Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Sources: Yankees among teams in contact with Pirates on Bryan Reynolds over recent weeks; one obstacle to a trade is that Pittsburgh prefers starting pitchers to headline the return and top end of Yankees’ system is deeper in position players." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/16 ... 6826824705

"If Pirates trade Bryan Reynolds this offseason, they’re looking for at least one top starting pitcher to headline the package — such as Bobby Miller (Dodgers) or Ricky Tiedemann (Blue Jays), both of whom rank among the top 40 prospects in MLB, per MLB Pipeline." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/16 ... 1294056448

fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6A29302B382D3C2A6A590 wrote: "Sources: Yankees among teams in contact with Pirates on Bryan Reynolds over recent weeks; one obstacle to a trade is that Pittsburgh prefers starting pitchers to headline the return and top end of Yankees’ system is deeper in position players." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/16 ... 6826824705

"If Pirates trade Bryan Reynolds this offseason, they’re looking for at least one top starting pitcher to headline the package — such as Bobby Miller (Dodgers) or Ricky Tiedemann (Blue Jays), both of whom rank among the top 40 prospects in MLB, per MLB Pipeline." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/16 ... 1294056448

I think I would consider from the Yankees, Dominguez, Will Warren and one or two other players to get the deal done. It sure appears that Reynolds will not be a part of the team come Opening Day.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

This concerns me. Not singling Reynolds- or, any player or even any team- out. It's tough enough to win as it is. If a team loses its best talent after only four years or so, I can't see how a championship-level roster is possible. The window is probably a day and a half.

I guess that's why they play the games.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With the trade of Dalton Varsho today, I wonder if the return the Diamond Backs received for him would be similar to what the Pirates can receive for Reynolds. Varsho’s power numbers were very close to Reynolds, and he is still a few years away from free agency as is Reynolds.
Surgnbuck

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Surgnbuck »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: With the trade of Dalton Varsho today, I wonder if the return the Diamond Backs received for him would be similar to what the Pirates  can receive for Reynolds. Varsho’s power numbers were very close to Reynolds, and he is still a few years away from free agency as is Reynolds.
Conforto to the Giants for 2 years and 36 million. He didn't even play last year. Another Boras client with injury history, dealing with the Giants. Very strange.

But despite having two more years in arbitration after this season, we have a barometer for the neighborhood Reynolds will be in when he becomes a FA. Heck, he doesn't even need to stay healthy.

mouse

Bryan Reynolds

Post by mouse »

I think we have to accept that he won't be with the Pirates two more years. The threat of what that first arbitration will bring money-wise will convince the team to make a trade. His value right now is that he's talented, has a relatively cheap year ahead, and then two more years after that at escalating cost. His value in trade goes down each year and his potential cost to hold goes up precipitously. Ben will find a deal he likes rather than lose that value.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

34362C2A3C590 wrote: I think we have to accept that he won't be with the Pirates two more years. The threat of what that first arbitration will bring money-wise will convince the team to make a trade. His value right now is that he's talented, has a relatively cheap year ahead, and then two more years after that at escalating cost. His value in trade goes down each year and his potential cost to hold goes up precipitously. Ben will find a deal he likes rather than lose that value.

I've accepted it before the trade requests was made public.

I'm accepting of it with every player.  It's baseball as we know it.  Enjoy the players while they're here.  I even enjoy some who aren't here.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

546176767D4476767D7A76130 wrote: This concerns me.  Not singling Reynolds- or, any player or even any team- out.  It's tough enough to win as it is.  If a team loses its best talent after only four years or so, I can't see how a championship-level roster is possible.  The window is probably a day and a half.

I think that's accurate. Free agency kicks in after 6 years and teams that don't retain their players will trade them with some control left on the contract to increase trade value. Of course, most teams get an extra half year by manipulating service time as Bucs did with Cruz and others. So trades are generally done after 4.5 or 5.5 years.

That's particularly problematic with pitchers since they often take 3-4 years to reach their potential. Keller is a good example. Last season he finally transitioned from awful to pretty good and shows signs of becoming the dominant pitcher they always expected him to be. But that counted as his 3rd service year. He's a FA in 2026 so they'll be trading i in 2024 or 2025. It's hard to get excited about any pitching prospects like Priester of Contreras when you know the Pirates will suffer their growing pains and then trade them at or near the time they reach their potential.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: This concerns me.  Not singling Reynolds- or, any player or even any team- out.  It's tough enough to win as it is.  If a team loses its best talent after only four years or so, I can't see how a championship-level roster is possible.  The window is probably a day and a half.

I think that's accurate. Free agency kicks in after 6 years and teams that don't retain their players will trade them with some control left on the contract to increase trade value. Of course, most teams get an extra half year by manipulating service time as Bucs did with Cruz and others. So trades are generally done after 4.5 or 5.5 years.

That's particularly problematic with pitchers since they often take 3-4 years to reach their potential. Keller is a good example. Last season he finally transitioned from awful to pretty good and shows signs of becoming the dominant pitcher they always expected him to be. But that counted as his 3rd service year. He's a FA in 2026 so they'll be trading i in 2024 or 2025. It's hard to get excited about any pitching prospects like Priester of Contreras when you know the Pirates will suffer their growing pains and then trade them at or near the time they reach their potential.

We saw it with the "generation" before.  I'll start with our 1/1 pick- Gerrit Cole.  That guy was pretty good out of the wrapper, it seemed.  Took some time to build the roster around him. 

The idea then- as it is today- was to replace guys who left with suitable talent.

I agree that it's a good idea in the lab or classroom, but not sure that it works in everyday life. 

The Astros appear to have followed that process, but they're not exactly low budget.  Our closest comparison might be Tampa.  That's one of 29 if you count them.

ArnoldRothstein

Bryan Reynolds

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

The idea then- as it is today- was to replace guys who left with suitable talent.

I'm not sure this is the idea today. Fifteen years ago, the Coonelly-Huntington team talked about "waves of talent," but they were breaking records in draft spending. Both that and international spending are tightly regulated now. Huntington seemed to think there were a lot of "inefficiencies" that could be exploited in the player market. This group doesn't seem to see those.

It seems to me that what we're seeing is the plan: in two years we'll be good for maybe 3-4 years, but then the team will be razed again and we'll have 4-5 years of losing. I know that sounds pessimistic, but it's only last August that Cherington first used the word "rebuild."