Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Quintana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Bucs , Astros and Braves are still showing interest in Quintana. Seems like this rumor won't go away. I am sure the Sox demands must come down if the Bucs were to make this deal work.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Lucas Giolito was optioned to Triple A by the White Sox. I don't know if that was a Super 2 move or because he had a bad spring.

The more I read about Giolito the more I think Glasnow has more of an upside.

I wonder what the asking price for Quintana is now?
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

Lucas Giolito's stock is down.  He got lit up this spring. Glasnow has had a bad spring as well, though not as bad as Giolito.

Both of which just isn't possible because everyone knows that once a pitching prospect is rated so highly, he can hardly fail.

There's the #1 and #2 rated starters performance this spring.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

333A32232D570 wrote: Lucas Giolito's stock is down.  He got lit up this spring.  Glasnow has had a bad spring as well, though not as bad as Giolito. 

Both of which just isn't possible because everyone knows that once a pitching prospect is rated so highly, he can hardly fail. 

There's the #1 and #2 rated starters performance this spring. 

A knock on Giolito is his spin rotation on his pitches. Mostly his fastball. I knew how important fastball movement was, but never really heard the term "spin rotation". Giolito is said to have a low spin rotation. Interesting to know who has a high spin rotation. Glasnow is high, which is good, but probably why he is so wild too.

Huntington is a mix of stats and visual scouting. Maybe he wasn't very high on Giolito and turned him down for McCutchen, assuming that was the offer?
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

Maybe these two guys struggling demonstrates that pitching prospects are a crapshoot and there's a bunch of industry people who just play follow the leader.

But then maybe it's just very small sample size error and both of these guys will be pitching lights out in no time
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

They are both so young. I don't understand the rush. Yeah, they have been in the minors for five years, but they were drafted out of high school. How good was your high school coach? Mine, was awful and didn't teach me anything when I pitched.

Giolito is 21 years old, Glasnow is 22 years old. They have plenty of time to work on their mechanics and learn how to pitch.

To answer dmetz question, I think it is a combination of both. Giolito was a high pick, but Glasnow was a 5th rounder. He was the 152nd pick in his draft. Glasnow has already beat a ton of odds.
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

454E464A4F4E551016615840494E4E0F424E210 wrote: They are both so young.  I don't understand the rush.  Yeah, they have been in the minors for five years, but they were drafted out of high school.  How good was your high school coach?  Mine, was awful and didn't teach me anything when I pitched. 

Giolito is 21 years old, Glasnow is 22 years old.  They have plenty of time to work on their mechanics and learn how to pitch. 

To answer dmetz question, I think it is a combination of both.  Giolito was a high pick, but Glasnow was a 5th rounder.  He was the 152nd pick in his draft.  Glasnow has already beat a ton of odds.

If they need more work to the extent that they have a hard time being even average against major league hitters, they shouldn't be rated so highly right now by the prospect gods.   
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

I have no problem with their ratings, but that doesn't mean they are ready to go. Ratings are usually based on long term.

Position players are usually ranked/rated high even though they are years away. Pitchers seem to be rushed once they are rated highly. Maybe because there are so many pitchers on each team compared to one starting role for position players? Pitchers can learn in the bullpen too.
DemDog

Quintana

Post by DemDog »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: I have no problem with their ratings, but that doesn't mean they are ready to go.  Ratings are usually based on long term. 

Position players are usually ranked/rated high even though they are years away.  Pitchers seem to be rushed once they are rated highly.  Maybe because there are so many pitchers on each team compared to one starting role for position players?  Pitchers can learn in the bullpen too.

Disagree with you there Dog. I do not think the published rankings from whatever source makes diddly squat to the team and how they try to develop the prospects no matter the ranking.

I like P2s ranking system in that they identify a prospect and list the probability of the guy making the MLB. This comes from their hands on approach to actually seeing the prospect in action and from talking to ML scouts and even Pirate development people. On caveat is that P2 might not be nearly as accurate with players from other teams because they do not see them as often.

Most of the big time ranking lists do not get the hands on scouting of a specialized site like P2.

For the most part, I hold most big name Prospect Lists as just a guide and not the absolute truth of a prospect.
dmetz

Quintana

Post by dmetz »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: I have no problem with their ratings, but that doesn't mean they are ready to go.  Ratings are usually based on long term. 

Position players are usually ranked/rated high even though they are years away.  Pitchers seem to be rushed once they are rated highly.  Maybe because there are so many pitchers on each team compared to one starting role for position players?  Pitchers can learn in the bullpen too.

They're #1 and #2 with a year of AAA under their belt and 5 years of pro ball. If they can't put up average-servicable ML numbers this year, they're overrated, not rushed