What would another GM do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6A6D7B737D6A2D21587F75797174367B7775180 wrote: The answer just dawned on me - let's start a Kickstart campaign to buy the Pirates, OBN can own it, Possum being the "face" of the origination and the rest of us can rotate around being GM.

Just be aware, I'm trading the whole team off when it's my turn.

Me the face of the Organization. Hey, I still have the first $ I ever earned peddling newpapers! ;D ;D ;D ;D
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Finally, one last point by me. Relating back to Ia's question: I guess deep down I'm hoping someone that matters in the FO is reading all this and that person is saying to someone else that matters: "we can't keep this up; something has to change. People who love the Pirates are ready to give it up...."

I know it's ridiculous, but I really do hope somebody steps up and does the right thing.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: The answer just dawned on me - let's start a Kickstart campaign to buy the Pirates, OBN can own it, Possum being the "face" of the origination and the rest of us can rotate around being GM.

Just be aware, I'm trading the whole team off when it's my turn.

Me the face of the Organization.  Hey, I still have the first $ I ever earned peddling newpapers!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well brother, id say you're half way to owning your own baseball team!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

For IABucfan (sorry for being short in my response) and others, I realize it's easy to look at responses on OBN in a vacuum and tire of seeing the same complaints. I can only speak for myself but I've been a devoted fan since 1960 and the Pirates are a significant part of my life (rightly or wrongly) and I have reveled in their accomplishments and been frustrated in their failures. And all I ask of them is that they respect us devoted fans enough to do the best they can to maximize their roster.

I love talking Pirates with other fans on OBN. I can talk about the game results. Or the pitching. Or hitting slumps. But that would obviously be ignoring the FO decisions that involve failing to fill holes while maintaining minimal spending. When the Pirates struggle and the gaping holes are obvious and the FO is doing nothing to fill those holes while seemingly hording revenue and clinging to a payroll that is #25 or #26 in MLB, that becomes as much of an insight into the team's problems as any individual player slump. Neither I nor any poster on OBN can affect what happens in the FO or on the field. But the Pirate organization hamstrings itself by the self-imposed restrictions of the FO. Discussing that aspect is every bit as relevant as discussing why Cutch isn't hitting or Watson is struggling, etc.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Of course ther is a lot of venting. But this is a baseball board and the front office moves should be discussed just like the play on the field.

I try to understand the moves. It doesn't mean I believe they were good moves, but I usually understand them. It does get frustrating as others might not see or understand your point, but that is why there is the discussion.

The cheap payroll won in 2013, 2014, 2015 but now for some reason it isn't good enough?  I don't understand that thought process. I don't know why the Pirates would extend so many long term contracts or sign any free agents if they didn't care and just wanted to be cheap. When I ask that question, not many seem to answer or try to answer. Oh well, I still enjoy the board, the Pirates, and the game of baseball.

I do think it is sad how some think Nutting is chasing them away and not bringing them back. The Pirates lost for 20 years straight. 20 years. Since 2011, the Pirates have been competitive. 2013-2015 was some of the most exciting seasons of my life and especially of my adult life.

I think the Pirates are closer to winning again than they are to another 10-20 years of losing. Once they start winning, people will be positive again. Did you notice how many posters went away when they were winning?  I guess there will always be those grumpy people who don't want you on their lawn. I don't live my life in a negative way.