What Do You Want The Bucs To Add At The Trade Deadline?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'd consider it too--it would have to be for someone's stud pitcher obviously. 

Even then we'd be taking on the risk as elite pitching prospects seem to tend to snap in half at any moment.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Liriano and Niese have been the biggest problems by far. No one expected them to be this bad. if they were just average, the Pirates would probably be leading the wild card.

The team is still pretty good and got where they are with those bad players. I am all for Huntington making a deal for a starter. The Pirates were second in adding payroll (talent) at the deadline last year and didn't trade any significant pieces. Happ was the best pitcher dealt at the deadline based on results last year. People laughed at that move, but Huntington was right. he can make a similar deal again without sending Meadows or any other difference maker.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

What's funny is that that we have the  same needs today as we had Jan 1st. 

We needed bullpen help a month and a half ago (we needed pen help on opening day), and still do.  Especially with this patchwork rotation never making it to 6 innings.    Add quality pen arms.   Get rid of Niese.   

That would be a good start. We need quality starting pitching but after the rotation tanking for half a season and the young guys up now, we're in the pickle of not wanting to spend money on anyone long term (nothing new there), and not wanting to give up talent for an unsure fix (nothing new there either)

At least the board isn't talking about selling anymore.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Happ was more of a lucky break then anything. Now to his credit Searage tinkered with his delivery and now he is one of the better pitchers in the American League. I still think this team can win with the young arms they have now. We obviously aren't going to trade for any positions players as we are good there. I agree though if your plan is to bring in a difference maker in this rotation then at the very least you're going to have to give up a guy like Meadows to do so. Would I consider it?? Sure but I doubt the Pirates will do it.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

With the payroll constraints, I don't think I'd consider moving Meadows, Bell, Taillon and Glasnow. Those four are all close to/in the majors and are just too valuable for the organization.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

5B6678757A707B597166777170140 wrote: With the payroll constraints, I don't think I'd consider moving Meadows, Bell, Taillon and Glasnow.  Those four are all close to/in the majors and are just too valuable for the organization.

Agreed. These are the guys that make it so there is no "window" we are working within to win a championship...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

321504000518271304050518610 wrote: Happ was more of a lucky break then anything. Now to his credit Searage tinkered with his delivery and now he is one of the better pitchers in the American League. I still think this team can win with the young arms they have now. We obviously aren't going to trade for any positions players as we are good there. I agree though if your plan is to bring in a difference maker in this rotation then at the very least you're going to have to give up a guy like Meadows to do so. Would I consider it?? Sure but I doubt the Pirates will do it.

The last three years trades were made and helped the team. What is your definition of a "difference maker"?

Just because people didn't like the Happ trade at the time and it worked out great, doesn't mean it was lucky. Why can't Huntington get credit for that trade/find?

None of the top prospects will be dealt. Just like the previous three years.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I'm not going to argue with anybody about what the Pirates will and won't do, but I don't see how trading a coveted prospect for a controlled young pitcher closes any window. We have team friendly deals throughout our outfield right now and another low contract hitter coming soon. I am just proposing shifting our assets from the outfield to the mound.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

133625302C272C2D2820440 wrote: I'm not going to argue with anybody about what the Pirates will and won't do, but I don't see how trading a coveted prospect for a controlled young pitcher closes any window.  We have team friendly deals throughout our outfield right now and another low contract hitter coming soon.  I am just proposing shifting our assets from the outfield to the mound.

A couple of thoughts. I think Meadows is viewed as the heir to McCutchen not trade bait. McCutchen is more likely to be traded. The Braves are going to demand a ransom, unless blown out of the water, they have years to continue dangling him out there until a team like the Pirates, Dodgers or Red Sox meet their prospect demands.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6368606C6968733630477E666F6868296468070 wrote: Happ was more of a lucky break then anything. Now to his credit Searage tinkered with his delivery and now he is one of the better pitchers in the American League. I still think this team can win with the young arms they have now. We obviously aren't going to trade for any positions players as we are good there. I agree though if your plan is to bring in a difference maker in this rotation then at the very least you're going to have to give up a guy like Meadows to do so. Would I consider it?? Sure but I doubt the Pirates will do it.

The last three years trades were made and helped the team.  What is your definition of a "difference maker"?

Just because people didn't like the Happ trade at the time and it worked out great, doesn't mean it was lucky.  Why can't Huntington get credit for that trade/find?

None of the top prospects will be dealt.  Just like the previous three years.

A difference maker is a pitcher besides Cole who can pitch in a one game playoff if needed and beat a guy like Arietta,Bamgarner,Cueto, Kershaw etc, and who can pitch two times potentially in a 5 or 7 game series with guys like Cole,Taillon and Glasnow and help win this team at least one playoff series and a possibly a pennant for the first time in 37 years. In order to get that guy you're going to have to give up either Bell,Taillon, Glasnow, or Meadows to do so.