Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

070B0A5158515954534C56610 wrote: Now that Bae and Ortiz are on the roster, the Pirates may only add Rodriguez, Burrows, Sabol, and Nunez when they need to set their roster for the Rule 5 Draft.

I think the 6 on 60 day IL will have to be considered. Perez might be a free agent after end of year so they could let him go or not sign him until after the draft.

Cedarlind may be iffy depending on his health.
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

426465726474070 wrote: Now that Bae and Ortiz are on the roster, the Pirates may only add Rodriguez, Burrows, Sabol, and Nunez when they need to set their roster for the Rule 5 Draft.

I think the 6 on 60 day IL will have to be considered.  Perez might be a free agent after end of year so they could let him go or not sign him until after the draft.

Cedarlind may be iffy depending on his health.
Several of the players on the 60 day IL need to be added to the roster, but I still think there are enough fringe players who will be released at the end of the season to make room for some of the 60 day IL players, and to add a few rookies to protect from Rule 5 Draft.
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Next Tuesday is the date teams must add players to their 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft in December. Tomorrow the Bucs must add 5 players on the 60 Day IL to the roster. The roster is currently at 40 players, so due to both these player dates, I am going to assume 8 to 10 players currently on the 40 man roster will have to be removed in order to add the players from the IL, and those to protect from the Rule 5 Draft.
3pirates3

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Cherington said that the Pirates are still working through who they will protect in the Rule 5 Draft, adding that the team will be protecting a 'handful.'" - delos Santos

https://twitter.com/justdelossantos/sta ... 4326138886
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

24677E657663726424170 wrote: "Cherington said that the Pirates are still working through who they will protect in the Rule 5 Draft, adding that the team will be protecting a 'handful.'" - delos Santos

https://twitter.com/justdelossantos/sta ... 4326138886
That’s a very interesting comment. Maybe players like Sabol ,Gorski and Flowers will be protected as well as Endy, Burrows and Nunez.
3pirates3

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have added RHP Mike Burrows, C Endy Rodriguez, RHP Colin Selby and INF/OF Jared Triolo to the 40-man roster.

To make room on the 40-man roster, C Tyler Heineman, RHP Jeremy Beasley, RHP Junior Fernandez and LHP Manny Bañuelos have been designated for assignment." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1592659636741513217
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3E7D647F6C79687E3E0D0 wrote: "We have added RHP Mike Burrows, C Endy Rodriguez, RHP Colin Selby and INF/OF Jared Triolo to the 40-man roster.

To make room on the 40-man roster, C Tyler Heineman, RHP Jeremy Beasley, RHP Junior Fernandez and LHP Manny Bañuelos have been designated for assignment." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1592659636741513217
I am surprised Nunez, Sabol, and Gorski were not protected. I thought Nunez would be protected because he was part of the Quintana trade. We will see what happens in December at the Rule 5 Draft.
MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

I too am surprised about not including Nunez on the list of protected players. I have never seen him play, but he appeared to post good numbers in the minors this year.

I am surprised that BC chose to hang onto Park, who appears to be a redundancy in the organization (middle infielder who doesn't hit all that well and having Newman, Castro, Bae, Marcano, and Cruz available with Peguero and Gonzalez likely not that far away), rather than protecting someone like Nunez, Gorski, and Sabol who appear to have some power.

Continuing, perhaps Choi will be a good addition, but he appears to have mediocrity stamped on his forehead. I want to win at the major league level as much as anyone else, but I would rather give a shot to someone like Andujar or Mitchell at first than giving time to a 1 year player with a .730 or so OPS. Perhaps Choi's spot could have gone to protecting another player.

And, with Heineman now designated, the Bucs essentially have no catchers with major league experience on the roster. Looks like lots of roster turn-over yet to come, particularly if the Pirates make a pick in the Rule 5 draft.
UtahPirate

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

5F737B7C7750677161120 wrote: I too am surprised about not including Nunez on the list of protected players.  I have never seen him play, but he appeared to post good numbers in the minors this year.

I am surprised that BC chose to hang onto Park, who appears to be a redundancy in the organization (middle infielder who doesn't hit all that well and having Newman, Castro, Bae, Marcano, and Cruz available with Peguero and Gonzalez likely not that far away), rather than protecting someone like Nunez, Gorski, and Sabol who appear to have some power.   

Continuing, perhaps Choi will be a good addition, but he appears to have mediocrity stamped on his forehead.  I want to win at the major league level as much as anyone else, but I would rather give a shot to someone like Andujar or Mitchell at first than giving time to a 1 year player with a .730 or so OPS.   Perhaps Choi's spot could have gone to protecting another player. 

And, with Heineman now designated, the Bucs essentially have no catchers with major league experience on the roster.  Looks like lots of roster turn-over yet to come, particularly if the Pirates make a pick in the Rule 5 draft.       

There are several pitchers that seem to be easy subtractions - Ramirez and Underwood being two. And I don't get the addition of Vilade from Colorado. He seems like an easy subtraction (along with Park). The point being if we lose anyone it will seem pretty Littlefield to me. And even losing them for part of the season always seems to hold up their growth.

It's all strategy that I don't completely understand. But honestly, no excuse to take a chance with Nunez - or Thomas or Gorski either.
MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

Geez, completely forgot about the addition of Vilade. I thought they acquired him so they could DFA him and hope that he passes through waivers.

My other comment. These moves - designating some players and adding others is not about the money/payroll. These are talent evaluation issues. I sure hope that BC and his staff evaluated well.