Winter Meetings Begin Sunday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6348494C4C494E73544154494F4E200 wrote: I bet Reynolds is looking for Turner type money. :(

If so, that's his surest way out of town.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

603620343B21313A372012353F333B3E7C31520 wrote: I bet Reynolds is looking for Turner type money. :(

Article in DK Pittsburgh Sports:" Reynolds wants out of the Pirates

for the same reason everyone else does... and that's what must change"
2drfischer@gmail.c

605E5B53405858537356415205370 wrote: I bet Reynolds is looking for Turner type money. :(

I’ll always believe that the first problem to overcome is the inequality between, and among, the franchises with regard to the ability to spend. The second problem is specific to particular franchises, that being an owner’s unwillingness to compete, Bob Nutting being a textbook example.

Indications are that neither problem will be addressed nor resolved in our lifetime.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: I bet Reynolds is looking for Turner type money. :(

I’ll always believe that the first problem to overcome is the inequality between, and among, the franchises with regard to the ability to spend.  The second problem is specific to particular franchises, that being an owner’s unwillingness to compete, Bob Nutting being a textbook example.

Indications are that neither problem will be addressed nor resolved in our lifetime.

I agree because it is not a problem for MLB nor for Bob Nutting. All parties are making money and content with the status quo. The fans hate it but no one cares about that. :'(
2drfischer@gmail.c

072A27363120377774450 wrote: I bet Reynolds is looking for Turner type money. :(

I’ll always believe that the first problem to overcome is the inequality between, and among, the franchises with regard to the ability to spend.  The second problem is specific to particular franchises, that being an owner’s unwillingness to compete, Bob Nutting being a textbook example.

I agree because it is not a problem for MLB nor for Bob Nutting. All parties are making money and content with the status quo. The fans hate it but no one cares about that.  :'(

Yep.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I base payroll comparisons more on the Brewers than I do the Mets, and that Disney money makes me think that we can afford to keep Bryan Reynolds.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

While aging premium starters are knocking down massive sums (e.g. Verlander & Kershaw), and shaky or mediocre starters are earning real money (e.g. Elfin, Clevninger, & Boyd), unpredictable relievers are now enjoying the same largess.

The Yankees, beating out the Red Sox, just signed Tommy Kahnle to a 2 year deal worth a guaranteed $11.5 mil. Kahnle, now 33, hadn't pitched in 2 seasons because of Tommy John surgery, and last year threw all of 13+ innings for the Dodgers.

Prior to 2020, over 8 seasons, he had thrown all of 275 innings, about 35/season, and with mediocre results.

Two comments:

1) Pitchers who are having trouble making it as a starter shouldn't look down on being relegated to the bullpen. An $11.5 mil guarantee at age 33 when you have barely pitched in 2 years is real money.

2) BC can talk about looking for starting pitching and about how the Pirates have the money to even sign 2 starters, but in today's market, that seems like a fantasy, unless the starters are Jimmy Anderson and Ian Snell coming out of retirement.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The problem with these overpay contracts, isn't the obscene money. No mid or small markets are going to pay out that kind of money. The Marlins did it for show with Stanton, and immediately traded him.

The problem is the trickle down effect of the next level contracts. They keep going up too. You look at a team like St. Louis, they locked up two guys, Arenado and Goldschmidt, but have to rely on their system pretty much the rest of the way. Unless it's a guy from their system, they aren't getting FA pitchers like Cole or Scherzer either. They're not even getting second level guys.

MLB is quickly contracting to a small group. We can all keep hoping for that underdog to rise above it all. Atlanta was probably the closest thing to it in 2021, they were 14th in payroll.

I don't blame the Rangers, Phillies or Mets owners for overspending. It's what the fan base demands. I guess if they win one championship out of it, they can ride that for quite some time. Seems it worked out that way for the Cubs and Nationals, look at what happened to those teams. Instead of dynasty, they took their shot, got it, and then went about dismantling the clubs. Both teams rebuilding within three years of winning it all.

The new CBA didn't change much, seems to me that now some huge money is being thrown around, the MLBPA sure is quiet about the Pirates, A's, etc. and their spending ways. Or lack of it. Like someone said above, there's a status quo really developing and no one seems to care.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Certainly not enough care.

We root, root, root for our home team. If they lose, it's a shame, but not a deal breaker. We go back out or tune in and root, root, root some more. We love the game that much.

I would love to know the entire truth in all of this, but I'm probably better off not knowing.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4D786F6F645D6F6F64636F0A0 wrote: I base payroll comparisons more on the Brewers than I do the Mets, and that Disney money makes me think that we can afford to keep Bryan Reynolds.
I was talking with a guy while I was cleaning, and he and I agreed the Pirates should be able to spend the same money as the Brewers, Cardinals, Twins, etc.

The sad part, whether we do or not, is all those teams spending 150-170 million dollars are still being outspent by almost 2-1 by the Mets, Yankees, Phils, Rangers, Angels, Dodgers, Red Sox, Astros and some other teams that are trying to really spend up, like the Padres, Blue Jays.

The Dodgers sat two guys for the playoffs who made a combined 48 million! That's where the difference lies. The Yankees can afford Joey Gallo being a semi bust at 10.275 million. They were able to afford Chapman and Lemahieu not suiting up for 31 million a year between the two of them.

The only chance the Bucs have is to follow the same model as St. Louis and Atlanta, draft well, identify who is worth offering a long term deal with risk of the player never doing well (Polanco) after that first season, and adding in some quality trades/FA like the Cards did with Arenado and Goldy.

I'm liking our chances less and less :-/