general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:34 pm
Bobster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:47 am

Actually, I’m in Ft. Myers, the old home of the Bucs Spring Training site.
Did you visit Terry Park?
Many times. We play in a tournament for two weeks every November and typically play two or three games there each year. It never gets old. The “stadium” has been refurbished, the old clubhouse is still intact, and there are three large banners hanging on the bleachers that list all of the Hall of Famers who’ve played there. It’s like going back in time. It’s a small facility compared to the ones the Twins and Red Sox have built in Ft. Myers, where we also play, but it’s worth a trip to see for any Pirates fan if they’re in the area.
I played at Terry Park in 2010 in the Hobbs tourney. Yes, not as nice as the other facilities but it has special meaning to us Prate fans.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:11 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:34 pm
Bobster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm
Did you visit Terry Park?
Many times. We play in a tournament for two weeks every November and typically play two or three games there each year. It never gets old. The “stadium” has been refurbished, the old clubhouse is still intact, and there are three large banners hanging on the bleachers that list all of the Hall of Famers who’ve played there. It’s like going back in time. It’s a small facility compared to the ones the Twins and Red Sox have built in Ft. Myers, where we also play, but it’s worth a trip to see for any Pirates fan if they’re in the area.
I played at Terry Park in 2010 in the Hobbs tourney. Yes, not as nice as the other facilities but it has special meaning to us Prate fans.
Right, the other facilities are much nicer but it does feel special to be at Terry Park. Most of the guys I play with aren’t from Pittsburgh so it’s just another place for them to play. But I still like being there knowing I’m playing on the same fields where my childhood heroes played.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ben Cherington met with the local media today, and he indicated they are always looking to upgrade the team, but pitching may not be the priority. I still believe they need another starting pitcher to begin the season. If they don’t acquire someone they may use the opener idea, and use these four pitchers, Priester, Roansy, Falter, and recently acquired Fleming. Their hope may be to get five or six innings with pitching two of them, and then turn the game over to the bullpen.
Possum

Post by Possum »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:49 am Ben Cherington met with the local media today, and he indicated they are always looking to upgrade the team, but pitching may not be the priority. I still believe they need another starting pitcher to begin the season. If they don’t acquire someone they may use the opener idea, and use these four pitchers, Priester, Roansy, Falter, and recently acquired Fleming. Their hope may be to get five or six innings with pitching two of them, and then turn the game over to the bullpen.
That theory doesn't get them anywhere near a .500 record or into the playoffs.
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possum wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:49 am Ben Cherington met with the local media today, and he indicated they are always looking to upgrade the team, but pitching may not be the priority. I still believe they need another starting pitcher to begin the season. If they don’t acquire someone they may use the opener idea, and use these four pitchers, Priester, Roansy, Falter, and recently acquired Fleming. Their hope may be to get five or six innings with pitching two of them, and then turn the game over to the bullpen.
That theory doesn't get them anywhere near a .500 record or into the playoffs.

Possum I agree with you, and now we are a week away from the first ST game, and they still haven’t acquired another starting pitcher. Maybe before the position players are due to arrive, they will acquire that additional pitcher.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

It was also mentioned in the PG that Trevor Bauer's agent had reached
out to the Pirates and the bucs said they were not interested. That should
make Surg very happy.
I also would be remiss in not thanking Possum for again getting the website up
and running again this morning
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:04 pm It was also mentioned in the PG that Trevor Bauer's agent had reached
make Surg very happy.
Bauer's camp seems to think the Pirates could have a change of heart after signing Chapman. He seems like he really wanted to come to Pittsburgh.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:57 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:04 pm It was also mentioned in the PG that Trevor Bauer's agent had reached
make Surg very happy.
Bauer's camp seems to think the Pirates could have a change of heart after signing Chapman. He seems like he really wanted to come to Pittsburgh.
No thank you from you Surg? :) :) :) :) By the way, how is Mr. Man doing?
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Possum wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:57 pm
make Surg very happy.
No thank you from you Surg? :) :) :) :) By the way, how is Mr. Man doing?
He's doing great, helps teach the wee little kids at the dojo, loves playing with his puppy we got three months ago. Growing like a weed.

How's Mrs. Possum? She excited for the upcoming season?
Possum

Post by Possum »

Check this out. Skenes breaks the web of Priester's glove while playing catch. Skenes breaks Priester's glove.

Be sure to read the entire article and watch the videos. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's Go Bucs