impact on how the eight, four-team divisions would be aligned. There are many possibilities based upon the two new teams being in cities like Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville/Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, or Las Vegas, or maybe even another metro area I've omitted.
GreenWeenie

The Other Games 2022

Post by GreenWeenie »

Every media expert is an expert, but those I listen to the most think that Charlotte's among the leaders; the other they're not as sure about. 

They say that the entry fee is (get this) $2 billion (billion), and most of that $4 billion total will be divided among the 30 existing franchises.  I don't care what anybody says.  That's a lot of dough. 

So, take $4 billion, divide it by 30, and BOB will have a difficult time convincing me that he can't afford to go out and get some bonafide, legitimate, authentic MLB talent.  Of course, 29 other owners won't have any excuse, either.
WildwoodDave2

The Other Games 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

164056424D57474C4156644349454D480A47240 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

It's one of the weirder things in sports that the steel town and the car town, 200 miles apart, never really developed a sports rivalry.

geography and National League and American League cities would be in the same division-  Example: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Reds,

Baltimore Detroit etc.

If MLB expands by two teams, and it seems likely they will, the locations of those two teams will have a large impact on how the eight, four-team divisions would be aligned.  There are many possibilities based upon the two new teams being in cities like Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville/Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, or Las Vegas, or maybe even another metro area I've omitted. 
`I will go with Las Vegas
GreenWeenie

The Other Games 2022

Post by GreenWeenie »

The scuttlebut there is that Vegas is more likely being held for a relocated franchise, if that comes to be. If Oakland keeps dragging its feet on a new stadium, chances are they'll go there. It's in the west.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games 2022

16282D25362E2E250520372473410 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

Baltimore Detroit etc.

If MLB expands by two teams, and it seems likely they will, the locations of those two teams will have a large impact on how the eight, four-team divisions would be aligned.  There are many possibilities based upon the two new teams being in cities like Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville/Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, or Las Vegas, or maybe even another metro area I've omitted. 

Even with two other major league sports in Vegas now, I’m not sure if MLB wants to be part of that. They may be concerned that they won’t get sufficient crowds at the ballpark 81 times each year. I’m sure they’ll do the necessary research to figure it out.

I’d like to see a team back in Montreal again but those people were darn mad about how the strike in ‘94 ruined that season. It was a long time ago but I don’t know if they still hold a grudge.
3pirates3

The Other Games 2022

Post by 3pirates3 »

"The Seattle Mariners and slugger Julio Rodriguez are finalizing a long-term contract extension that guarantees the rookie standout $210 million over 14 years and could be worth more than $400 million, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/344 ... ources-say

"Right-hander Tyler Glasnow and the Tampa Bay Rays are in agreement on a one-year, $25 million contract extension, sources tell ESPN." - Passan

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 9967376384

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 4484631555
WildwoodDave2

The Other Games 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1B4D5B4F405A4A414C5B694E44484045074A290 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

Baltimore Detroit etc.

Even with two other major league sports in Vegas now, I’m not sure if MLB wants to be part of that.  They may be concerned that they won’t get sufficient crowds at the ballpark 81 times each year.  I’m sure they’ll do the necessary research to figure it out.

I’d like to see a team back in Montreal again but those people were darn mad about how the strike in ‘94 ruined that season.  It was a long time ago but I don’t know if they still hold a grudge.
From what I understand ( Carol said it's not much) Many Major

League players don't want to play and live in Canada. If Covid is still around at that time and it very well could be, that could be an issue as well.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games 2022

655B5E56455D5D567653445700320 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

Baltimore Detroit etc.

Even with two other major league sports in Vegas now, I’m not sure if MLB wants to be part of that.  They may be concerned that they won’t get sufficient crowds at the ballpark 81 times each year.  I’m sure they’ll do the necessary research to figure it out.

I’d like to see a team back in Montreal again but those people were darn mad about how the strike in ‘94 ruined that season.  It was a long time ago but I don’t know if they still hold a grudge.
From what I understand ( Carol said it's not much) Many Major

League players don't want to play and live in Canada. If Covid is still around at that time and it very well could be, that could be an issue as well.

That could be, but another way of looking at it is that there’ll be 26 new major league jobs because a team moved into Canada. If anyone of those guys doesn’t want to take one of those jobs, I’ll be happy to go in their place.
3pirates3

The Other Games 2022

Post by 3pirates3 »

I think the Canadian taxes are the main drawback.
WildwoodDave2

The Other Games 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

In their last 13 games, the Phillies are 12-1 against the

National League Central. They have a 2 1/2 game lead

for the second wild card. Playing the NL Central is the

key to success :)