The Other Games 2022

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The Other Games 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Astros dropped 21 on the White Sox today (8-18) Tony LaRussa was seen with a bottle of Jack Daniels! :D
3pirates3

The Other Games 2022

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Angels announce that Arte Moreno is exploring a sale of the team." - Blum

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/156 ... 84/photo/1

Tommy Romero was DFA by Tampa.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games 2022

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

MLB announced today that the schedule for 2023 will be balanced, at least more so than at my other time in quite a few years. Here are the basics:

1. Each team will now play every other team each season.

2. Each team will play 52 division games, down from the 76 each team plays now.

3. Each team will play 64 Intraleague games, about the same as each team plays now.

4. Each team will play 46 Interleague games.

So there will now be less emphasis on division games in favor of an emphasis on each league’s teams playing an identical schedule outside of their division games.
Ecbucs

The Other Games 2022

Post by Ecbucs »

772137232C36262D2037052228242C296B26450 wrote: MLB announced today that the schedule for 2023 will be balanced, at least more so than at my other time in quite a few years.  Here are the basics:

1.  Each team will now play every other team each season.

2.  Each team will play 52 division games, down from the 76 each team plays now.

3.  Each team will play 64 Intraleague games, about the same as each team plays now.

4.  Each team will play 46 Interleague games.

So there will now be less emphasis on division games in favor of an emphasis on each league’s teams playing an identical schedule outside of their division games.

I wonder if intraleague and interleague games will be equal in my lifetime (meaning really only one league with different divisions).

2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games 2022

260001160010630 wrote: MLB announced today that the schedule for 2023 will be balanced, at least more so than at my other time in quite a few years.  Here are the basics:

2.  Each team will play 52 division games, down from the 76 each team plays now.

3.  Each team will play 64 Intraleague games, about the same as each team plays now.

I wonder if intraleague and interleague games will be equal in my lifetime (meaning really only one league with different divisions).

I think baseball has been moving in that direction since MLB adopted Interleague play.  It started slowly to get fans used to the idea of cross-league play.  Remember the big deal made when Interleague games were played during those couple of weeks set aside each season?  Now, a handful of them are played every week and I never even notice them.  Remember when the league's box scores were reported separately in the newspapers each morning?  They've been mixed together for years now.  Remember when a player was traded from one league to another and his season-long stats were divided?  Remember when the umpires worked for one league or the other? 

Baseball has always been a regional game.  I think MLB wants to take advantage of that, which is why they created (contrived) these "natural rivalries", although some are a real stretch, like the Pirates and Tigers.  I think that one day in the not so distant future there will be a realignment of the leagues where new divisions will emerge based on geography, like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Detroit being placed together.  The AL and NL will remain, but only for the purpose of having two league winners meet in the World Series.
WildwoodDave2

The Other Games 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

065046525D47575C5146745359555D581A57340 wrote: MLB announced today that the schedule for 2023 will be balanced, at least more so than at my other time in quite a few years.  Here are the basics:

I think baseball has been moving in that direction since MLB adopted Interleague play.  It started slowly to get fans used to the idea of cross-league play.  Remember the big deal made when Interleague games were played during those couple of weeks set aside each season?  Now, a handful of them are played every week and I never even notice them.  Remember when the league's box scores were reported separately in the newspapers each morning?  They've been mixed together for years now.  Remember when a player was traded from one league to another and his season-long stats were divided?  Remember when the umpires worked for one league or the other? 

Baseball has always been a regional game.  I think MLB wants to take advantage of that, which is why they created (contrived) these "natural rivalries", although some are a real stretch, like the Pirates and Tigers.  I think that one day in the not so distant future there will be a realignment of the leagues where new divisions will emerge based on geography, like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Detroit being placed together.  The AL and NL will remain, but only for the purpose of having two league winners meet in the World Series.

I think it's a good idea. I play around with it sometimes. Maybe Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland Philly and Baltimore
GreenWeenie

The Other Games 2022

Post by GreenWeenie »

I expect two expansion teams within a few years. That probably plays into some of the thinking. Probably getting ready.
ArnoldRothstein

The Other Games 2022

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

like the Pirates and Tigers.

It's one of the weirder things in sports that the steel town and the car town, 200 miles apart, never really developed a sports rivalry.
WildwoodDave2

The Other Games 2022

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

487B6766656D5B667D617A7D6C6067090 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

It's one of the weirder things in sports that the steel town and the car town, 200 miles apart, never really developed a sports rivalry.
I heard recently that MLB is waiting for 32 teams and is looking

at 4 divisions with 8 teams in each. Divisions would be based on

geography and National League and American League cities would be in the same division- Example: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Reds,

Baltimore Detroit etc.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games 2022

02312D2C2F27112C372B3037262A2D430 wrote: like the Pirates and Tigers.

Maybe it's because the Pirates and Tigers have been in different leagues, the Lions and Steelers have always been in different divisions, and the Pens and Wings have also always been in different divisions. But you're right, the cities aren't that far apart and were similar manufacturing centers. It would seem a natural thing to have a rivalry between them.